Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 214 total)
  • Political Correctness (Gervais, Twitter, possibly offensive word content)
  • Edukator
    Free Member

It’s perfectly Ok for blacks to make jokes about blacks, handicapped people can joke about handicaps, fat people can joke about fatties. Self-derision doesn’t normally cause offence so why is mong causing upset in this case?

That I’ve read this thread is highly reprehensible though. #sits on a drawing pin and logs off#

tazzymtb

I dispair at how insensitive, unthinking and bigoted many of the poster are

to be fair they are usually a lot funnier than the great big wet hand wringing PC nazis and Victorian sensibilities brigade that you spear head TJ 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

a lot funnier than the great big wet hand wringing PC nazis and Victorian sensibilities brigade that you spear head

Bigotry occurs on every side of every fence.

Junkyard
    Free Member

derek – you dont like the label racist but think you can use other derogatory labels without offending people …have a think abut it and get back to us

tazzymtb

Bigotry occurs on every side of every fence.

what fence?

trailmonkey

the offence ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

PC nazis and Victorian sensibilities

Fantasic description – godwins law? 😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

tm 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

it was the three day ban by the faceless hand wringer without recourse or question that offended me.

good – you probably deserved it given that IMO they allow far more to go on that is acceptable.

derekrides
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member
    derek – you dont like the label racist but think you can use other derogatory labels without offending people …have a think abut it and get back to us

I don’t like debating with grown men who think it’s cool to wear lycra, i like it even less if they somehow think they can pass judgement on anything I might say or do..

I told you, i don’t care what or how you label me, you don’t actually know me or derek, but I wouldn’t ban you from saying whatever you like about either of us, other than if you continued to press me to consider spandex in my immediate future..

I’d be interested to read how some of the muppets here even define racism yet condone the use of road wear on a mountain bike forum.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

they allow far more to go on thatn my personal opinion thinks is acceptable.

FTFY.

Your opinion is not the only one.

derekrides
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    it was the three day ban by the faceless hand wringer without recourse or question that offended me.
    good – you probably deserved it given that IMO they allow far more to go on that is acceptable.

Yep, the same way you probably deserved to lose your job for spending too much time on here..

Junkyard
    Free Member

sorry, my mistake, I thought we could have a grown up conversation

Forgive me

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

they allow far more to go on thatn my personal opinion thinks is acceptable.
    FTFY.

Your opinion is not the only one.

Which makes it all the more strange that you ‘fixed’ it by taking out the ‘IMO’.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Derek, have you been reading Dale Carnegie?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Something needs to be reported here.

Immagonna go with JY and TeeJ. For being horrible and racistist.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hard to copy/paste on my tablet. Apologies.

My point remains, however. The least tolerant of other opinions/views tend to be those of the utopian left view on here. Any view that differs is treated with disdain.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yep, the same way you probably deserved to lose your job for spending too much time on here..

Nice

FWIW i don’t post from work – I got sacked last week.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Well, do take your time to correct it so that it makes sense, otherwise the FTFY is just wrong. You point was that it was only his opinion, but he had stated that it was his opinion. Was it just TJ bashing gone awry?

Wow! derek and …erm…. Derek have made TJ likeable. Who would have guessed?.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Teej, is that serious? The getting sacked bit?
    If so, really sorry to hear that. Have you got anything else lined up?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Utter bollocks flashy.

(when you get round to getting it to make sense). You shouldda got an iPad.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No Flash, Darcy. 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It is CFH. Thanks Very very pissed of at the way I was treated . I can always temp

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Are there two Dereks?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I think someone’s been caught out!,

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bu99er. Sorry to hear that, TJ, really. A friend got bumped recently, and it’s never nice or easy. Fingers crossed for the future, eh? Why not go and work in a bar! You’d be the ideal cross-bar confessional barman! 🙂

