Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Polaris Challenge 2012
  • Frodo

Its only a week to go is anyone else going?

Also I have questions!

Having done the summer event before I’ve never had to carry camping gear on the bike. How do you organise your gear. I’ve got an Alpkit dry bags to attach to the saddle or handlebars and a 25ltr rucksack.

I’m assuming the overnight camp is a field with a thunderbox and tap only!

Did you take a lock for the bikes on the overnight camp or just assume it would be ok?

Should be ace!

thejesmonddingo

A seatpost mounted rack helps.You won’t be far from your bike at the overnight,I usually don’t worry.
    Ian

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’m assuming the overnight camp is a field with a thunderbox and tap only!

If your’e very very lucky. Every ‘winter Polaris’ I ever did (they were always in October) we got our water out of a river or beck!
    & a couple of Portaloos for 500 people.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’m supposed to be but not sure if I can now.

clubber
    Free Member

I haven’t done one for about 12 years but did lots before that.

some tips :

pack light, I mean REALLY light.

I used a 25l pack. better kit than I had allows less bulk.

use foil trays (the kind takeaways use) to cook with as they weigh nothing, fold small and can be thrown away.

take food that needs water adding (so it’s light) like porridge, super noodles and so on.

I always preferred using a rucksack as you can then ride the bike properly.

eat and drink all the time!

don’t miss the cutoff time by anything more than a couple of minutes as you lose loads of points.

we never took locks. I don’t think I ever saw anyone else with one.

Frodo

The Event uses the same venue for the overnight camp as the event venue – i.e. Base Camp, but the use of this is not compulsory if you wish to leave and return again Sunday.

Extract from the rules ….errr?

So we have to carry our camping kit and return to the main venue. Sounds a bit contrived?

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Turns out I can make it after all but due to work I’m not camping and will instead be driving home for a good nights sleep on the Saturday night…

rustytank
    Free Member

I agree the website seems confusing but the overnight format has always been that you only know the location of the overnight camp (doing full monty 7+5 polaris) at the first ‘give-out’ once you start. It’s usually a field in the middle of nowhere, some general access so that they can get a water bowser and portaloo in but pretty remote. Nobodys going to steal your bike, they’re more likey to steal food and dry socks. Only A few days to Go…looking forward to it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Polaris Challenge 2012’ is closed to new replies.