Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Poll: keyhole knee surgery tomorrow – to watch or be knocked out?
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Is it a bit eurrrggh to watch on the screen as the surgeon pokes about? I can have a general anaesthetic or just my legs..

:-S

Creg

I didn’t get a choice when I had keyhole a couple of months back, out like a light

Harry_the_Spider

I’d go for local and shut your eyes.

If they knock you out they bum you*.

* perhaps.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I’d go for local but not watch too.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

So if I go for general do I still definitely get bummed even though it’s BUPA?

Surely I pay for the choice? :-/

sc-xc

You will get bummed by a general that lives locally.

avdave2

So if I go for general do I still definitely get bummed even though it’s BUPA?

Yes but they’ll use lube.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

And a cup of tea afterwards?

Ok, so trying to remain vaguely serious just for the briefest of moments – whaddya fink? I’m not sure I want to hear the drilling/scraping…

stanley

I’ve had two, both under a general anaesthetic. Wasn’t given a choice; I asked about a local but they said “no way” as they have to move the knee about so much.

ps. Don’t think I got bummed, but woke up with a sore throat :-/

avdave2

ps. Don’t think I got bummed, but woke up with a sore throat :-/

Perhaps you were a bit loose for them.

sam_underhill

+1st for a local. I had rawl plugs put into my shoulder to reattatch my rotator cuff done with key hole. I was sedated as well so it felt a bit like a dream; until he started hammering that is!

I got a dvd to relive the experience.

Btw, general is really bad for you. Avoid it if you can.

stanley

Generals aren’t great for you but I love them!

Had a bit of an unlucky run and had 3 in the last two years. I love that feeling of it going into your arm, that spaceyness as you start to go under, wicked, wicked dreams and that ace “where am I” feeling afterwards. I even like the taste!

catfood
    Free Member

I had a local for a foot op I had last year, could have watched but decided against it and just chatted to my surgeon instead.

One thing I will say is the tap they did in my leg to deaden it was probably the most painful experience of my life. Isnt it ironic.

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

General anaesthetic really messes with me, feel very rough for a couple days after. I’d always go local if given the choice.

scraprider
    Free Member

asleep for all mine.+ 1 for sore throat , bruised knees etc.

domino

Local – the recovery time is far quicker… or so an Orthopaedic surgeon told me when I observed a Knee Replacement op. The anaesthetist nattered to the patient throughout a lot of the procedure and she couldnt see what was going on because of there being a screen.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

GA still carries a small risk you won’t wake up from it so if at all possible I’d go for a local and not take the risk.

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

just had my ankle done and was bricking it to get knocked out. However once the told me a local involved a spinal tap I quickly change my mind.

Just a little thought for you.

Knocked out was brill after the many weeks being scared of it. Pus if you tell them after it its really sore they ply you full of yummy morphine:)

Woody
    Free Member

Definitely local, less risk……and watch too, it’s quite fascinating + it keeps them on their toes 😉

pennine
    Free Member

General with no after effects and walked out two hours later. One thing I did do is keep the leg elevated for a few days & a pillow in bed. Didn’t experience any pain or discomfort either.

bruk

Oh gotta watch that. Make sure he does it right. When he ges quiet and starts ignoring your questions he’s concentrating. Leave him to it then.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’m with stanley….general is ace.I’ve been under 4 times in the last 2 years.2 knee ops,1 dislocated shoulder,1 apendectomy and was never given a choice.I don’t drink so the feeling of waking up semi naked with no idea about what happened for the last 4 hours is still pretty cool to me 😀
    Theres worse ways to go than dying in your sleep.

southernsteel
    Free Member

I had general when I had mine done. Didn’t have a choice but like some others I think it feels good.

theotherjonv

I’ve only had a general once, for of all things a toenail resection (was on offer from BUPA and the surgeon seemed keen). Having subsequently had a ring block anaesthetic in the base of my finger after a cricket break was quite pleased with the choice, I don’t like having my feet touched at the best of times.

So not that experienced but found it very relaxing, as your arm goes cold and then bang, you’re away.

Didn’t like coming round in the recovery room a bit too early and still having a tube in. I was grunting at the nurse to get her attention but seemed like ages before she realised and came and took it out. That’s where the sore throat came from.

lewislippiatt
    Free Member

I wasn’t given the choice, but I think I’d have gone for general if I had been.

Are you having cartilage work or something more involved?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Ouchy :-S

Well in the end the anesthetist strongly recommended a general as I’m otherwise fit (ish) and healthy.

I’m home now and have no less than three lots of lovely drugs to choose from. It doesn’t hurt so much now but when I first woke in the recovery room – my fxuking h3ll!! I’ve never experienced pain like it!!

Harry_the_Spider

Sore ass?

nonk
    Free Member

well done mate onwards and upward from here eh.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Sore throat!

Urrgh

At least 6 weeks off the bike and even then we’re talking only gentle spinning on the road.

Oh well, lots of scraping and removal of scar tissue (I had a major off 4 yrs ago) but thankfully it looks like there’s no damage to important bits etc..

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Poll: keyhole knee surgery tomorrow – to watch or be knocked out?’ is closed to new replies.