Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Poetic justice and trying to get away with not having your kerb lowered
  • TuckerUK
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-22357913

I love this council! Such a good idea, I think all councils should put lampposts outside drives without lowered kerbs! 😆

johndoh
    Free Member

Not even sure why this was a news story in the first place then it gets regurgitated here too.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Clearly you didn’t read it. The lamp post was already there before she paved her front and put a gate in. A non story.

nealglover
    Free Member

Clearly you didn’t read it. The lamp post was already there before she paved her front and put a gate in. A non story.

It’s understandable on STW that people comment on stuff without fully reading links.

But it’s not normally the OP that doesn’t read his own link properly 😀

CountZero

What story?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I read it. Clearly you didn’t understand the implications.

When having a drive ‘installed’ on one’s property, one always asks the council about getting the kerb lowered FIRST. The only reason not to ask first is if you’re one of those oiks who has no intention of having it done.

But it’s not normally the OP that doesn’t read his own link properly

See above. Try to keep up people (slaps heads and rolls eyes).

scaredypants

When having a drive ‘installed’ on one’s property, one always asks the council about getting the kerb lowered FIRST at the same time and usually not immediately after said council has put in a lamp-post

Unconventional, I grant you, but …

“This lamp-post was put in by the council, I had a small wall there at first.
    “The contractor for the driveway said that he was going to put in to the council to have a dropped kerb and he’s going to apply for the lamp post to be moved as well

We are grateful to the householder for acknowledging that her driveway was laid some time after the street light column was installed,” the spokeswoman said.

She has submitted a request this week for work to be carried out on the footway to enable vehicle access to and from the highway

nealglover
    Free Member

The only reason not to ask first is if you’re one of those oiks who has no intention of having it done.

So (having read the story) you think she is “one of those oiks” who has no intention of doing things officially with the council ?

Even though in the story it clearly says that she has already applied to the council.

You think She’s planning on using the driveway with a lamp post right in the middle of the entrance (that was already there)

(Wonders about slapping head and rolling eyes, but decides against it in favour of scratching head and wondering if you really read the story)

nick1962
    Free Member

I currently live in a newish development where no one has a dropped kerb to any of their driveways but there is tarmac laid in the gutter at them all oikstyle.Bizarrely the lampost on the pavement outside one house is on bang in the middle of the footpath that leads to the front door.
    https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Hare+Court,+Todmorden&hl=en&ll=53.720482,-2.104633&spn=0.006374,0.013475&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=6.517469,13.798828&oq=hare+court&hnear=Hare+Ct,+Todmorden,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.721377,-2.106252&panoid=zVTSzFR-ycAn3FL-Ni7xTA&cbp=12,0,,0,0

yunki
    Free Member

see – nick1962 has a story 😀

Trampus
    Free Member

Err. . . isn’t there dropped kerb access to the left of the lamp already?

Looks like contractor demolished wrong part of wall, to me!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

sounds more like contractor did the job regardless to make sure they got paid first. More of a story than making words up to go with a link

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I’ll start again.

If you want a drive on your property you apply for the lowered kerb FIRST. They are NOT automatically granted. Some are refused.

The home owner didn’t. The drive installer, who would have know that permission is sometimes refused, also didn’t.

Now why would that be?

Most probably because the home owner, like many unscrupulous non-law abiding householders, couldn’t care less if the lowered kerb application would be refused, because she wasn’t going to apply to have the kerb lowered.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Most probably because the home owner, like many unscrupulous non-law abiding householders, couldn’t care less if the lowered kerb application would be refused, because she wasn’t going to apply to have the kerb lowered.

right then, this must be the case, i bet she is growing weed in the attic too

“The contractor for the driveway said that he was going to put in to the council to have a dropped kerb and he’s going to apply for the lamp post to be moved as well.

Or more logically, she had no idea what the rules were and paid somebody to sort it out for her. The contractor was either unaware of the rules (probably not) or knew that he got his money for installing the driveway not for moving the lamppost or getting the dropped kerb installed.

But I forgot this is the internet – BURN THE WITCH!!!

yunki
    Free Member

the home owner, like many unscrupulous non-law abiding householders, couldn’t care less

there’s only one way to deal with these vile and diseased animals – a good old American History X kerb stomp

nealglover
    Free Member

Thanks for starting again.

Makes as much sense as it did the first time though I’m afraid.

She knew there was a lamp post there before the work started.

How do you think she was going to ask for that to be removed without asking for a dropped kerb to be installed ?

Also …… It says in the story that she has already applied for the dropped kerb and the light to be moved after the drive was done (before it was a “news” story)

So.

Even after she has applied to have a dropped kerb installed, are you still suggesting that she’s not planning to apply have a dropped kerb installed ??

mikewsmith
    Free Member

£5 says this is TuckerUK’s Mother in Law 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

She knew there was a lamp post there before the work started.

But not until after she’d “already arranged for the drive to be put in” and presumably paid some money towards it. I’m not sure why you’re finding it so hard to understand TuckerUK’s suggestion that she (or her contractor) wouldn’t have bothered to apply for a dropped kerb if they hadn’t put the lamp post in. Of course they’ve applied for that now otherwise it would be unusable 🙄 However I think he’s got quite a reasonable point that the order of events suggests a likelihood of no application going in if her hand hadn’t been forced.

