Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Poc Trabec Vs Mavic Notch Vs other?…
  • daveg2
    Free Member

Hi Guys,

After many years (8 or 9 I believe!) my trusty helm has finally given up the ghost.

The two helmets I’m looking at are the Trabec & the Notch. What are peoples thoughts on these?

I tried on the Poc and loved the fit, but it’s a little bit more than I’d like to spend. Unfortunately my lbs doesn’t have the mavics in stock but the price is much more appealing.

Anything else (similar style) I should be looking at? I like the look of the new IXS trail helmet, but it looks like it’s not out til mid-september.

Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers,
    Dave

bails

Endura Snype?
    Decent coverage at the back and very light (well, it feels it compared to the Giro Hex it replaced)

ninfan
    Free Member

The mavic is only worth getting from a store that offers the MP3 crash damage cover –

Although it costs extra, after you’ve bought the helmet, (you need a retailer code to register and pay online) it means you get free crash replacement for two years!

Just a shame that the road helmets weigh more than a collapsing star.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matther01
    Free Member

Notch visor is fixed which put me off it in the end. Went for a Hex after my Fox Flux and very happy with it.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Bell Super?

Big-M
    Free Member

Just picked up a Spesh Tactic 2, nice helemet, just couldn’t get on with the fit of the Notch

butterbean
    Free Member

I’ve been running a Notch after using my head as an emergency brake a few months ago.

My only caveat is the typical – buy the one that fits you best.

The Notch fitted, and the POC did too. The POC made me look like this though:

I wasn’t sure whether the fixed peak would be an issue on the Notch, but it’s not at all. On all the various helmets I had previously it just wobbled around anyway.

I like the look of the new IXS one too, when I require something else & if it fits, it will be a toss up between another Notch & that RS lid.

The new Bell lid is awful. Not sure on availability either as the new EBG Distro is doing a stunning bad job of getting up & running.

steveoath
    Free Member

Urge enduromatic? I have a pretty large napper and the L/XL fits great.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Man, I hate typing on the phone. Fit is all. Notch is ace for me, light with good coverage and even fits my planetoid heid. POC didn’t make one big enough. Fixed visor is ace, no rattling. Notch Mavic all the stuff I can’t type just now is over here 🙂 Try on if you can.

jamj1974

Mavic Notch is nice and fits me well and can be found at a good price. My Poc Trabec also fits me well and unlike Butterbean it doesn’t leave me looking like Toad.

mls678
    Free Member

Wait for the Troy Lee A1 ?

mrpiglet1981
    Free Member

Giro feature?
    A lot of lid for £45!

jimjam
    Free Member

I love the fit of the POC trabec, to me it’s barely noticeable on my head. However I can’t justify the price when my 2nd Fox Flux is so good for less than half the price.

Personally I found the Mavic helmet to be noticeably heavy considering the price and uncomfortable. I’d much rather have a Giro Xar or or even Hex, or Fox Striker, all of which I think are better lids. I like the look of the bell super and IXS trail lid, both of which, if comfortable might stop me wanting a trabec. So far though the trabec is the nicest helmet I’ve ever tried on.

doug_basqueMTB.com

jimjam, isn’t the trabec about 30g heavier than the Notch?

Kuco

I like the looks of the Catlike Leaf.

jes
    Free Member

+1 for the Bell Super.

Fox Flux was a previous favourite.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Something that fits rather than something that is expensive and looks it?

rickmeister

What about Urge or Sweet Protection lids ?

butterbean
    Free Member

I love the fit of the POC trabec, to me it’s barely noticeable on my head. However I can’t justify the price when my 2nd Fox Flux is so good for less than half the price.

Personally I found the Mavic helmet to be noticeably heavy considering the price and uncomfortable. I’d much rather have a Giro Xar or or even Hex, or Fox Striker, all of which I think are better lids

You do realise the Mavic is lighter than the Trabec? (And the Flux, Xar etc)?

Fit is very subjective.

The build quality IMO is a lot better than Giro & Fox. Not far from POC, but then it’s a fair bit cheaper 🙂

Stiggy

Might not be the sexiest but its an excellent helmet: Uvex XP

thejesmonddingo

Kuco,I just got a Catlike Leaf in red,light,and fits like glove.

ritchic
    Free Member

+1 giro feature. £45 fits me great and reasonably light

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Giro Feature = boiled head.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

I have just bought a POC trabec and it is very comfortable. Finish is a little poor though for the money. The Fox Flux it replaced was a very good fit and design, might be worth trying one of those?

gamo
    Free Member

Got a Poc and a Giro Feature both comfy and wouldn’t say one was hotter than the other, also got a Uvex Xp cc which is super comfy and better vented/cooler than the others.

daveg2
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replys guys! I ended up making a trip over to Leisure Lakes as they had pretty much every helmet mentioned on this list.

Tried ’em on and after much deliberation (nearly an hour annoying the staff!) I went with the Mavic. The Poc was a little bit comfier, but not enough to justify the extra cost. Plus Poc don’t have a crash replacement scheme, and Mavic do. Fox/Urge didn’t fit as well and the feature just looks a bit warm! I really didn’t like the big kink on the end of that Enduro lid either.

Anyways thanks again for all the input as always 🙂

Cheers,
    Dave

jimjam
    Free Member

doug_basqueMTB.com

jimjam, isn’t the trabec about 30g heavier than the Notch?

butterbean

You do realise the Mavic is lighter than the Trabec? (And the Flux, Xar etc)?

I was a bit perplexed by this, especially since my initial impression and so many others was that it felt pretty heavy. So I weighed one toady, turns out the Notch weighs about 360 grams or so. Not the 319 stated, considerably heavier than the poc. Don’t believe everything you read on the internet I guess.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Got the Catlike Leaf last week – worn it on 4 rides now from very hot to very wet . Very comfortable,light,and airy.
    The visor does a good job of keeping the sun and rain out of your eyes.And it looks good – opposed to thePOC helmets that make me look like a bell##d
    All in all I’m very pleased with it.

iain1775
    Free Member

Another one for a Catlike Leaf
    Feels like your not wearing it its so light and comfy
    Well ventilated and the pads seem to soak up a lot of sweat for their size
    Big improvement over my Giro Xen and Urge
    Wore it on a 35 mile fast ride today and no issues whatever, first helmet that’s fitted me without adjustment straight out the box
    Colour and Matt finish is also ace

organic355
    Free Member

Cycle surgery have the POC Trabecs for £78, which is pretty cheap.

They are 2012 models though.

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueProductKey.ice?ProductID=CPOC0023K1

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Poc Trabec Vs Mavic Notch Vs other?…’ is closed to new replies.