Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • polished aluminium frames
  • parisroubaix

forgive my complete ignorance, but I have a polished rear triangle on my aluminium turner 5 spot. Is this polished effect literally caused by polishing raw aluminium, of is it a plated effect? secondly, is it coated with anything to stop it fading/protection?
    Reason i ask is I’m doing a refurb and wanted to know what to do with it. Thanks in advance

wwaswas

polished bare metal with a laquer coating normally for aluminium.

fivespot
    Free Member

5spot rear is polished alli with a clear anodizing coat for long lasting protection.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    parisroubaix

brilliants, thanks guys- if in areas its looking rather tired/discoloured I presume the anodising coat had deteriorated?

nicko74

ye-es, something like that, with presumably a layer of oxidisation underneath. It’s not damaging (like rust), IIRC, it just happens quite quickly.

takisawa2

I doubt anodising would leave a polished finish as it involves etching away a micro layer of material…
    The rear ends on Turners look very simillar to Ventana, & it is literally acheived by polishing the raw allow with increasingly fine grades of polishing mops & abrasive soap. Turner & Ventana sprouted from the same outfit way way back, from what I can remember…
    If you polish it it will retain a shine quite well. The place I bought my polishing kit from recomended a polish called Belgom Alu, & it seems to work. Mine hasnt lost any shine in the month since I did it.
    You could polish it then lacquer it. It will lose a bit of shine, but should stay nice….until the lacquer is all chipped & scratched that is.
    Just give it a polish & leave it…

parisroubaix

thanks, tak, is your frame painting chap in burton on trent, incase you dont see my question in the other post?

takisawa2

yes mate.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I used to ride Manitou frames, they came with a sticker that said the polished finish was protected by anodizing and should only be washed with mild soap and water. Nothing abrasive or chemical. A mirror finish can be achieved under anodizing.

takisawa2

IMG_1394 by pten2106, on Flickr

IMG_1392 by pten2106, on Flickr

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘polished aluminium frames’ is closed to new replies.