Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Pointless bike photo thread #2 – show us your sub 30lb 6″ FS’ers
  • I’ll start – 28lbs

Vortexracing

6″ rear but 5.5″ front

30lbs on the nose.

djglover
    Free Member

your scales need to be checked.

4ndyB
    Free Member

OK I’m 10mm short on the 6″ travel, but what the hell, who’s gonna start a 140mm travel thread… 😆

28lbs

xc4pot
    Free Member

me too on the 140mm 27lbs, and i thought we all had to use kg cause of the eu??

chakaping
    Free Member

Never weighed it, but very confident that it’s under 30lb…

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

As usual, lots of pointless optimism and inaccurate scales going on here. The only way to acrape under 30lbs for a 5.5″ (140mm) or 6″ travel is to spend £4000+ on something with a carbon frame, full XTR, Chris King etc, and superlight inappropriate tyres.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I duno, my hardtail’s under 30lb (expensive scales say 29.45 with pedals and mud)

And thats not built with anything lightweight (6lb frame, XC’s/321’s, magura menja’s, then the rest is mainly cheep/indestructable stuff)

So getting £2k+ of full susser with similar intentions under 30lb should be a walk in the park!

And next years giant reign-X is sub 30lb (if you have the cash for the XTR build)

chakaping
    Free Member

The only way to acrape under 30lbs for a 5.5″ (140mm) or 6″ travel is to spend £4000+ on something with a carbon frame,

Giant’s “light metal” alu frames are lighter than their carbon ones, I believe.

grumm
    Free Member

Dunno why you would get a 6″ travel bike then spoil it by putting on silly light tyres etc to keep it under 30lbs. If you are a weight weenie why did you buy a 6″ travel all-mountain bike?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

If you are a weight weenie why did you buy a 6″ travel all-mountain bike?

Exactly

GaryLake
    Free Member

As usual, lots of pointless optimism and inaccurate scales going on here. The only way to acrape under 30lbs for a 5.5″ (140mm) or 6″ travel is to spend £4000+ on something with a carbon frame, full XTR, Chris King etc, and superlight inappropriate tyres.

Um, no. Five Pros are 28.5lb off the peg WITH pedals. Mine’s 29.5lb on a digital fishing scales but it built up a fair bit from normal Pro spec. YES that’s a 2.35 tyre on the front too and a 15QR vanilla!

(Yes the steerer has been cut now)

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Um, no. Five Pros are 28.5lb off the peg

What, all sizes?

GaryLake
    Free Member

Well no but 18″ – so hardly a small – but that’s with 2.4 Mountain Kings which I don’t feel are up to the job, hence the change on mine.

I’m quite amused at the calls for bullshit on sub 30lb 140mm bikes – we had a thread the other day full of supposed 25lb ones!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

If you are a weight weenie why did you buy a 6″ travel all-mountain bike?

Surely every genre of bike deserves to be as light as possible – budget allowing. IMHO weight always matters. All mountain bikes do go up as well as down you know

Kramer
    Free Member

I do wonder what the point of having an XTR mech on a 6″ trail bike is. I’ve got one fitted as OEM on my bike, it’s already been twatted with a rock and I’ve only owned the bike for a couple of weeks.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I do wonder what the point of having an XTR mech on a 6″ trail bike is

However I do agree that this is a very valid question 😕 Unless you’re made of money I wonder at the sense of fitting an XTR/X0 rear mech to any bike

Kramer
    Free Member

stilltortoise, absolutely, unless you’re racing, it’s just an expensive way of showing that you’ve got money to burn. Fortunately my mech is still intact, and it’s only the hanger that was screwed.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’m a convert to SLX for the rear mech. I got one cheapish (£35 I think) so not a total disaster if it gets pranged, which I tend to do a lot with rear mechs. CLumsy, me

KINGTUT
    Free Member

stilltortoise, absolutely, unless you’re racing, it’s just an expensive way of showing that you’ve got money to burn.

Not necessarily, some of us were lucky to bag our XTR and Dura Ace kit in the the days of cheap OEM in 2007.

