Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Pointless, but amusing Google maps madness….
  • DrP

Search directions from Brighton to Bournemouth, then select ‘walking’…..

DrP

molgrips
    Free Member

Well, it is actually quicker going that way.

EDIT: try Land’s End to John o Groats walking. Creative solution.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

🙂

My corporate travel system recently gave me a similar option for a flight from Singapore to Hong Kong.

Via Heathrow! 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There was something a while back about walking to Mordor, Holland. At the beginning, it said something like, “Be careful, one does not simply walk to Mordor”…but I can’t repeat it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Our corporate system is a bit silly. It forces you to stay in the hotels it likes by making them ‘in policy’ and the others exceptions. That’s fair enough, the company has deals with the hotels, but it’s a bit annoying when it makes you stay in Holiday Inn Expresses.

However if you select a particular chain or location before hand, it only searches for what you’ve selected and then it magically becomes ‘in policy’ and does not need approval.

Major flaw in the process!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Have a look at Russell Square, London – satellite view.

There’s an airliner parked on the north corner!

miketually
    Free Member

try Land’s End to John o Groats walking. Creative solution.

That’s genius. I like the Ireland-Scotland-Ireland-Scotland ferry part 🙂

sootyandjim
    Free Member

There was something a while back about walking to Mordor, Holland. At the beginning, it said something like, “Be careful, one does not simply walk to Mordor”…but I can’t repeat it.

In Google Maps.

1) Select ‘walking’.
    2) Field A – ‘The Shire’.
    3) Field B – ‘Mordor’.
    4) Get directions.

Cougar

The one I always liked, if you go to Legoland in California and use street view, the little orange Google stick man changes into a Lego minifig.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah, that’s it sootyandjim 🙂

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Soma Rich – Thats the one.

It also works with ‘Rivendell’ as the start point.

portlyone

PSA Google Maps has a short URL option: http://goo.gl/maps/rIIA

professor_fate
    Free Member

In Google Maps.

1) Select ‘walking’.
    2) Field A – ‘The Shire’.
    3) Field B – ‘Mordor’.
    4) Get directions.

Aha! So that’s where The Intrepid Fox went to, if it’s the Rock pub that used to be in Soho yonks ago 😀

IanMunro
    Free Member

That land’s end john o groats is ace!
    Might make quite an interesting challenge to see if it can really be done in the time claimed.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ferry fares would be mental though.

Although.. does it actually know the schedules? Or is it just taking the crossing time into consideration?

professor_fate
    Free Member

Have a look at Russell Square, London – satellite view.

There’s an airliner parked on the north corner!
    Bet it was a woman pilot that put it there… :mrgreen:

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

So that’s where The Intrepid Fox went to, if it’s the Rock pub that used to be in Soho yonks ago

Haven’t done the google Mordor thing, but the ‘new’ Intrepid fox is just round the corner from Tottenham Court Road and pretty much at the end of Denmark Street. Very dangerous – few pints, ooohh, I have my credit card. I’ll just wander over and have a look at the guitars and related lovliness in Tin Pan Alley. Oh dear, I seem to have bashed the plastic!

swamp_boy

A while ago I found another airliner parked near a roundabout on the A4094 about 1km east of Bourne End, Bucks. It used to have a tag identifying it, Air Canada flight xxx, but that seems to have gone now.

BigJohn

Today on the Radio they’ve been reporting a closure on the road from Dalwhinnie to Calvine, a normal distance of 19 miles.

The recommended diversion adds an astonishing 183 miles to that trip. You’d want to check you’d remembered your front door key.

spooky_b329

If you put London to New York (or similar) walking, it used to tell you to swim across the Atlantic 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

A while ago I found another airliner parked near a roundabout on the A4094 about 1km east of Bourne End, Bucks. It used to have a tag identifying it, Air Canada flight xxx, but that seems to have gone now.

Swampboy its still there

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Pointless, but amusing Google maps madness….’ is closed to new replies.