Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Pole : fat bikes
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Now market saturation had been reached, for those of you who have a fat bike, do you spend a decent amount of time riding it:

Never, to the shops/pub, on trails, on sand, on snow?

oldtennisshoes

Now market saturation had been reached

According to who?

whitestone
    Free Member

What have Eastern Europeans got to do with it?

Usage does depend on conditions, the last three rides on my fat bike have been sand, snow, snow. There wasn’t much snow TBH but the ground was white. It’s definitely a bike for the winter months for me so it gets used but not a lot.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotroutes

6 years I’ve had mine. I went from riding it everywhere to being much more selective. Other than the occasional beach foray it has now become my Winter bike. Still fun. Still enjoy it. Still gets dragged out for a wee inappropriate ride sometimes.

If I get around to it, I’ll post the Gartner curve again 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I don’t see any here, https://polebicycles.com

scotroutes

I think this works on two levels;
    (a) for the market as a whole
    (b) for individuals

otsdr
    Free Member

Am I the only one who expected a machined aluminium fatbike?

oldtennisshoes

wwaswas

Full Sus Salsa Bucksaw – most of the drier months.

SS Rigid On-one Trail Fatty – most of the wetter months.

standard 29er, longer xc rides, racing (I do one a year!), if I fancy a change.

Cross Bike – if it’s *really* wet

SS 26er barely ever.

chiefgrooveguru

So disappointed by this thread title. Where is the fat bike with a sixty degree head angle and five foot wheelbase?!!

flashinthepan
    Free Member

My split is about
    50% FS trail bike
    25% fat bike
    25% gravel bike

That’s measured in number of trips. Measured by distance, gravel bike would be quite a bit higher

My fat bike usage has pretty much fitted the graph above

frogstomp

You’re not looking closely enough then.. 😉

NormalMan

Still spend a fair amount on mine tbh. The fact it is often highly inappropriate seems to add to the fun.

Having 2 29er HTs is more of an overlap if anything. So they have to share riding time.

In terms of fat biking, it does seem the bubble has burst slightly in terms of how much I see people talking about them / ranges being trimmed or cut by some manufacturers.

Although still there are new riders taking it up. For eg. my nephew is visiting from Australia and tried mine out the other day. He is now looking to buy one when he gets back.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well that rather ruins my joke!

(I didn’t even look, to be honest.)

smiththemainman
    Free Member

2016 90% road 10% Full Suss
    2016 Christmas present to self Trek Farley Fatty
    2017 Jan – June 50% Fatty 45% road (training for 300mile over 3 days in June otherwise would have ditched it) 5% Full Suss
    2017 June to present 100% Fatty.

Trail centres , Lake district high passes , beaches(loads within 2 miles so perfect) , from the front door mixes, love it , do not nail tough down hills like I would on the full suss but getting too old for that , get more pleasure out of climbing the unclimbable.

scud
    Free Member

Living in the mountain biking mecca of Norfolk, traditional riding isn’t to good and i do tend to ride my Stooge for normal trails.

But we do have some beautiful beaches and i love exploring coast on mine, it is also main bike for bikepacking as it is very stable with load on.

Mine is versatile (Beargrease) in that i have 26×42 wheels for it and 29×3″ too. like 29+ a lot too

MrSparkle

26 x 42? Christ, that IS wide!

grenosteve
    Free Member

I’d say 80% of my mtb rides have been on the fat bike.

Usual riding is natural trails and fire paths.

simondbarnes

There can’t be many of them out there, I’ve not seen one on the trail for years.

monkeyboyjc

100% on mine, sold my full sus trail bike years ago….

kayak23

Use mine for all my local xc in the Warwickshire mountains.
    Its perfect for it. Also ride it to work, but work is near.
    Use it all the time in other words.

dufusdip
    Free Member

I’ve got a full suss but the fat bike has become the only bike i use. Gets used for trail centres, proper mountains, occasional 65 mile round trip commute, bikepacking and everything in between. It copes well and compensates for my skill level!

5thElefant
    Free Member

Unless I get dragged out on a road ride I’m 100% fat.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Outdoors, my Wazoo is always my commuter, including extended commutes on the way home doing some hill reps. Always used to pop to shops on bike too. Since November, it has pretty much been my only bike on the road, the road bike is now hooked up on the turbo for indoor training until around March.

Northwind

Sold my beloved Ragley Ti and my XC bike, kept my supermarket fatbike, it’s awesome. I ride it pretty much 50/50 with my “main” bike. I say it all the time, but I just love the difference, riding a trail you know on a fatbike can feel totally different.

teamslug
    Free Member

I ride mine ( well my missus’) occasionally so my mates can keep up. They don’t seem to be insulted enough to get any fitter either!.

Northwind

teamslug – Member

I ride mine ( well my missus’) occasionally so my mates can keep up.

They’re amazing for mixed abilities rides. Because slowing you down is perfect if other people are slow, and if it’s you that slow, it’s not because you’re crap, it’s because of the bike. And if all you can do is keep up, you’re a hero. Win!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Pole do have a fat bike

Taiga

but they know, as we all do, that there are better things to do on snow

rocketman
    Free Member

Mine’s so fast I only ride it when conditions are perfect so I can smash many PRs

Rest of the time I mince around on a HT/FS

wwaswas

That Pole is looong and slaaack.

wwaswas

1000 Euros for the frameset is a bit ouch

hodgynd
    Free Member

I was hoping to read of an adventure to either the North or the South ( Pole ) on a fat bike ..talk about misleading titles to suck the reader in ..pah!

luff
    Free Member

Have owned mine for 8 months now, best bike i’ve owned and the only bike i own. I do trails every weekend in the Surrey Hills and go to the pub on it when it’s dry. The funniest thing was doing the BHF London to Brighton on it, literally floated past about 3-400 people from tart to finish, some of them on very light XC bikes who would ride with me for a mile before i left them.

The mistake people make is they ride a fat bike with awful tyres with tubes in them. Tubeless Jumbo Jims on a dry trail is something you’ve got to feel for yourself!

rOcKeTdOg

I havent got snother bike for trails atm so having to stick with it. If i can find the right normal wheeled bike I’ll be riding that more

peajay

Had my fatbike for 2 years now and my other bikes haven’t turned a wheel since, used for off road and commuting.

russyh
    Free Member

Pole do have a fat bike

Taiga

but they know, as we all do, that there are better things to do on snow

That pole is epic!!

Mugboo

I ride my heavily upgraded Dune for at least 50% of the year. It’s perfect for thrashing, pottering or in this weekends case, scaring folks at the icy Kielder Duathlon. It was a pleasure busting a few fat bike myths…

It has replaced my winter hardtail easily and it’s so good that I now have no interest in new hardtail developments at all, sod wheel size and plus tyres.

takisawa2

Apart from 3 rides on the Five, my Puffin has been my only ride for a year. It’s as happy pottering around town as it is on Cannock’s Monkey Trail. Everyone who has tried it has loved it.

mushrooms
    Free Member

So disappointed by this thread title. Where is the fat bike with a sixty degree head angle and five foot wheelbase?!!

lol 😀

downhillfast
    Free Member

The guys I know that have Fat bikes ride them a lot, for some it’s their only or “do it all” bike.
    I’m yet to be convinced though, maybe I’ll be one of those Fat bike newbies in 2018? 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Pole : fat bikes’ is closed to new replies.