• This topic has 23 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by br.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • 'Political' people – especially at work – how to deal with them
  • brooess
    Free Member

I mean the kind of people who always seem to have an agenda, always seem to be thinking about what they can get out of a situation, never tell you what they really think, and don’t seem to fathom that when you say something, you might actually be saying what you really think…

You know the kind of people I mean?

Our head of dept in my last company was like this – told one of her direct reports he should be ‘more political’ – but he was a genuine, competent guy who just wanted to do his job well and go home and didn’t appreciate the lack of respect for his own non-political style. I think the Head of Dept was just a paranoid and insecure person tbh.

There seems to be a lot of people like this (maybe my fault for choosing marketing as my profession of course!) – who just don’t seem to be able to believe that you’re being honest and always assume you have another agenda (basically transferring their beliefs onto you)

So how to deal with them? I’d prefer to just stay away but when they’re your boss or head of dept that’s not so easy…

Junkyard
    Free Member

ignore dela with when in front of me then ignore some more.
    Certainly dont become like them

Hicksy
    Free Member

*Wonders why the OP is asking, what’s his/her agenda!* 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    LsD
    Free Member

Wait until they’ve been working late one winter evening.

Deserted car park
    Balaclava
    Knife
    Leon.

They soon get the message…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

That’s a bit drastic. 😯

Why not just surreptitiously do a poo on their bonnet?

joolsburger
    Free Member

You work in marketing and seem surprised at this? It’s probably their personal branding.

Ignore it and it will most likely go away.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have never been able to. Takes me by suprise every time when I fall into their traps – one reason why I will never take on supervision for lots of staff again.

so sorry – I can’t help you

Onzadog
    Free Member

do they put 110% into this agenda?

grum
    Free Member

So how to deal with them? I’d prefer to just stay away but when they’re your boss or head of dept that’s not so easy…

I dunno – but it pains me that people who are ‘good’ at this kind of thing often seem to do well and end up in positions of responsibility. 😡

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

there’s a whole bunch of them running the country…

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

I’ve found the best way is that I simply don’t interact with them, do pretty much all communication with them by Email – so that when it turns into an argument I have an exact record of what I actually said, and not what they misconstrued.

If you’re clever, you can word things in a very flat, sardonic and cutting manner, whilst it could equally be read as perfectly civil, if slightly over polite!

really **** em up when they complain about this, that or the other, and you just go “wait a minute, what I actually said was…”

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

You need to develop a reputation as someone who calls a spade a spade and is not afraid to speak their mind. If you accompany this with being helpful beyond the call of duty then you will get on fine.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Wait until they’ve been working late one winter evening.

Deserted car park
    Balaclava
    Knife
    Leon.

They soon get the message…

What that a Greek bloke called Leon is going to serve them a portion of stickly pastry treats made with honey and pistasio nuts?

what sort of message is that to give?

McHamish
    Free Member

More political eh?

Tell him to fiddle his expenses.

geoffj

One man’s politicking is another man’s self awareness / proactivity. You need to be aware of what goes on around you and respond / act accordingly. Sure there’ll be a lot of underhand / back stabbing stuff, but we don’t live in a world where you get on without understanding and being able manipulate peoples motivation.

supertramp
    Free Member

I just can’t play those sort of games, that’s why I don’t work in an office. Hats off to those who can but it’s just not for me.

I like to think i am pretty straight talking, and i do take what others say on face value!

dekadanse
    Free Member

Robots – human brains and emotions surgically removed and replaced by chip technology. Look for the incision point – normally up their a**e.

However, these ‘folks’ are normally pretty predictable, and it pays to stay one step ahead of them by knowing who or what turns them on and provides the authorised script from which they read at any given time. The script will change pretty frequently, depending on who they’re crawling to and who they want to impress. Do not expect consistency, and beware – they normally inhabit an ethic-free zone. They will normally score highly on marketised gobbledigook too………..but so long as you start to learn what makes them tick, you’ll be able to handle them and feel smug too, because behind all the bullshit they’re normally as insecure as hell.

Good luck, and to thine own self be true.

Swelper
    Free Member

Karma is they key, what goes round comes round, sit back in self satisfaction and watch in time how the mighty a**e lickers / backstabbers / political shakers and movers fall. And they will in time

I just sit back and watch it all go on, quite funny how narrow minded people can be. Heaven forbid if they put in as much effort getting on with their own lives than commenting on others

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You describe the people at work who are rubbish at playing the political game… You’ll really like the people that are great at it… they’ll seemingly be straight talking, endlessly selfless whilst dry bumming you the whole time.

LimboJimbo

Swelper, I admire your optimism but those with a face that fits do seem to lead a bulletproof existence, certainly in my line of work. It is satisfying when they do fall though.

It seems these days every workplace is full of ‘alphas’ making the right noises, delegating the crap and taking credit for it anyway.

I’d love to just ignore the manoeuvring and get on with it but the reality is, unless you keep an eye on what they’re up to, you’ll end up one of the the muppets they tread on on their way up.

brooess
    Free Member

You describe the people at work who are rubbish at playing the political game… You’ll really like the people that are great at it… they’ll seemingly be straight talking, endlessly selfless whilst dry bumming you the whole time

You’ve met my last boss then?

yossarian
    Free Member

You describe the people at work who are rubbish at playing the political game… You’ll really like the people that are great at it… they’ll seemingly be straight talking, endlessly selfless whilst dry bumming you the whole time.

This is bang on the money. After a certain point in the organisational strata EVERYBODY is a politician, particularly those who deny it the most.

Be yourself
    Tell the truth
    Align yourself with whoever can help you to get your job done
    Honour commitments
    Keep moving

Dekadanse is also right, usually middle management, easily manipulated once you’ve spotted them.

Lifer
    Free Member

I’ve found the best way is that I simply don’t interact with them, do pretty much all communication with them by Email – so that when it turns into an argument I have an exact record of what I actually said, and not what they misconstrued.

100% agree with this.

br
    Free Member

I’m crap at politics but good at getting the job done. Political people get me in to get the job done, take the credit and then ‘dispose’ of me. Consequentially I’ve always an ‘end-game’ planned – 6 times laid off and 6 (large) cheques in the last 15 years.

The last one accompanied by a year off, riding 3-4 times per week 😆

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘'Political' people – especially at work – how to deal with them’ is closed to new replies.