• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by tomd.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Pneumatic drilling outside our house until 4am! Is this normal/ allowed?
  • DanW
    Free Member

I’d love to rant but don’t fancy being critiqued by the STW massif 😉 🙂

Long story short, the council (or rather their contractors) have started pulling up the road outside our house… except they have elected to do this work through the night, starting around 7pm and finishing at 4am last night. The traffic is just rerouted to a single lane with each way taking turns to pass the works. Tonight they are in full flow either stripping or laying tarmac (they are making such a mess of it it is hard to tell) and we’ve got a caterpillar tracked contraption shaking the hell out of the house right outside our door, diggers tearing around, rubble being dumped, drilling going on, etc. Much more activity than during the day where they are doing similar works.

It is bad enough during the day (the “remodelling” has been going on since June 2014) but can they really expect to make this noise in the middle of a city on a residential street until 4am? One night of no sleep is one thing but I don’t fancy it becoming routine!

m0rk
    Free Member

Must have been an emergency.

We had that some years back, as soon as the gas vans turned up at 9pm over the road I booked into the local travelodge.

rt60
    Free Member

Sometimes and yes

trail_rat
    Free Member

Wanna heard the uproad when tbe railways did track maintainance through the city over night

You would think the folks had knocked their house down !

How ever they did gve notice it was happening in the form of a mass mailing

yetidave
    Free Member

Probably under consent from the LA maybe due to traffic management requirements – less disruption than during the day… 🙄

tomd
    Free Member

Check if your council has a noise control department. Ours has a dedicated 24hr contact number. When I got got in touch about some ball bag contractors making noise all night they were great*

*I understand essential works need to be done but these guys weren’t even trying to minimise the impact. Eg running a 10kw diesel generator just outside our window 24/7 to power their kettle.

DanW
    Free Member

I’m not convinced that continuing what appears to be the same work as during the day throughout the night is really on in a residential area but I’d be interested to know what guidelines (if any) they have to follow regarding noise and so on. Must it be a justifiable emergency or can they do what they like to try and minimize traffic disruption as and when they wish?

The works were due to finish Nov 2014 and the whole thing has been poorly managed from the start so the cynic in me wonders if they are just starting to make up for lost time. The contractors live up to every lazy stereotype in the book and they’ve been taking the biscuit with all manner of things during the works but I’d of course prefer it if that level of noise and the lack of sleep that goes with it didn’t become another habit for them

I live near the train station too so general noise and track maintenance is fairly normal but is usually much more efficient in getting finished/ sensible times and was far less disturbing!

tomd
    Free Member

As above, council are responsible for enforcement. Contact them and see what they say.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Pneumatic drilling outside our house until 4am! Is this normal/ allowed?’ is closed to new replies.