Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Police report, 20 years ago -still available?
  • codybrennan
    Free Member

So….

It’ll soon be 20 years since the day my brother took his motorbike to work, and never returned….at least, not alive 🙁

I’m in Scotland, and this all happened in Lanarkshire, 1993. We had an enquiry led by the Procurator Fiscal etc, which I attended….but I can’t say that I really took much of it in.

Is it still possible to get copies of all the reports that the police made at the time? I’d just love to know what really happened, distressing as it of course will be.

jamj1974

I don’t know but as you say it’s likely to be painful for you. Are you really sure you want to revisit this event…? Saying that if it was my brother, I would do the same.

Take it easy,

J

project
    Free Member

Try a Foi request as well as a data protection act request, but theyll probaly reject it as being to costly.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    codybrennan
    Free Member

Hi Jjamj1974- thanks for the thoughts. Yep, totally settled in my mind that I really want to know (as best as the investigating officers could tell, I guess) what happened.

Bregante

Not sure of the retention periods under Scottish law but in England it would very much depend on the circumstances. i.e was there a criminal investigation or was it a hit and run etc? If not then I think it’s more than likely that the records have long since been disposed of.

Your first port of call should be the local coroners officer as they will at least have some official record of the inquest.

Good luck

codybrennan
    Free Member

There was a criminal investigation Bregante, in that the car-driver was charged. Cool, will check the coroner’s office.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Hi,

Contact would either be with

Police Scotland

or

Procurator Fiscals Office

as there is no such thing as the coroner in Scotland. Investigations into deaths are carried out by the police who in turn report the matter to the Procurator Fiscal. Depending on the seriousness of the offence it can then be prosecuted by the Procurator Fiscal or the Crown Office.

They all have websites for information requests.

Regards

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thanks SaG.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Police report, 20 years ago -still available?’ is closed to new replies.