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

“I think in a lot of cases it’s just plain attention seeking on behalf of the hand wringers, seriously do you think for one moment the actual downs syndrome sufferers themselves are at all offended by Gervais’s remarks, wether or not it was aimed at them. No, it’s those tasked with the job of caring for them, or those parents who are sensitive to the stares and probably over sensitive in some instances”
    And you’re basing this on what, exactly? I do find Ricky Gervases’ comments offensive, but you know what? I can get over it. What I do struggle with are things like the fact that my little lad (who is not statemented and is in mainstream school)is desperate to be liked and accepted by the other kids, but when he talks to them, more often than not they just stare at him and walk away. It’s even better when the parents do it, that really makes your day. Or, how about last week, when three other kids held him down and took it in turns to kick him in the face (he’s six, by the way). Then again, I’m probably just being over sensitive. You’re an arsehole derek.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Hooray! Another win for the Left!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

barnsleymitch

well said squire. A little more fiery than your earlier replies 🙂

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

fiery – I like it teej! Dont really like wasting my indignation on folk like derekrides, but ffs, sometimes I just despair.

deviant
    Free Member

People need to stop being overly sensitive in general.

Its just words and unless they come from the mouth of somebody important to you then they are largely meaningless….if a stranger in the street calls me an ugly bastard then i’ll tend to think the bloke is a weirdo and forget it as soon as its happened but if a close friend or family member calls me an ugly bastard then the comment hurts.

Comments from comedians are material, just that….nothing more and nothing less….if you dont like Gervias’s material then dont watch it….this isnt rocket science.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Comments from comedians are material, just that….nothing more and nothing less….if you dont like Gervias’s material then dont watch it….this isnt rocket science.

What an arse!

tazzymtb

erm, Mr Mungus, a few weeks ago you were making jokes about stephen hawkings’ disability and speech synthesiser, and now you’re the voice of justice and righteousness 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Deviant – what you miss is that comments like Gervais end in kids like barnsleymitches being mistreated. Thats why it is important not to mock disability in that sort of way. The result is a child that is hurt.

Disability can be funny – and many a good joke can be made from it. However mockery is harmful

deviant
    Free Member

A comedian is an act, they go on stage and project a persona that allows then to use certain material to amuse, shock etc….its highly likely that most bigotted, racist, offensive comedians arent like that once off the stage….but it doesnt stop the pitch fork wielding hordes from complaining en masse when ever an offensive word is used.

For what its worth i use the word ‘Pikey’ all the time….and yet i have a couple of friends from this kind of background….unavoidable when my girlfriend is into horses but i treat them the same as i treat everybody i come across…start off nice and if they act the cock then i’ll treat them like a cock….if they are polite and friendly then i’ve got all the time in the world for just about everybody.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Deviant – did you read barnsley mitches post? Comments like gervais made mocking the disabled lead to a child being hurt. Thats why its wrong to mock the disabled. Humour is good – mockery is not funny and is not good. Mockery is only funny when its the powerful being mocked – not the powerless

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

deviant – I said earlier that I have far bigger issues than Ricky Gervais to concern myself with. However, using terms like mong is hardly spreading understanding and tolerance is it? Youre right, they’re just words, and after all, words never did any harm did they?
    Oh, hang on a minute … 🙄

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

and no doubt had it been one of you two ‘longer termers’ no action would have resulted.

Are you referring to me? 😮

Is he referring to me? He can’t be! Is he??

No….

Is he???? 😯

Somebody ‘ave a word please! 😆

deviant
    Free Member

TJ…i disagree about it being ok to mock the powerful, it smacks of the kind of double standards that some people dedicate their lives to trying to stamp out….if its ok to call somebody an upper class twit, a chinless wonder, a toff etc….then its ok to call somebody working class scum too….the principle is the same.

It goes back to the old phrase about sticks and stones….if people are still being offended by mere words uttered by complete strangers then they lead very sad lives indeed.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

If he was elf, he needs to go back and count the number of times you’ve been cordially invited to leave. 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 214 total)

The topic ‘Political Correctness (Gervais, Twitter, possibly offensive word content)’ is closed to new replies.