Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • poached eggs again…..
  • sadexpunk

tried resurrecting an old thread rather than start a new one but theyre all closed…..

ive read all the different advice, tried varying methods, but i never get good poached eggs that stay together. it may be because i hardly ever have fresh eggs, theyre often over a week old, dunno :-/

just seen this on the internet and watched the little video included. i want to try this but i cant find anything in the uk, theyre all US.
    doesnt have to be exactly the same, but does anyone know where i can get some cups with holes in the same sort of fashion?

thanks

lemonysam
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

pan of water, rolling boil, rolling not bubbling. Cap full of vinegar. Spin water in one direction, add egg to centre for 90s then remove. No need for the rest

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Malvern Rider
    Free Member

140 buckaroos?? Sweezus, I just bung mine in the sospan, about a 70% success rate admittedly. A pinch of salt helps the boil.

I take it you have a pan so maybe this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eddingtons-Egg-Poacher-Double-Yellow/dp/B001L62H5I

*edit – pipped by lemonysam – yolk’s on me

Clobber
    Free Member

cling film ftw!

creamegg
    Free Member

No need for vinegar or to spin water either ime

honeybadgerx

Ideally use room temperature eggs, then put in bowl of warm (hot tap) water for a few minutes before hand. They then set pretty much instantly on going in the pan. No need for swirling (awkward when doing a few eggs) or vinegar. This is my go to method now!

slowoldman

Apparently customers who bought this item also bought Hammerite underbody seal. So maybe those holes aren’t a good idea after all.

binners

In slightly related egg news: Mrs Binners has just informed me she’s bought me one of these beauties this very morning…

The Aldi One Egg Frying Pan (in stock this week) – 2 quid very well spent, as she knows I’m partial to the odd bacon and fried egg butty. She knows how to spoil me, that woman. Bless her! 😀

zippykona

DO NOT USE VINEGAR.

grum
    Free Member

No need for vinegar or to spin water either ime

+1

I used to do all sorts of pissing about, now I just crack eggs into the pan of water and it works fine.

fasthaggis

In more egg related things.
    Does anyone soft boil eggs ,then peel them while they are still hot?

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

I find that eggs must be very fresh……

I also use these….. they seem to work.

https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Morrisons-Silicone-Egg-Poacher/286792011

Cougar

A pinch of salt helps the boil.

No, it doesn’t.

DO NOT USE VINEGAR.

Why’s that then? (And why are you shouting?)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Does the vinegar and spinning make it worse? My experience of spinning the water is that it holds the egg white together much better

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Does anyone soft boil eggs ,then peel them while they are still hot?

Gave the dog one last week, he snuffed, barked and sneezed at it for ages before pouncing on it, fox-fashion.

Kuco

I love a good poached egg but I’m also useless at doing them. My brother does them perfectly, no vinegar just a saucepan of hot water. I’ve tried the cling film and other gadgets but find they still fail half the time so stick mainly to fried egg using the least amount of oil possible.

zippykona

Why’s that then? (And why are you shouting?)

Because it makes the eggs taste of vinegar and that is bloody disgusting.
    Edit.i was shouting as I don’t know where the shift button is!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Use a small ramikin, line with cling film (glad-wrap for my aussie homies) bit of butter, crack egg into cling film, pull up edges and spin so it seals the egg in, drop it into boiling water.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

hell I only serve them I only eat scrambled

aphex_2k
    Free Member

zippy – drain the egg? they dont really absorb water (and a well drained fried egg isnt greasy either)

mikey74
    Free Member

I find spinning the water helps keep the whites together better, otherwise they spread too thinly.

I’ve never found the need for vinegar, though.

Stoner
    Free Member

$200? Sheeeeeeeeiiiiiittttttttt.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8Vkn9N4fI8[/video]

stumpy01

binners – Member

The Aldi One Egg Frying Pan (in stock this week) – 2 quid very well spent, as she knows I’m partial to the odd bacon and fried egg butty. She knows how to spoil me, that woman. Bless her!

