Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • POC SPIN new MiPS…
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi Chaps,

Anyone read the review of the new SPIN material POC are using?

I couldn’t help but think that adding a slip plane onto any pads would do the same… i.e. spraying helmet pads with GT85 or PTFE spray…

Why wouldn’t that work?

http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/review-poc-tectal-race-helmet-with-spin-technology-world-exclusive/

Cheers

Ricks

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The problem with the standard MIPs design and that design, is that it relies on the helmet being able to spin around your head – and it’s ability to do so is based on a model of the perfect head – or at least target users head shape.

Peoples heads vary massively – with my pretty square head I get NO rotation at all side to side – except movement from my skin – like the show room models do on the POC dummy heads. I do get movement from MIPS fore and aft, but that is it.

Where as 6D and soon Bell (with their Super DH coming in December) utilise an outer layer of EPS that spins over a second layer of EPS – which stays in place – snugly on your head. Spin is then independent of head shape and interference from hair – the outer layer of EPS can track the shape of the inner layer of EPS unhindered as it was designed in the laboratory to do so.

POC are getting left behind – if STW think that is innovation they are having a gigantic laugh. The two biggest innovations for MTB helmets are going to be the Bell Super DH design, possibly a slimmed down version of Bells Flex 9, 6D’s design and the Cone shaped dual EPS used by Kali, Leatt and Fox. Hopefully, one of the companies will try to amalgamate the independent slip plane design with Kalis cone shaped EPS – as that could be used to further improve safety or slim the helmets down.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Also, watching this video – Leatt already did this – it’s not “innovative”. The silicon inserts are essentially doing the same thing as Kali and Leatt armourgel.

rickon
    Free Member

Cheers Tom 😀

Very informative post!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘POC SPIN new MiPS…’ is closed to new replies.