• This topic has 94 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by br.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • Policeman suing car owner
  • mildred

Not read all of this, but if there are grounds for the police to claim against anyone, surely it is the person stealing the car. There has been no negligence on the part of the car owner, so I cannot see how they could be held legally responsible when someone has taken the car without the owner’s permission.

They’re not held responsible – part of your insurance premium is specifically for this purpose. You have no choice in this – it is an insurance industry scheme.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Not read all of this….

This bit might help :

He said that police officers, like any individual, could decide to pursue a claim through the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) if they were in a crash where the driver of the other vehicle was at fault and could not be traced or was not insured.

mildred

hard to say which is which in this case but I think your claim would be legitimate but I assume it would be done via your employer [ or victim of crime comensation] rather than through the innocent victim of crime.

Nope, all down to me. My employer couldn’t give a monkeys, as long as I turn up as a bum on a seat, then they’re happy. You’d think that given the expense in training me, providing my uniform etc. that I’d be treated as a valuable resource. I’m not; any efforts to get back to work are entirely down to me, and it’s me that loses out if I don’t get back to work.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

providing my uniform

What, you mean that you don’t have to hand it back if you become unfit for work ? FFS, instead of spunking money why don’t police forces start using taxpayers money responsibly ? 😐

mildred

Exactly! A double whammy for the miscreant, gets his collar felt & then has to cough up for the injuries he’s caused.

We could cut out the middle man and take it direct from his DSS payments..?

What, you mean that you don’t have to hand it back if you become unfit for work ? FFS, instead of spunking money why don’t police forces start using taxpayers money responsibly ?

Hand it back? Jeez…!!!! you want me to lose my job and any chance of a sex life…

igm

Mildred – I have some sympathy with most of your comments but insurance companies make a lot of money and can afford this? Possibly, but they won’t. They’ll just pass it through to you and me in our premiums and continue to make a lot of money. That why they make a lot of money.

I think I’d prefer to pay it in tax.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is it really not an employers liability issue as i assume they expect you to chase criminals – ie they ask you to do this as part of your job and therefor ethey need to cover you and do a risk assesment etc?

mildred

Mildred – I have some sympathy with most of your comments but insurance companies make a lot of money and can afford this? Possibly, but they won’t. They’ll just pass it through to you and me in our premiums and continue to make a lot of money. That why they make a lot of money.
    I think I’d prefer to pay it in tax.

This is where I’ll display my ignorance; if we accept that the money has to come from somewhere (which I realise some don’t accept this, but for the sake of argument…) if our insurance premiums go up then a portion of this finds its way back to the tax man. All that aside, it could also be argued that the insurance industry is better set up to deal with this type of thing (is it not their reason for being?), and the government are basically leaving it to the experts. To set up the infrastructure required within government would be an exercise in burning money.

aracer
    Free Member

<checks out shops hiring policemen’s uniforms>

It seems reasonable to me that the compensation should come from insurance companies rather than directly from tax for another reason – it means the burden only falls on owners of vehicles rather than all of the population. Now you might argue it’s unfair for car owners to have to pay for compensation due to scrotes stealing cars – it’s even more unfair for non-car owners to have to pay (the real injustice as always is that those who own cars but don’t bother getting insurance don’t pay either – but then in general the outlaws always do better).

edlong
    Free Member

I’m assuming from the complete missing of the point over the last page that people haven’t actually read the sorry the OP linked. The compensation want coming from the MIB, from general premiums. The guy who’s car got nicked received a letter that HE was being sued. So, what that means in the end may well be that his insurance pays it, but isn’t the issue

WHAT THE MUGGERING BUCK MAKES HIM LIABLE?

igm

There is of course some evidence that police giving chase leads to more road accidents and that the best thing they can do in these situations is back off so a) the policeman brought it on himself and b) by giving chase his actions led to the thief binning it and writing the car off and therefore said policeman should be considered liable for the car being non-recoverable.

Just another take for what it’s worth – very little in some people’s view I’m sure.

mildred

“I received a letter from a solicitor saying he was suing me for personal injuries on behalf of his client… and I later found out this client was a police officer who had been hurt when retrieving my car,” he said.

This is just standard practice but worded to whip up emotions – if you’re involved in a bump you’re supposed to exchange details at the scene then declare the incident to your insurer. Your insurer would then take up the work on your behalf – this is why there’s an extra sum on your insurance for legal expense cover. If you don’t have this cover, or the third party has no access to your insurers details, then the letter comes to you. You then pass it on to your insurer, whose legal department or solicitors take it up. It’s standard practice.