I keep meaning to buy one of these:

http://whatsgoodtodo.co.uk/greenpan-square-egg-expert-frying-pan-review/

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/16076/Lakeland-Square-Mini-Frying-Pan

so you get a good egg/bread alignment ratio…..

zippykona

aphex_2k – Member
    zippy – drain the egg? they dont really absorb water (and a well drained fried egg isnt greasy either)

POSTED 1 MINUTE AGO # REPORT-POST
    On holiday just about the only thing edible was egg on toast. They did them in vinegar ,ruined my holiday.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Yeh vinegarry eggs dont sound that yum. Totes agree.

binners

Stumpy – good as that looks, there is no way on earth I am sending Mrs Binners a link to the Lakeland website. If she goes on there, then theres no telling where it will end. She’s barred (by herself) from going in the shop when we’re in the Lakes

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

pan of water, rolling boil, rolling not bubbling. Cap full of vinegar. Spin water in one direction, add egg to centre for 90s then remove. No need for the rest

^This

I would add that it’s much easier to get the egg into the water if you first break it into a ramikin or coffee cup.

Fresh eggs are a must really.

The rolling boil is important, if it’s going a mad boil they will fragment

Vinegar is good (you don’t taste it if you use a small splash), to a point it helps if your eggs aren’t the freshest

I never bother to stir the water, just drop them in at the edge, nice and slowly.

I also use a non stick pan with about 2 inches of water in it, and let them drop onto the bottom.

Source: I’ve cooked poached eggs (amongst other things!) professionally.

VanHalen

clingfilm? what an arse! just drop-em in water. they will taste nicer too!

binners

*awaits the first STWer to say you can’t possibly expect decent poached eggs unless they were laid fresh by your own chickens this morning…..*

sadexpunk

whaaaaaat?? go away for 5 mins and 30 posts?? crazy! 🙂

thanks for the link lemonysam, ill get some of those if i cant find anything closer to the original. spose im after something with a flat bottom that doesnt need hanging from the side, but i can try one of those first…..

just to answer some of the other points, ive tried the silicone things lined with butter, the eggs still stick to the side, theres no way id have any success with tying clingfilm, and as for swirlyswirly, i usually cook 3 eggs at a time. once the first eggs in, im doomed 😀

thanks chaps, i expect this to have reached 200 posts in the next half hour then!

theotherjonv

Yeh vinegarry eggs dont sound that yum

Take that back THIS INSTANT!

GrahamS

We have these.

Two for a fiver. Float in a pan of water and they give you nice round poached eggs with no waste. They are made of soft silicon – you just turn them inside out to plop the egg out.

binners

theotherjonv – I don’t know if you read the ‘foods that go together’ thread, but try crushing up all the salt and vinegar crisps in a packet, then dip pickled eggs into the resulting crumble. 😀

alanf
    Free Member

I’m not sure the fresh thing is all that true.
    Keeping chickens I’ve had straight out of the coup, still warm eggs that have a watery yolk and ones a few days old the same. There is no knowing what you will get.
    No spinning and no vinegar here, just get the pan of water at my desired temp and stick the eggs in and take em out when they look done.
    Get good results the vast majority of the time, but there is always one rogue…

sazter

I use a small splash of vinegar, always fresh eggs and they have to be room temp, cold eggs won’t work. Eggs don’t need to be kept in the fridge in the UK. I break the egg into a ladle and lower it into the pan that way it holds together better. No swirling or clingfilm for me.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

sadexpunk
    ive tried the silicone things lined with butter, the eggs still stick to the side,

Mrs ADH uses the silicone jobs with no issue. A light smear with oil first.

If you like a light poach (rather than like rubber bullets all the way through) then running a blunt knife around the edge before turning out helps.

theotherjonv

binners

Used to be my solid protein and carbohydrate refuelling strategy after sports back in the day. A pickled egg thrown in to a bag of crisps. Yummy.

With obviously some oral rehydration to go with it.

I never made it to the pinnacle of sport, to be fair.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Used to be my solid protein and carbohydrate refuelling strategy after sports back in the day. A pickled egg thrown in to a bag of crisps. Yummy.

I will have to try this. My current refuel is a ‘Northern Buffet’ which is a pack of dry roasted peanuts chucked onto an opened out packet of Cheese and Onion crisps (+beer of course) – don’t know if this is an actual thing or not, although my regular riding buddy introduced me to it and he’s very northern.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘poached eggs again…..’ is closed to new replies.