Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • politics and northern ireland
  • iDave
    Free Member

73% want to remain part of the UK, inc’ 52% of Catholics.

Oddly when I was growing up as an Ulster protestant I’d have voted for a
    United Ireland.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Given the state or the economy in the South I imagine that this was the most favourable point in recent history to conduct this survey. If the South was still the Celtic Tiger I imagine folks in the North might have been more inclined to think a united ireland was a good idea.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I ask the Irish rather often if they’d like the North join the Republic. They seem to be mostly against it. Why? Because the North doesn’t really know if it wants to join or not. TBH whatever happens there’ll always be those opposed to it.

themountaingoat
    Free Member

Doesnt Gerry Adams have the safest seat of any UK MP? Not that he would ever go to the houses of parliament of course.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I think the numbers may be skewed because of the state of the Republic these days. But mind you in saying that i don’t think a united ireland will ever be achieved until the society de-polarises, I’ve said it many times, if a UI is to happen they need to take the unionists willingly with them, either that or you just take a whole shedload of baggage. It’ll be atleast another 30 years if it is going to happen imo.

molgrips
    Free Member

If people are voting along economic lines, that could be considered a positive sign perhaps.

I’ve always wondered – is it significant whether or not people from NI describe themselves as Irish or British btw?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

do you really want to know?

<Warning, sweary in the extreme>

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koY6kXhQDQo[/video]

iDave
    Free Member

I see myself as Brirish

I always say I’m Irish when asked though.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The video man should present the news.

seosamh77
    Free Member

If people are voting along economic lines, that could be considered a positive sign perhaps.

I’ve always wondered – is it significant whether or not people from NI describe themselves as Irish or British btw?Any i know are Irish pure and simple and it’s quite important to them. I’ve a skewed experience of that in that people i know only come from republican areas.

Hairychested
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-2UTXffglw&feature=related[/video]

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I reckon the status of a United Ireland or not will become less relevant as we move towards more integrated Europe. Whether or not NI is part of the UK will matter less as these all become parts of the greater European Nation

molgrips
    Free Member

Federal Britain…

bikebouy
    Free Member

“Sits back with large coffee and fig rolls in hand”

Carry on…

BermBandit
    Free Member

Call For Tankslapper…..

Is there a Mr Tanskslapper in the house?

Call For Tankslapper…..

sssimon
    Free Member

I’m Northern Irish

I have a british passport and I’d class myself as British rather than Irish if I had to chose but I don’t get hung up on it

Hairychested
    Free Member

I always thought it was the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland… So you would not be really British, would you? Or am I totally wrong?

uplink
    Free Member

ooooohh………. this is rapidly moving into a Garibaldi phase

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I’m Northern Irish and carry a British passport. However I would have no problems being descibed as Irish or being ‘from Ireland’

My parents/grandparents are strongly unionist and would be against any sort of agreements with SF or the Rep of Ireland etc. I think that this Paisley type ‘No Never’ attitude is fading out. Younger people in NI are more concerned with jobs/housing/education etc than being dragged into sectarian politics. Also many politians here have little credibility (Iris Robinson) and seem to be in it for the money and care little about issues on the ground.

I think one of the key changes in my views came from attending a mixed secondary school, this was very rare in NI 20 years ago and even now most schools are classed as protestant or catholic. It is only through integrated education, sporting clubs and social events that this understanding can develop and should be encouraged where possible.

Many of My friends who live in Rep Of Ire currently are looking to leave due to the lack of prospects and think that a better quality of life can be had elsewhere.

I think due to the economic situation in the south the poll has come out this way, but I don’t see that changing in my lifetime, I would definately want to remain part of the UK for albeit slightly better prospects.

It would be interesting to see the ages of the people surveyed and where in NI they were from.

sssimon
    Free Member

Hairychested – Member

I always thought it was the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland… So you would not be really British, would you? Or am I totally wrong?

britain and great britain are two different things

konabunny
    Free Member

I always thought it was the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland… So you would not be really British, would you?

Citizenship /= nationality.

