Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Polis Helicopter crashed in the Clutha Pub.
  • cbike
    Free Member

Good grief, Passed the incident it was searching for on the way home. 🙁

Houns

Jeez 🙁

athgray
    Free Member

Houns+1

bencooper
    Free Member

Not looking good at all 🙁

richmtb

Thats mental, hope no one is badly injured, seems unlikely though given its a Friday pay day in Glasgow

legend
    Free Member

Sadly I can’t see the crew coming out unscathed 🙁

Fraz
    Free Member

I know. Thoughts and prayers for all crew and persons in the pub.

Looks like Ill be a busy boy in the morning

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Why not, I’m not sure that they’re dead. It could have auto-rotated in, otherwise they’d mostly be pulling bodies out and there’d be nothing left of that pub.

Hope no one died.

legend
    Free Member

Because it’s upside down and through the roof 🙁

I’d guess they were trying to bring it down on Glasgow Green but didn’t make it

P.S. Didn’t mean that they were dead, just not likely to be un-injured

cbike
    Free Member

It was also low with searchlight on over the Gorbals. They wouldn’t have much time to autorotate anywhere.

I heard the bang from Govanhill.

Drac

Thoughts to all involved.

hora
    Free Member

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sounds like engine failure of some sort from eye witness reports.

Awful tragedy, and thoughts to those involved.

globalti
    Free Member

My first thought was that this was another ratings stunt like the train crash in Corrie, the plane crash in Emmerdale and numerous other soap opera gas explosions and crashes but it’s definitely grimly real.

piemonster

Jeez, that’s looking grim.

Same aircraft (not sure on the variant) as the NHS Scottish Air Ambulance Service, wonder if they’ll be temporarily grounded?

piemonster

It’s twin engine, wonder if they had simultaneous engine failure!

convert

Not sure it could have been a simple engine failure as the eurocopter is a twin engine machine. In fact to fly over built up cities such as Glasgow or London you need by law to use a twin engine machine to minimise the risk of accidents like this.

I guess a catastrophic gearbox failure could have done it……..horrible for all though.

edit – beaten to it!

fisha
    Free Member

Sad news however it happened.

rickmeister

Tragic… looks grim on the news this morning….

winston_dog
    Free Member

Awful.

I guess a catastrophic gearbox failure could have done it.

Sounds like it. Apparently it fell straight down. Very much like the N Sea Super Puma a few years ago.

althepal

Jeezo. Lot of friends and colleagues involved with this. Horrible horrible scenario.
    Annoyed that I’m off sick at the mo and not able to help.
    Thoughts are with all those caught up in this.

gordimhor

Just awful news thoughts are with anyone involved. 🙁

cynic-al
    Free Member

3+ deaths.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Watching the reports on the BBC website.

Can’t believe the neds laughing and gesturing behind the interviewee!

Arseholes.

fisha
    Free Member

Your not he only one to think that.

Houns

Hope it wasn’t some Ned with a laser pen. Looks like the pilot was trying for the car park behind the pub. Sadly listing 3 people dead so far, doesn’t look good for the crew 🙁

Houns

Actually 1 confirmed fatality with more expected

scotroutes

Laser pens tend not to affect engines. Eye-witness reports are of intermittent/failing engine note.

binners

Absolutely terrible. One poor guy on the BBC News said his dad was definitely in there when it happened, and they haven’t heard from him since. Awful.

irc

That’s the second time. The police helicopter crashed into a block of flats on the southside of Glasgow around 1990.

seosamh77
    Free Member

tragic and surreal, pass by that pub everyday nearly. Thoughts are with every one concerned. Horrible.

monkeyninja
    Free Member

I live 2 mins from this pub, pass it everyday on the way home, still finding the whole thing pretty surreal, my thoughts go out to all involved. I hear the helicopters most nights but last night I heard what I can only describe as a really low flying aircraft but thought nothing more about it till I got a phone call from my mum asking if we were safe….. The Clutha is a tiny pub but its always rammed shoulder to shoulder, I can’t believe how it fell out the sky on top of it, it is the most concentrated volume of people in such a small area. There are flats and hotels near by but that pub would have been mobbed. There is a massive car park almost across the road , there is the river right next to it, glasgow green 100 yards away and even outside the pub there is a big box junction. It’s insane it hit the pub with all the people and not one of the more open spaces right next to it!

althepal

Sounding like the last thing the pilot did was shut down the engines and isolate the fuel tanks.
    Fair play.

Harry_the_Spider

Perhaps he thought it was a flat open area rather than the roof of a single storey building.

I guess we’ll never know.

Tragic.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I read somewhere that there is speculation that possibily the pilot might have been aiming for the car park behind the clutha.

fisha
    Free Member

Hard to say without more info, but it’s a logical thing to aim for, but that’s on a presumption of having an element of control of direction, which accounts so far doesn’t seem to suggest.

Drac

It’s all speculation until they’ve inspected the flight recorder.

seosamh77
    Free Member

absolutely

winston_dog
    Free Member

It’s all speculation until they’ve inspected the flight recorder, radio transcripts, maintenance records, wreckage, crash site and any other possible source of information

FTFY

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Polis Helicopter crashed in the Clutha Pub.’ is closed to new replies.