Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Polishing/brushing Stainless Steel (non bike)
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

We’ve got stainless steel worktops. They’re 6 years old now and a bit scratched up. It doesn’t look bad but I was thinking of re-finishing them. Has anyone tried anything similar? Any recommendations? I was thinking a fine scouring pad (as you’d treat a brushed Ti Frame). However, could well be something just best left alone.

cozz
    Free Member

autosol, use it my motorbike on stainless, might have to wipe surfaces with some cleanign product after for hygeine I guess

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Fine wire wool or Autosol metal polish.
    It depends on what type of finish it is,If it has the brushed look,it will be difficult to keep this unless you go with the flow/graining of the stainless.

Brasso will bring it up,you might end up with a polished look being the only problem with using a polish rather than wirewool.

GrahamS

Top tip is baby oil or olive oil on stainless steel.

We use it on our hob. Keeps it shiny and hides fingerprints.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

I have yet to deal with my very old (cleaned regularly with abrasive cleaner by the previous occupant) ss top but feel that Solvol is too abrasive. Having been unable to obtain Belgom Alu which is much less abrasive than Solvol I got some Peek http://www.tripeek.com/ which seems to be the nearest equivalent and shone up a test patch very well, shiny being the original finish – brushed wasn’t used in the old days.

However here is what the British Stainless Steel Association has to say http://www.bssa.org.uk/topics.php?article=77

mmb
    Free Member

scotchbrite by 3m for a brushed look we use it at work for that same purpose it’s basically a scourer like the sponge backed ones you can use for washing up.

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

Hey, I’m actually a Stainless fabricator and a lot of our work is kitchens for schools etc.
    If you’ve got a lot of scratches you can try to remove them with a flapwheel mop (the type you mount in a drill), we use 40 grit to 120 grit and can usually get a good match for most of the grain patterns used. These are fine for small areas otherwise we’d use a larger brushing tool.
    If it just needs a going-over, then buy a roll of scotch-brite, (the dark red is probably best), mount it on a length of 4×1-ish wood about 600mm long, you can then use this to match the grain along your tops. The length of the piece of wood keeps the grain going in the same direction. Small discrepencies WILL show up!
    Nay kind of non-toxic oil like baby oil or Olive oil can be used to protect it after, it also acts as a lacquer and dulls the finish slightly.
    I hope this makes some sense anyway!

Liftman

mmb + 1

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Thanks all. The bit of wood and scotch-brite sounds a fine idea. Finished redecorating the kitchen last night and reloaded the worktops so this is back on the back burner for a while but filed for future use.

epicyclo

How many babies do you have to crush to get enough baby oil?

Spongebob
    Free Member

Polishing is a bit extreme so try a good clean first.

Use “Bar Keeper’s Friend” to clean stainless steel without scratching. Comes in a powder form. It was recommended by the manufacturer of our Britannia oven and it’s great stuff.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Polishing/brushing Stainless Steel (non bike)’ is closed to new replies.