8)

Randall
    Free Member

140mm – 25.3lb

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Frame size can make up to a pound difference between the smallest and largest sizes.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Frame size can make up to a pound difference between the smallest and largest sizes

as can dodgy fishning weighing scales from Aldi 😀
    My Whyte 46 is 28.5lb according to them, but do I believe it?? Nope

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Test them with a known volume of water. You’ll have to make an allowance for the container, but you’ll know how far out they are. I have a set of cheapo digital luggage scales. I calibrate them with one litre of water, 5 litres of water and 25litres of water. They only have a resolution of 20g, but they’re perfectly on the money.

They make my 19″ 5spot 29.4lbs and I do believe it. 8)

tree-magnet
    Free Member

But with non-superlight inappropriate tyres. Not sure on weight, but it’s got to be under 30lbs.

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

No photo but I’ve also got a Five that comes in at under 30lbs. It’s a custom Alp proof build with only reliable kit on it (XT, Tech M4’s, Van 32’s, XM719’s etc) and it’s still heavier than my mates Remedy which has Talas 36’s bolted to the front!

It’s a myth that a mid travel bike needs to be overly expensive to be a decent weight and strong these days.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

tree-magnet, how much did all that cost? 😯

si-wilson
    Free Member

Chumba VF2, 5.5″ travel 🙂

benjag
    Free Member

My Ibis with coil pikes and very heavy D321 wheels is 30lb, a change to some decent wheels and air Lyriks should see 28lb.

cheers_drive

28.5lbs in large. Noticibly lighter than the Meta it’s just replaced, probably down to the wheels more than anything.

uplink
    Free Member

Around 28 – 30lb

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Maverick sc’s on the front now, not quite 6″ f&r but 26.6lbs

boybiskit
    Free Member

WTF… ‘course a 6 inch bike can be under 30lb. I weighed my Reign on a mate’s Park digi scale at the weekend. I expected it to be 35lb plus but it is 32lb. And that’s with a set of ‘zocchi All Mountains on it. with a set of lighter forks and a very small sprinkling of bling it could easily be way under 30lb without costing a fortune.

Conversely my ‘light’ hardtail turned out to be 26lb. It has a light frame, light wheels and light forks. It feels very light to ride. Thus proving weight is more important in some areas than others…

GaryLake
    Free Member

Nearly every bike in here is 5.5″ not 6″ but I think a S-Works stumpy is pushing it completely bearing in mind the OP started us off with an Enduro…

I_Ache
    Free Member

My Pitch Comp weighed in at 32.5lbs on the shop Park scales my cheapo fleabay fishing scales measure about the same so I believe in them enough to say my bike currently weighs about 32lbs. If I swapped out the coil Pikes for some 2010 Revs with 150mm travel and put some 819s on it instead of the rubbish that it now has then it would almost certainly be under 30lbs.

A riding buddy has a 5AM with 36 Talas and a relatively tough build (as you would expect) and that comes in at 29.5lbs. Granted that cost nearly 3k but I could drop the weight of my pitch to that for less than 2k all in.

grumm
    Free Member

Surely every genre of bike deserves to be as light as possible – budget allowing. IMHO weight always matters. All mountain bikes do go up as well as down you know

The only thing that matters is whether the bike feels right to you when you ride it. I have ridden bikes that were light on paper but felt sluggish, and heavy ones that felt great. I don’t know what my bike weighs, and nor do any of the people I ride with – it just seems an odd thing to obsess over when buying this type of bike.

The amount of difference between a ‘heavy’ and a ‘light’ all mountain bike is a fraction of a stone of your own body weight anyway.

And yeah apart from the Enduro are any of these bikes 6″ travel?

tree-magnet
    Free Member

6″ forks on my ibis. But yeah, 5.5″ on the back.

b-a-c-o-n
    Free Member

28.2lb – 6″ / 6.25″

GaryLake
    Free Member

I think most 5.5″ bikes have more in common with 6″ bikes than 5″ bikes – I consider my Five to have more in common with an Enduro than a Stumpy…

flamejob
    Free Member

Smidge under 30lb…

…I bet it has the best Weight/Travel/Price ratio 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Pointless bike photo thread #2 – show us your sub 30lb 6″ FS’ers’ is closed to new replies.