Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Polishing?
  • Shorty121
    Free Member

If I used a buffing machine at school could I polish a bike frame thats powdercoated?

starsh78
    Free Member

you’d take the paint off!

Shorty121
    Free Member

Ah not a good idea then.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Suppose I could do like Rowens bike?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Take the paint/powder coat off first, then polish it.

Shorty121
    Free Member

How long do you think it would take? And will it corode?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

It’s a day’s job from full bike back to full bike. Even if you leave the metal unpolished it won’t corrode. A polished frame won’t corrode, although the finish will dull a little over time. This can be rectified with occasional polishing.

Shorty121
    Free Member

So I would use paint stripper?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Yes; something like Nitromors will get great results, quickly, and without any marks to the frame. Most of the paint will bubble up and drop off after a few minutes. Stuff around the welds will need more time and can be encouraged with a toothbrush. Wear washing-up gloves and goggles.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Will it scratch easily though or can I put something on to prevent it?

TheSwede
    Free Member

You will wish you hadn’t started after 10 minutes at the polisher. Hatefully long and arduous task.

7hz
    Free Member

It’s aluminium?

Unless it is anodised, and you leave the anodizing on, it will corrode. Not like steel, but it will get dull very quickly, and if there are areas that can trap salts etc it may corrode more. I’d at least polish then clearcoat if you are going to do that, although whether all that is really worthwhile is questionable.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I’d disagree. My last three frames have been stripped and then polished to different degrees. A mirror finish frame I had showed no deterioration in finish even after several weeks/rides. Sweat and water marks are virtually the same as on a painted finish.

Clearcoat is a mistake, in my experience, as it will chip like paint and marks that can be easily polished out on a bare frame become permanent blemishes from the contrast of coating and metal.

You will wish you hadn’t started after 10 minutes at the polisher. Hatefully long and arduous task.

That I would agree with. Polish using stages of wet & dry and a bucket of soapy water, then finish with a good metal polish applied with 1000-grade wire wool. Polish with a heavy cloth.

Shorty121
    Free Member

I was gonna polish it on a electric buffing machine 🙂

TheSwede
    Free Member

Its still a nasty job on a wheel. It takes a lot of patience. It doesnt happen as quickly as you would imagine. You also need different grades of polish and wheels. You will be as black as the ace of spades and blowing black snot out of your hooter for days. Aluminium is a very good conductor of heat too 😯
    Ball ache even with pro kit! Thats not me in the vid by the way 🙂
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp-aL7ega5o

andyl
    Free Member

is it aluminium?

If so then polish it and then get some alloy wheel sealant for polished wheels.

If steel then you will need to clearcoat or it will rust. Get some polyurethane wheel lacquer on there.

devs
    Free Member

I shall now write a letter to the aerospace industry telling them that all the anti corrosion measures they take, the chemicals they use and the education and courses they run are in fact a waste of time. All they need to do is polish. How foolish of them.

seosamh77
    Free Member

why would ye polish a bike?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I shall now write a letter to the aerospace industry telling them that all the anti corrosion measures they take, the chemicals they use and the education and courses they run are in fact a waste of time. All they need to do is polish. How foolish of them.

Well done Richard.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Polishing?’ is closed to new replies.