Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • police and the law
  • mrmo
    Free Member
    scotroutes

They don’t really enforce any speed limit so why the surprise?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Not really, kinda impossible to enforce all laws across the board… and the whole system very much works on the illusion of law and people actually following them in good faith.. Which most do, but people pick and choice their own laws aswell.

Apparently it’s illegal to smoke weed aswell…good luck enforcing that.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Association of Chief Police Officers tell incredulous MPs at Get Britain Cycling inquiry that cops don’t enforce 20mph limits

Mark Milsom, the assistant chief constable of West Yorkshire Police today told the parliamentary inquiry on cycling that police officers do not enforce 20mph speed limits.

“We advise, we don’t enforce [on 20 mph],” said Milsom, at the inquiry representing Association of Chief Police Officers.

An incredulous Julian Huppert, MP for Cambridge asked: “What other laws do the police not enforce?”

The other MPs on the inquiry were also taken aback by Milsom’s candour.

Is that the whole article?

mildred

That is factually incorrect.

scotroutes

He didn’t actually say that?

MSP

20mph limits are in residential areas, I have never seen traffic enforcement in residential areas, much easier to raise revenues on motorways than police where it is actually needed.

Scapegoat

Wow,, I love the style of journalism. It’s not often we get to see such wide perspective and an in depth background so that we can see the whole context..

Tomorrow’s headline “We only quote the bits that we think will get folk frothing at the mouth” admits single interest periodical editor.

mildred

It is incorrect that the Police do not enforce such laws.

I have enforced 20mph speed limits. Why would it be different to any other? These limits are normally by local order/bye law in residential areas but usually outside schools, parks, places where families and children congregate. Victoria Embankment in Nottingham springs to mind.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Local parish council decided to change all the speed limits in the parish to <40mph. The police advised against it on the basis they wouldn’t enforce it unless there was some evidence that breaking it was dangerous. And by extension of those limits not being enforced people were less likely to stick to other speed limits in the area (if you’re ignoring a 40 you’re unlikely to slow down when it drops to 30).

20mph limits are in residential areas, I have never seen traffic enforcement in residential areas, much easier to raise revenues on motorways than police where it is actually needed.

I suppose in 90% of 20mph areas there’s little chance of getting over 20 to make it worthwhile. Don’t forget there have to be a number of KSI incidents in the area before they put a camera in (although they can be withing a couple of km of the accident itself).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘police and the law’ is closed to new replies.