Now, we don’t know very much about the incidents cited but civil law allows up to 6 years to make a claim. It’s fairly crap journalism though to make statements like this:

The owners of stolen cars are being sued by some police officers in Northern Ireland who were injured when chasing car thieves.

Which on 1st glance makes the practice appear common place. It could be just 1 or 2 Police Officers. We just don’t know; it’s the way the whole piece has been written that has created outrage/emotion/anger. It could well be a couple of incidents that have been written up in this way to have yet another dig. Who knows?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

it’s the way the whole piece has been written that has created outrage/emotion/anger.

To be fair it does sound like an otherwise rather boring and uninteresting story, by using terms such as “being sued by some police officers” it has generated sufficient outrage and interest to warrant a 2 page thread on a mtb forum.

So well done that journalist – clearly the work of a true professional…….every professional journalist knows that in the absence of actual news, creating news, is vital. Blank pages are NOT an option.

aracer
    Free Member

it has generated sufficient outrage and interest to warrant a 2 page thread on a mtb forum.

You’re not setting the bar very high there.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I can’t imagine setting it any higher.

STW no less.

edlong
    Free Member

Mildred, I get that the insurer, not the individual will be settling the liability, but what no one seems to be able to explain is how the heck the liability arises.

Put it another way, what would the position be if it was a stolen, uninsured bike?

aracer
    Free Member

…or how about if the knife the scrote stabs the policeman with is one he stole from your kitchen drawer?

crankboy
    Free Member

Edlong not missing the point just assuming that the details in the report are wrong . I’ll bet you that the letter said “we act for pc plod who was injured on a rta involving your vehicle . Our client seeks compensation for his injuries please pass this letter to your insurers who will deal with the matter”. In 24 years I have yet to see a press report completely accurately reflect any case I have dealt with they either get the facts wrong the law wrong or both wrong.

edlong
    Free Member

*sigh*

I GET THAT THE INSURERS PAY!!!

I don’t understand why the liability exists.

Am I losing it, or is that a different point?

Greybeard
    Free Member

I think I understand…

The insurers pay, from a fund set up for the purpose from everybody’s premiums. But there’s no direct legal route to this, it has to go via the owner of the car, even though it’s not his fault (his insurers have accepted liability on his behalf – liability isn’t the same as fault). So he gets sued, passes it on to his insurer, if it gets paid it’s out of the MIB fund. The bit that seems unfair is that it should reflect on his future premiums (unless he was actually negligent, like leaving the car with the keys in, so it was easy to steal).

mildred, I don’t think anyone in this thread has objected to the officer getting compensation from the insurers, just that it shouldn’t affect an innocent owner. Many thought it should come from the employers, which you (and I) agree with.

zokes
    Free Member

If I can’t claim compensation for being badly injured, then why should I continue to do my job?

You shouldn’t. If you’re injured at work, presumably you, as anyone else, has a right to sue your employer for suitable recompense. If not, then find another means of employ. If all officers do the same, presumably conditions will change? Or is that all rather to Skargill?

I do quite a bit of work in the field. If I were to injure myself, it would be my organisation that paid, not the owner of the field I’m in. The reason I’m in that field doing work is because my employer has sent me there, ergo they are liable. I’m failing to see why this is any different. Your employer sends you out to catch crims (and presumably this didn’t come as a surprise to you when you signed up?). Assuming you wouldn’t normally be catching crims for the hell of it, I think it’s safe to say that you were put in danger through the line of duty of doing your job. Your employers pay to to do that job – your employers should ensure that you’re safe, or recompense you if you’re not. If that pushes up costs, then throw it at the perp, not the victim (or indirectly everyone else through increased insurance premiums).

mildred

You shouldn’t. If you’re injured at work, presumably you, as anyone else, has a right to sue your employer for suitable recompense. If not, then find another means of employ. If all officers do the same, presumably conditions will change? Or is that all rather to Skargill?

Yup, I sure do but it all depends on the circumstances, and the circumstances are the crucial bit of information we’re missing in this story.

Not likely to be too Scargill, being a born & bred Barnsley lad. No conditions will not change – we have no union to help us, we don’t have the same employment rights as everyone else; the government have made it very easy to get rid of me, and couldnt care if i did go, so the only loser is me and my family.

The crux of what I’m saying is that although this chap may well be a victim of crime it doesn’t preclude him from being held to account in the same way anyone else is. We buy insurance for this reason.

Take an injury on duty as an example. If I was off work for some time I would continue to get paid for a length of time. However, if someone was ‘to blame’, then my organisation would seek to claim their loss (the wage they’ve paid me) from whoever that is. I don’t necessarily agree with any if this but I do feel that story has been written to stir up particular feelings.

zokes
    Free Member

The crux of what I’m saying is that although this chap may well be a victim of crime it doesn’t preclude him from being held to account in the same way anyone else is. We buy insurance for this reason.

