Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Polishing aluminium and paint removal tips?
  • hora
    Free Member

Whats best to use to remove paint from aluminium and the whats best to polish with?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Nitromorse will remove paint from aluminium with ease.

As for polishing start with say 1200 grit Wet ‘n dry and then work finer until it’s really smooth, after than use metal polish.

You’ll have to laquer it or keep it mega clean if you want it to stay shiney as it will oxidise over time with exposure to the air.

Alternativley if it’s cost effective have the metal anodised silver.

ReallyOldGit
    Free Member

Paint Remover – Used Homebase own brand works fine, some very fine wirewool and some rubber gloves will help!!!!

Polish – Solvol Autosol Chrome polish (Halfords), Brasso also works a treat!!

Xan
    Free Member

Be very careful with the likes of Nitromorse on ali. If you leave it on too long it WILL eat the metal as will!! but do it right and it will make a great job
    Either that or Speak to a local Powder coater and see if they will do a cheap cash bead blasting job for you. With the size of a frame it shouldnt take long.

robbo1234biking
    RudeBoy
    Free Member

And wear something to protect your eyes. Nitromors etc eat through paint; you don’t want it in yer eyes. Goggles cost a couple of quid. And have a bowl of water on standby, with a sponge or something, if you get any on your skin.

Paintstripper is really nasty stuff. Then, you’ve got the problem of fine metal/paint dust, when sanding. Wear a mask.

robbo1234biking

Actually just looked and postage will be next to nothing. Drop me an email if you want meto send it over

hora
    Free Member

robbo1234biking- normally I’d say I’ll pop down to Halfords but theres no point wasting good stuff either. Will ping you an email now.

greeble
    Free Member

You’ll have to laquer it or keep it mega clean if you want it to stay shiney as it will oxidise over time with exposure to the air.

laquer wont stick to highly polished frames. as the laquer has no “key” to adhere to. so will flake off.

i polished my old 04 sx frame. its 18 months since i did it. and its still as shiney as the dya i polished it. used a 1/2 horse power polishing wheel i have in my workshop. for a super shiney finish.

this guide is also a great help.
    http://www.poleringsguide.se/english/

anymore help feel free to ask

the higher the polish the less maintinence it needs

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Polishing aluminium and paint removal tips?’ is closed to new replies.