FG
    Free Member

This has always been the case, even when we still held the republic. We proposed home rule for all Ireland early last century and the Ulster protestants were opposed to it.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Ok, so Britain is the island next to Ireland (the larger one). What is Great Britain if not Britain that’s Great?
    Loads of NI people I know say they’re Irish. Few say British. It was very different when I lived in London(-ish).
    Citizenship doesn’t equal nationality, no argument here. Hence you can be Irish and British at the same time, would it be correct?
    BTW If Ulster joined RoI even Chain Reaction would be very expensive.

uplink
    Free Member

I always thought it was the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland… So you would not be really British, would you?

The Good Friday agreement gave anyone from Northern Ireland the right to identify themselves as British or Irish or both

Hairychested
    Free Member

Thanks, I really didn’t know. That explains a lot.

molgrips
    Free Member

Citizenship doesn’t equal nationality, no argument here. Hence you can be Irish and British at the same time, would it be correct?

Yeah, you can be Scottish and British too. Although would it be more accurate to call yourself Northern Irish and British? Or Ulster? Hard to say.

konabunny
    Free Member

The Good Friday agreement gave anyone from Northern Ireland the right to identify themselves as British or Irish or both

Huh? Couldn’t you always British and/or Irish citizenship if you were born in the relevant area ( 😉 )? And there has never been a legal barrier to espousing whatever nationality you wanted…

Lifer
    Free Member

The ‘Great’ in Great Britain comes from time we had territory in Brittany.

This island was ‘Greater Britain’ and Brittany was ‘Lesser Britain’.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The passport is a UK passport. As in the United kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Great britain is the island that is made up of Scotland England and Wales IIRC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom

uplink
    Free Member

Huh? Couldn’t you always British and/or Irish citizenship if you were born in the relevant area

No idea but the relevant paragraph is below …..

The “birthright” of all the people of Northern Ireland “to identify themselves and be accepted as Irish or British, or both”, is also recognised, as well as their right to hold both British and Irish citizenship; and that these rights are not to be affected should Northern Ireland become a part of a united Ireland.

konabunny
    Free Member

uplink: the way I read this (and for whatever it’s worth wikipedia agrees) is that this is not the creation of a right but a recognition of a fact

tankslapper
    Free Member

Someone call

I’m all for a united Ireland so much so I want it as soon as possible…….

tankslapper
    Free Member

Someone call

I’m all for a united Ireland so much so I want it as soon as possible…….

ratswithwings
    Free Member

If the ENglish were repatriated back to Denmark holland and Germany couldnt we revert back to being called Britain and have a united britannia and seek closer alliance with Brittany ?

molgrips
    Free Member

No, you’d have repatriate the Brits to central Europe then. Actually, you’d have to kick everyone out and install a big ice cap.

Or better still – move all the continents of the world back together in a giant continent near the equator.

And possibly melt the entire earth.

iDave
    Free Member

^^^^^^^

ocrider

Yeah right.
    Free Gondwanaland! 😆

ratswithwings
    Free Member

I prefer the ice cap. Can we go with that and move everyone out?

ollymac
    Free Member

Guy with the glasses being street interviewed brilliant!

When and were grew up saw the tricolours pole mounted than I care to remember, and through the hunger strike period as a primary school boy,

Back then it just seemed like a game, helicopters landing everywhere squadies in every hedge row.

90% of my mates and I only had one Faith.

How many paddels we could squeeze out on a bmx wheelie!

University seen many topics like this, many suspecting you a as sleeper. Reset just who were are.

Sports expeditions later , had me leading ground breaking projects in UK team bassis never once bothered of the flag above.

Flags in NI are for dogs, marking there teritory.

Life is way to short to worry, about nationalistic crap.

Never seen mask gun men ever cutting pensioners grass. So no support here.

Till then I remain a member of illegal operating group (IMBA)

Unofficially building trails.keeping youths .of street’s,

Support IMBA in NI.

Just under 2million poeple, with one 4km.loop!

Oliver

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The ‘Great’ in Great Britain comes from time we had territory in Brittany.

I think you might find it was the other way round…….when the French had territory in Britain.

The Plantagenet Empire at the time of Henry II, who incidentally like Richard the Lionheart, was born in France, only spoke French, and died in France.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘politics and northern ireland’ is closed to new replies.