We buy insurance because:
    1) It’s a legal necessity
    2) To pay for damage to a third party or their property should we crash into them
    3) To pay for damage to our car should we crash it, have it stolen, or it bursts into flames

We don’t buy insurance to pay for injuries to someone who was only injured because their employers told them to attempt to apprehend the person who stole the car. Much the same way we don’t pay household insurance on the off chance a criminal chooses to attack an officer attending a crime scene with a knife stolen from the house in question.

Why (other than having the temerity to have his possessions stolen by a third party) should he be held to account if the third party crashes them into a policeman? He didn’t cause the crash, so how is he to blame?

I do feel that story has been written to stir up particular feelings.

If, instead of insuring their staff properly, the police force is pursuing victims’ insurers to cover their costs, then the feeling the article ‘stirs up’ is quite acceptable. There is no way a person whose car is stolen is ‘to blame’ for the thief crashing into a policeman, no matter how you dress it up. The only people to blame for that unfortunate sequence of events are the criminal themselves, and the policeman’s employer’s for putting him in harm’s way. As it might be expected that a policeman might end up in harm’s way as part of his duties, it seems reasonable that his employers (the police force) should be suitably insured by one means or another to cover any costs that may occur as a result of any harm. That may in turn also mean pursing the criminal for damages.

If I’m in a car crash whilst ‘on business’, then my employer pays (or pursues the third party if it’s them at fault). There is no way in which it would come back to me personally unless I deliberately rammed somebody, and this was proven. Whilst at work, any accidents are work’s liability, not mine. The premise being (as I said above) that if I wasn’t at work, the accident wouldn’t have happened in the first place. It’s tough that this appears not to be the case for you with your employers, but frankly that’s not my, nor my insurer’s problem.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If, instead of insuring their staff properly, the police force is pursuing victims’ insurers to cover their costs, then the feeling the article ‘stirs up’ is quite acceptable.

I’m not sure why this story is causing so much confusion. No police force is pursuing victims’ insurers to cover their costs. The story refers to individuals injured by non-insured drivers. The individuals in this case happen to be police officers, but their claim is not being pursued by their police force.

We buy insurance for this reason.

Yup, a reasonable comment imo. We have motor vehicle insurance to deal with the consequences of owning a motor vehicle, which includes consequences associated with theft. If your car is stolen from the front of your house and turns up the next day smashed up 200 miles away illegally parked, then it is your responsibility to deal with the situation, despite the fact that you are not responsible for causing it.

crankboy
    Free Member

We have to schemes to compensate people who have lost out to criminals the criminal injuries compensation scheme for the victims of violence. That is funded by the taxpayer . And the Motor Insurer’s Beauro . That is funded and administered by the motor insurers effectively as a tax / cost of being allowed to trade.

Rich_s

Edlong – the Road Traffic Act is the basis of where this comes from.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

We have to schemes to compensate people who have lost out to criminals the criminal injuries compensation scheme for the victims of violence.

To be fair I believe that police officers are the main recipients of that scheme 🙂

mildred

Without any request from me, I once got paid compensation for being kicked in the nuts by a prostitute. Apparently, according to the magistrate, my family jewels are worth £25. I only ever received £15 because that’s all she could afford. She was quite low rent.

mildred

Why (other than having the temerity to have his possessions stolen by a third party) should he be held to account if the third party crashes them into a policeman? He didn’t cause the crash, so how is he to blame?

I’ve been giving examples of an alternative view that hadn’t been considered prior to my first post, not claiming this to be the case on this specific occasion. That said, neither you not I know the circumstances of that reported. You cannot assume he was not accountable in any way from what is written in that piece. You don’t know whether he did cause the crash. He probably didn’t, but you don’t know this.

trevron73
    Free Member

A lot of folk over in Northern Ireland think they are American, so look to America as role models . A brief history lesson is needed.
    1, You are English
    2, England Invented America
    3,America is only a few years old
    to conter this an Irish Buisness woman said” America was built by the Irish ,true i said you built it for us”(The english)
    The policeman is just being wise (an old Irish saying meaning cheeky /smart)they all do this push the boundries of lazyness/feckness
    DISCLAIMER: SOME OR ALL OF THIS MAY NOT OR MAYBE TRUE
    i used to Live in LONDONderry so i have some expierence of the natives

zokes
    Free Member

You don’t know whether he did cause the crash. He probably didn’t, but you don’t know this.

