Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Pod Coffee Machine – Recomendation Please?
  • nsaints
    Free Member

Must be able to do hot chocolate. Put another way, there must be chocolate only pods available (misses can't stand the taste of coffee…pah!!)

Looking at a few
    Philps senseo – nice and cheap, but is it any good?
    Krups Dolce Gusto – seems to have better reviews, bit more expensive than senseo. But worth it?
    Tassimo – more expensive than the others. Larger than the other machines, filling the worktop?

So whats the STW recommendation?

AndyP
    Free Member

So whats the STW recommendation?
    a non-pod machine. sorry…

nsaints
    Free Member

Perhaps for a coffee connoisseur but I'm along way from that
    They can't be all rubbish

atlaz
    Free Member

My friend has a Tassimo and seems to like it. His average time to make coffee for 3 or 4 people is about the same as mine with a normal coffee machine.

halfbee
    Free Member

Tassimo generates empty plastic pods which don't recycle but the coffee tastes ok

Senseo (sp?) uses 'tea bags' which you can compost but you have to use 2 bags to make it taste of anything.

Overall I prefer a Cafetiere or a stove top Expresso.

sharkbait
    Free Member

We've got a Dolce Gusto job and it's fine.

It doen't make the best coffee in the world but I'm not sure any pod machine would. But it's quick and simple, there's quite a range of stuff it can make and the wife uses it quite bit.

I'd like to get a bean to cup one day but it's quite a way off 🙁

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Get a espresso machine with a milk frother so your wife can do hot chocolate – most here would recommend the haggis classic

scotia
    Free Member

A pod is like a tea-bag. The other machines make their drinks with a capsule, either aluminium (Nespresso) or plastic (Tassimo, Dolce Gusto etc..).

As far as i know, the Dolce Gusto is the best at making a real variety of drinks from coffee to chocolate. As mentioned, their coffee isnt rated the highest, but by far from the worst. The capsules are however a large plastic lump, and are expensive.

If you wanted a coffee only 'capsule' machine, then Nespresso have come out best in consumer reports for the quality of their coffee, its just the capsules for the moment are aluminium..also not good for the environment and are expensive for you the consumer..also only available through their online store.

If you are the only one to drink coffee, personally i would use a Bodum or a stove-top for you (and any guests) and either the microwave or a pan of milk for your missus..

just my 2p…

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

As above – don't buy a pod machine. You pay a huge amount for inferior coffee, very limited choice of supplier, and generate lots of plastic waste. Get a Gaggia Classic or Baby and use the frother for the hot chocolate

MrNutt
    Free Member

don't buy a pod, get a gaccia classic.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Lol just saw the auto correct – gaggia came out as haggis 🙂

higgo
    Free Member

It's so annoying isn't it when you say "I don't want X, I want Y, what's the best Y?" and people still tell you that X>Y.

Anyway… I've used 'pod' machines in self catering apartments etc and they're poor. All of them. Don't buy a pod machine. Buy a proper coffee machine and use the steamer for the hot chocolate.

I too would recommend the 'Haggis' Classic. I'm on my 2nd 'Haggis' Coffee Deluxe which I would recommend if it was still available as it's been excellent. Mine is no longer available but the internals are the same as the Classic.

scotia
    Free Member

As you are not into coffee (OP) why do you actually want a machine – just curious?

If it for convenience and less faff, then with a machine like the dolce gusto you have sth that gives you various drinks, even ice coffee (it has hot & cold water, you still need to supply the ice).

I personally dont like the design of the dolce gusto's but there is a new dolce gusto machine about to come out that does exactly the same things, just takes up less work-top space..

if you want more info send me an email..

derek_starship
    Free Member

To answer the original question: we have a Bosch Tassimo and it makes great drinks very quickly. The Espresso is fab and Mrs. S loves the Suchard hot chocolate.

nsaints
    Free Member

Thanks guys
    So it's a stove top jobbie, until I can offered a Gaggia
    The misses will have to do with instant. Serves her right for not liking coffee in the 1st place 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I think the main advantage is that they are easy to keep clean so suitable for offices. Because the senseo is "bags" they go stale very quickly. Nespresso pods are aluminium sealed so stay fresh. The one I tried tasted OK. But it's a lot of alu. I always liked the coffee from lavazza machines with the plastic pods, but it's a lot of plastic.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Pod Coffee Machine – Recomendation Please?’ is closed to new replies.