Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Pointless and annoying type Q
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

Why is it that over my 30km local loop I am 10 mins quicker riding it one direction over the other?

It flows nicely each way besides a few gates, there’s no section which isn’t ridden and no real outside reason like weather or walkers or traffic as far as I can tell

Yet every time I hammer it always find its 10 mins shorter one way over the other.

I ride the same paths with the same elevation and just can’t see why this should be

Anyone?

treaclesponge
    Free Member

One way you are riding against the spin of the earth. Bit like a plane on a conveyor belt taking off…

AngusWells

If you start out heading west you are going against the earth’s rotation and will be knackered when you turn for home. This might be different if you are in the Southern Hemisphere of course.

Ahhh, beaten to it. But if we both think it it must be true.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Yes, it is 🙂

watsontony
    Free Member

One way you are riding against the spin of the earth. Bit like a plane on a conveyor belt taking off…

lol really?

schmiken

Steeper climb one way? I find one long shallow climb followed a quick descent a lot slower than a short brutal climb and long descent.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Really. There is no doubt in my mind that Prof Cox would agree. However he isnt here so you will have to take my word for it. Honest.

watsontony
    Free Member

could it not just flow slightly better one way that the other? maybe more of a dh run up for the up hills?

for the earth spinning thing….. can we see your route please?
    surely if its a loop the earth spinning makes no difference. please explain this theory to me. preferable using real science not STW science. 😉

Dickyboy

Steeper climb one way?

that’ll be the one – got a running route that does exactly the same to me

AngusWells

Tony, I’ll let Brian Cox answer that, “We are the cosmos made conscious and life is the means by which the universe understands itself.” The problem is I don’t understand that so I can’t really explain.

By the way, I think you are right about the differing slope of hills one way round versus the other.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Pointless and annoying type Q’ is closed to new replies.