Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • POC Trabec Race – anyone got one?
  • alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Im thinking of splashing out my hard earned on a new trail lid.

A lot for a helmet i know (£160 – ouch!) But……….

I ride a £4k bike, so why scrimp on a helmet that could one day save my noggin? 🙂

Are they actually worth all that and how is ventilation whilst riding?

Also ive seen pics of Black / White in matt and gloss? – Looks pretty nasty in gloss, would go for matt.

Cheers,

Alan.

bikeytom
    Free Member

If you are looking for a high quality lid you should look at the new ones from Sweet Protection. There was a thread about them on here the other day and they look really nice.

ojom
    Free Member

The gloss model is the MIPS model.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I have one. The ventilation is just fine such as it’s been tested in our summer so far this year. What price can you put on your head? I believe they offer something better.

DeeJay
    Free Member

Stu and Nicola at the Dales Bike Centre are wearing them – I tried one and it was very comfortable – here’s what Stu thinks

vorlich
    Free Member

It’s all very well and good manufacturers giving the marketing spiel about their product, but if they are so confident in it, then why not film the testing they have done against a competitors product and post up the video on their website.

Do some science and post up the results!

[admittedly, they look the part]

nwgiles

Yes got a white and orange mips, so comfy but you have to try it to make sure it fits you

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

you have to try it to make sure it fits you

My LBS are getting one in for me to try before i buy.

A Large Giro Feature i tried on today fitted perfectly, but POC seem to be better quality.

Also the Giro has 12 vents, the POC 16 🙂 – So an extra 4 vents = only another £90 – Bargain! 😉

Tasso
    Free Member

Tried Feature and Poc on in Cycle Surgery. Poc is a lot narrower dimension across the temples and completely different fit that wouldn’t work for me.

Waiting for the Feature to arrive from Parker International. £50 sorted.

Much slimmer fit than the Xen it’ll replace. I figure the summers we are getting mean extra vents are superfluous….

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Tasso –

That doesn’t sound promising! 🙁

Was it a Large you tried on?

Guess it doesn’t matter really, if the Feature fitted and the POC is narrower, im guessing it won’t fit 🙁

snakebite
    Free Member

I have one, fits well is light vents as good as previous Giros and Flux, happy with it 🙂

ChrisA
    Free Member

The giro feature seems to fit me better. I had a look at the POC and was ready to buy one, but for the money, I thought the build quality looked poor.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

helmet that could one day save my noggin?

Don’t go starting that one again!!

On the lid never really got the styling on them (but that is probably me) what colour to go with a ginger beard?

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have a normal Trabec, fits well, good ventilation and appears a quality product. Is it worth double the price of a “normal lid” ? Hard to tell but that’s something you could say about a lot of products, bike related or otherwise.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I had my PIN in the card machine in the POC shop in Chamonix ready to buy a Trabec. I love the look of the white/orange one, but looks a bit mushroom-y when I’d got it on. I bottled out at the last minute.

Bring back the Xen, please Giro!

sillyoldman

bullandbladder – try a Xar if you haven’t already – it’s way nicer than the Xen.

cynic-al
    Free Member

So no one has even suggested any real -world tangible benefits of this helmet?

M A R K E T I N G – H Y P E !

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

sillyoldman –

I currently have a L Xen, tried a L Xar and it didn’t fit 🙁

Width wise Giro decided to alter the dimension – Plonkers!

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

So no one has even suggested any real -world tangible benefits of this helmet?

M A R K E T I N G – H Y P E !

It’s different – good enough reason to buy one 🙂

sillyoldman

But the Feature fitted?

Based on same head form, just different contact points due to different vent profile.

Both really nice. If they fit….

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

think of the rotational injuries

legspin
    Free Member

Screams try hard and all the gear to me

proberts
    Free Member

I was looking at the Trabec, tried on a feature and really liked it but went for a Limar X-ride in green. It’s a great lid.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Screams try hard and all the gear to me

LOL! 😉

traildog
    Free Member

I tried one on and it was the best helmet for fit I’ve ever had. But I’ve a small thin head. The point of telling you this is that fit must surely be key, so asking others is missing the point.
    It’s a lot of money but only you can decide if you want to spend it. Remember, while your bike is 4 grand, it will probably last a lot longer than a helmet, which if you get more than 2 years out of you’re doing well IME.

jwt
    Free Member

I’m still using a helmet I bought in 98 for night rides, never had any crah damage and can see no degredation, how do you ‘only’ get two years out of a helmet?

traildog
    Free Member

What usually happens, in the following order:
    It starts to stink so bad that any washing has no effect.
    The padding falls apart and getting replacements often proves difficult. The stickers that hold the velcro also need replacing constantly.
    The straps fray.
    The retention system snaps and falls apart and cannot be repaired.