Unless he somehow stole his own car, I’m struggling to come up with any plausible scenarios as to how he could be at fault.

We have motor vehicle insurance to deal with the consequences of owning a motor vehicle, which includes consequences associated with theft.

I have household insurance to deal with the consequences of owning a knife. I very much doubt, however, that it would be called upon to compensate a policeman for a wound sustained from said knife when wielded by a would-be thief.

br
    Free Member

I’m with others on here and am finding it difficult to see.

Not likely to be too Scargill, being a born & bred Barnsley lad. No conditions will not change – we have no union to help us, we don’t have the same employment rights as everyone else; the government have made it very easy to get rid of me, and couldnt care if i did go, so the only loser is me and my family.

No, but you have (and continue to) be well looked after by this and all Govt’s since Thatcher – from pay and conditions through to pensions – its a different world to the rest of us. Or maybe you’ve no idea of the working conditions of the rest of us?

Sui
    Free Member

my 2pence – Why should anyone in an official capacity working on behlf of the state have the right to sue privately for actions caused during their working day/carrying out their job? It doesn’t happen in the armed forces, so why with plod forces? You decide to take up a potentially dangerous occupation and you therefore accept the risks that go with it. The MIB should in no way be approached by the profiessianl services for this kind of incident, public yes. Any claim should be born under Plods liability cover / self cover.

D0NK

The compensation want coming from the MIB, from general premiums

this is what I thought happened, victims of uninsured drivers can claim from the pot that all insurers pay into (well according to a school “life lesson” umpteen years ago) If (as a pedestrian) I get run over by an uninsured driver I presume I claim directly from the MIB or whoever as I don’t have an insurer and neither does the driver. So why the frick are the police in the OP claiming via the car owner and affecting his insurance? (or was that bit BS?)

If your car is stolen from the front of your house and turns up the next day smashed up 200 miles away illegally parked, then it is your responsibility to deal with the situation, despite the fact that you are not responsible for causing it.

I can kinda see the point of this, if you decide to own a big hunk of metal (I do BTW) then you have some responsibilities beyond just how you drive it, not sure this should count in the OP case tho.

Any claim should be born under Plods liability cover / self cover

which would appear to be none existent

poly
    Free Member

A lot of folk over in Northern Ireland think they are American, so look to America as role models . A brief history lesson is needed.
    1, You are English
    2, England Invented America
    3,America is only a few years old
    DISCLAIMER: SOME OR ALL OF THIS MAY NOT OR MAYBE TRUE
    i used to Live in LONDONderry so i have some expierence of the natives

OMG, Wars have started over less – presumably you had an armed escort to get you our of Derry and back to your homeland when you left.

zokes
    Free Member

which would appear to be none existent

And that’s everyone else’s fault?

Sui
    Free Member

I’m sure it’s not “non-existent”, but Plod management are likely being bell ends in allowing their own troops to access it. Like the army (sorry), i’m sure Plod do self insure due to the nature of the business, personal accidents (but also on the job) are/woould be covered under private insurance through companies like PAX. Plod management have a duty of care especially when injuries are recieved on the job, it’s not the vicitims, and when i say victims all of us that provide insurance, fault.

edit to add, private insurance is an added extra to make up for percieved shortfalls.

D0NK

And that’s everyone else’s fault?

no I’m just suggesting a little sympathy and maybe claiming from the uninsured drivers fund might be reasonable (but I have already said claiming from the victim seems bang out of order)

*wishy washily phrased coz I don’t know all the facts and probably haven’t thought this all thru (as per)

konabunny
    Free Member

Exactly! A double whammy for the miscreant, gets his collar felt & then has to cough up for the injuries he’s caused.

That’s entirely hypothetical though – how many Twoccers have eighty grand in cash lying around?

aracer
    Free Member

i’m sure Plod do self insure

eggsactly. I’m fairly sure the police aren’t exempt from the normal laws regarding their employees – if it’s an injury sustained in the course of your work the you are entitled to claim compensation from your employer. The fact normal companies will have insurance to cover this doesn’t change where the liability falls (it’s a common misconception of insurance – it insures the employer against claims made against it rather than the employees).

We have motor vehicle insurance to deal with the consequences of owning a motor vehicle, which includes consequences associated with theft.

Actually no. That’s another misconception. The insurance will cover you for an incident where you would normally have liability, which does include stuff like the handbrake failing and it rolling down a hill when parked and unattended – that is after all your responsibility. When I had my car stolen it was driven into some other parked cars and damaged them – there was no claim made against my insurance for that damage.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Policeman suing car owner’ is closed to new replies.