Trampus
    Free Member

FFS, the kerb is already dropped! Some stupid **** built a wall in front of it! 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m not sure why you’re finding it so hard to understand TuckerUK’s suggestion

Maybe it’s because he keeps changing his mind ?

First post he was suggesting the council installed the lamp post at the end of the driveway because she hadn’t had a dropped kerb put in.
    Then realised that wasn’t the way it happened so he changed his mind and started with the guesswork about her application intentions.

user-removed
    Free Member

And the first story underneath: Bad craic.. Back on topic and very sad.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

But not until after she’d “already arranged for the drive to be put in” and presumably paid some money towards it.

Like most people I have no idea what the procedure was/is for getting a drop kerb installed – I’d probably ask the builder.

I’m not sure why you’re finding it so hard to understand TuckerUK’s suggestion that she (or her contractor) wouldn’t have bothered to apply for a dropped kerb if they hadn’t put the lamp post in.

Maybe as it’s based on guess work and an irrational sense that there was something wrong

Of course they’ve applied for that now otherwise it would be unusable However I think he’s got quite a reasonable point that the order of events suggests a likelihood of no application going in if her hand hadn’t been forced.

This is fairly wild speculation really on 2 extremes it’s either naive/trusting in thinking that the contractor had done this before and knew what the process was or willful and spiteful disregard for the councils process’s. With the undisputed aim of bringing the downfall to the world by not having a drop kerb on her driveway. Or more likely somewhere in the middle in something that isn’t actually a story worth talking about.

Also an interesting link User-Removed looks like another one for the wild speculation monkeys/bots to get stuck into.

user-removed
    Free Member

No. A kid died. Possibly due to malfunctioning brakes, possibly not. Either way, it knocks any talk of lowered kerbs into a cocked hat. I mean, honestly.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

user-removed – Member
    No. A kid died. Possibly due to malfunctioning brakes, possibly not. Either way, it knocks any talk of lowered kerbs into a cocked hat. I mean, honestly.

Apologies for seeming flippant, it probably deserves it’s own thread but will just descend like any other into speculation on unproven facts, based on more speculation. Like all these things the people who know either won’t or can’t say what really happened.

It seems an interesting way to kill a thread?

Coyote
    Free Member

I hear you Trampus. I thought exactly the same when I saw the picture. Why have a drive that doesn’t line up with the dropped kerb. More to this than meets the eye.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

you’re one of those oiks who has no intention of having it done

Why should you have to have it done?

wrightyson
    Free Member

I took my front wall down and dug off the garden and stoned it up, I had a letter off the council within a week stating that I was breaking “the law” by crossing a non dropped kerb with a vehicle. I slapped face and rolled eyes as I’d put the application in but they (council) were too stupid to check applications. Probably all down to a do gooder driving by and reporting me….

spooky_b329

If you want a drive on your property you apply for the lowered kerb FIRST. They are NOT automatically granted. Some are refused.

Mate at work did driveways as a side line. He did a crescent block paved driveway with double gates/two entrances, however when he applied to drop the kerb it was refused due to proximity of a junction, and the customer ended up with a dead ended driveway, presumably with no turning area where there could have been space for one, and he ended up out of pocket (I think!)

hora
    Free Member

Where I park at the nursery. A householder has laid flagging at the side of his house on what looks like public Lawn/space. Infront is a 6inch+ kerb (unlowered). He parks his Disco3 there and I always block him in with my C1 (not by choice/nowhere else to park). Its a public highway etc so forget ‘nursey parents causing issue to locals’.

No ones said anything to me as yet….. 🙂

wrightyson
    Free Member

I would just back disco over puny c1 if I needed to get out 😉

hora
    Free Member

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hora, that doesnt even look like their land. Fair play, I’d do the same, but im a spiteful bastard.

martinhutch

My mum’s local council had a good scam going where they toured the local area looking for driveways, old and new, without dropped kerbs, then instructed the owners to get them dropped using their ‘approved’ contractors, both of which happened to charge approximately 100% more than any other quote for the work.

hora
    Free Member

If they are waiting for permission its been a bloody long time though. Its been there months+ like that.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

To me i looks like she’s trying to force their hand into moving the lampost which probably shines stright into her bedroom window. Can’t say I blame her. Taking out another 4 or 5 foot of wall to the left would allow her to come in on an angle.

He parks his Disco3 there

That’s the machine they use for lowering kerbs.

johndoh
    Free Member

And let’s be clear here – this is an old lady whose husband had died, trying to make it easy for her children to park at her house when they go visiting and probably just put way too much trust in what the contractors would do for her.

I feel sorry for her.

DezB
    Free Member

I love Singletrackworld, me.

vinnyeh

If you don’t have the kerb lowered are you still allowed to drive across the pavement to access your driveway ?

DezB
    Free Member

I just read the end of the article
    “We will ensure that the works to provide a dropped kerb and to relocate the street light are co-ordinated to keep costs and any inconvenience to a minimum.”

Thread over?

johndoh
    Free Member

If you don’t have the kerb lowered are you still allowed to drive across the pavement to access your driveway ?

In the same way you can abandon your car on 3/4 a pavement if it is just to pop to the speedbank, yes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Poetic justice and trying to get away with not having your kerb lowered’ is closed to new replies.