OR. I crash and finding the required documents to make use of the crash replacement is too difficult.

igorl
    Free Member

I have the white/orange one.
    It really looks kind of ‘mushroomy’, but I do not care.

It fits my head perfectly, can wear it all day long, ventilation is good, you get nice breeze on the way down.

Hopefully, did not had misfortune of testing it in serious crash yet (only minor scratches).

I did pay cca 110 pounds (Race model) for it though, would not buy it otherwise (would probably go for urge enduro-o-matic, but didn’t get a change to test it for fit so cannot compare).

forge197
    Free Member

I have a trabec, just finished two weeks in the alps in hot sunny and colder wetter weather, it’s the most comfortable helmet I’ve owned, fits me perfectly very pleased, doesn’t seem to hot, perfect really very happy with it as a purchase, you don’t realise your wearing it.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Know nothing about the Tribec but I just got a Receptor Flow (pisspot style) with detachable eary bits and crown-pads. It’ll be my climbing helmet too.

Very happy with comfort and fit so far, I’ve yet to need it as a brain-container but if you’re precious about the appearance of lids, stay away ’cause sneeze hard and the lacquer scuffs.

The way I recklessly throw myself and gear around I don’t expect anything to last longer than one coma-saving epi-crash. The Oakley TSG that just snapped in two proved that point.

billysugger
    Free Member

What price can you put on your head?

I see this a lot and it makes me chuckle.

I will make you one with 20 vents thats 2 grams lighter for £250?

Bought a Giro Feature after looking at Trabecs. Thought the Trabecs looked silly from behind and

Screams try hard and all the gear

Feature is good but Trabec may be £80 better. I (like most people who offer opinions on this forum) haven’t tried many other alternatives. Feature felt light and as if I wasn’t wearing one but then I’ve just come from an £8 pisspot so…

If you go for a Trabec I found Descent-Gear to be competitve on price. Wazzed all over CRC/Wiggle etc

forge197
    Free Member

Thought the Trabecs looked silly from behind

They cover more of the head at the back anyway I don’t often look at the back of my head when riding unless something really bad has happened 😀

billysugger
    Free Member

They cover more of the head at the back anyway

Same coverage as the feature I’d have said. But uglier.

Then again t’is only a helmet for riding a bicycle.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I see this a lot and it makes me chuckle.

Really why is that?

When you’ve had two trauma consultants look at your helmet then turn to you and say ‘probably saved your life’ you tend to develop a more pragmatic view of things.

If it can’t be any worse than what’s already available and they tell me that it’s designed to offer best in class protection, then I will happily take their word for it and in the event they are actually right feel grateful I spent a little extra. After all the price dfferential is less than a tank of petrol.

billysugger
    Free Member

Going to say that though aren’t they.

You’d have to have 2 accidents that were exactly the same whilst wearing 2 different brands to disprove it, impossible in other words.

Each to their own. I won’t tell anyone how to spend their money. Crack on.

EDIT

When you’ve had two trauma consultants look at your helmet then turn to you and say ‘probably saved your life’ you tend to develop a more pragmatic view of things.

I have actually had this but for leathers not a helmet.

sunnrider
    Free Member

Got mine ex-display from the local bike shop.
    It´s a good helmet, deals well with proper hot summer weather (spain) and has taken a few proper knock without any worries.

I did lose one small plastic bit but POC replaced it no questions within a week. Solid company.

forge197
    Free Member

Neither are the 1st word in lookers :-), but as I don’t see it and as long as it does it’s primary function then it’s all good, don’t think they had a Feature where I bought the POC as they look pretty similar in the way they protect more at the back, I would have tried both and bought which fitted the best.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If it can’t be any worse than what’s already available and they tell me that it’s designed to offer best in class protection, then I will happily take their word for it and in the event they are actually right feel grateful I spent a little extra

I’ve got this magic bracelet thing that will make you AWESOME, only £5,000.

BTW do consultants study bike helmet protection?

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’ve got this magic bracelet thing that will make you AWESOME, only £5,000.

Don’t be a cock Al

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve told you what it’s designed to do, and you doubt me?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘POC Trabec Race – anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.