Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • PMBA Round 2 …..you racing?
  • ahsat

New post with some photos on PMBA facebook page

Suggesting ff, knee and elbow pads. I only own knee pads and open face helment and thats what I normal ride with at Grizedale. Seriously hoping that is going to be ok. Feeling pretty nervous!

Really depends what forecast you read…MWIS says:

“Risk of snow and rain
    Threat pulses of rain – but falling increasingly as snow to quite low levels, and over a few hours, may merge into near constant precipitation.”

Think I’ll just pack everything!

chakaping
    Free Member

thats what I normal ride with at Grizedale.

Ditto, and I’d be very surprised if the majority of riders are in FF lids.

If you normally ride the off-piste stuff at Grizedale in an open-face helmet then I’d not fret too much – unless you have a habit of coming off more when racing?

ahsat

unless you have a habit of coming off more when racing?

Hummmm….its my first ever race! Hence the nerves. I do the likes of the riverbed bridleway etc in my open helmet so just going to stick with what I know I guess!

chakaping
    Free Member

Hummmm….its my first ever race! Hence the nerves. I do the likes of the riverbed bridleway etc in my open helmet so just going to stick with what I know I guess!

That’s my plan, I know there’s some technical stuff on the walking paths there but I’m unlikely to suddenly start hucking it to flat anyway.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Some teasing pics on facebook – looks like one of the stages is going to include bits of last years stage 3 from the top of Carron Cragg which was flippin ace! Including the rock roll/drop thing on the video I posted.

Met Office forecast is the one to look at too 😉

samcamsdad

Just got home from grizedale, and last years stage 3 is included, although not all the way down to the shop.
    Dry today, rain was moving in as I left, and there is quite a bit of surface water still on the trails I rode, mud guard now fitted.
    It’s worth a practise of the black run as there is some new features up top, which cought a couple of riders out today. If you like jumps, your going to enjoy this!

Neb

I really enjoyed the race today, a cracking day out. It was great to see natural stages linked into the trail centre type stuff. Saw a lot of guys fixing punctures…

reggiegasket
    Free Member

yep great day out. Well run and good stages. Preferred it to the UKGE event last year, in terms of stages.

+1 on the punctures. So many.

samcamsdad

Aye, great stages today, really enjoyed racing them, although quite slowly!
    So glad I’m now using tubeless having seen the puncture carnage on stage 2.
    Another cracking event from the pmba crew.
    Results and pictures are now up on roots and rain website.
    https://www.rootsandrain.com

Tracey

Well organised and a great weekend. Every one looked like they were having fun. Abigale had a stack on the second stage which damaged her rear brake lever and left her battered and bruised but she managed to finish. Twelth in the ladies with a time of 11 49.67. She is well stoked with her first result and is now having a soak to ease the pain. Kevin is still in the garage fitting a new brake as the lever is beyond repair.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I didn’t even start. Was ill all day Saturday and still feeling ropey Sunday but travelled up anyway. Practised stage 1 a couple of times but could hardly hold onto the bars. Did stage 2 and dropped that boardwalk section just after the off-camber slab at the top straight onto a load of rocks – torn tyre and somehow mangled my chain as well. Took that as a sign so went back to the van, had a cup of tea and was home by 2:30. Bit disappointed as I love Grizedale and the work the guys do up there for the stages is top notch…

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i crashed right at the entrance to the trees on stage 1 (no idea how/why, and my left thumb swelled up to twice normal size which made the rest of the day a lot more interesting!), then clipped that pad in the middle of stage 3 and got bounced off down the trail a bit, but other than that it was massive fun!
    i wasn’t last, so that’s a victory for me.
    thanks to all the marshals and organisers, and also to whoever booked that weather as it couldn’t have been much better really.

rooster42
    Free Member

I went down hard on Stage 2 in practice, could smell that burning smell of sparks from steel on rock as I wiped out on a fairly easy bend towards the bottom, annoyed as I had cleared all the difficult stuff rather well but that extra speed was my undoing. Managed to limp around the rest of the stages feeling sorry for myself, planning on going home for an early bath. However those nice ladies at the Medical Tent sorted me out with an ice pack for my bruised leg and after 2 hours kip in the car I decided to neck some drugs and managed to drag my sorry ass around the race, glad I did as Grizedale is so much fun. Took all the stages a little slower and posted an average time in my class, however I PR’d all the Strava stages so was actually quicker injured, guess there’s a lesson in their somewhere. Thanks again to Mike, Kev, Doug and the rest of the PMBA team including all the marshals who gave up their time for us all, cracking day out!

Tom

(the bright orange one on a silver Canyon)

scaled
    Free Member

I had a bit of a shocker, saturday night i noticed that my wheel was very much the wrong shape after Monday nights Cavedale/Peaks adventure. The rim is proper ****, bending the wrong way at one of the spoke holes.

I came down the top of stage one in practice with my balls on the top tube, race run wasnt much better as I crashed once, then hit a tree 😀

Stage 2 was respectable and a great laugh at the bottom watching the puncture based carnage. I can’t believe the number of people running tubeless that didn’t have the worm kits, helped 3 or 4 people out there while my mate was sorting his bike out.

I’m yet to work out why i sucked so bad on stage 3, I think after all the fun and excitement at the bottom of stage 2 i didn’t really have my racing head on anymore!

Cracking day out though, sunburnt but happy 🙂

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

A DNF for me. Burped the front tyre badly on the second stage during practice, would’nt seal so chucked a tube in. During the race I pinch flated on the same stage tried carrying on but crashed, bending my peddle and stripping the threads in the crank arm. Tried bodging the peddle but then I came off again on stage three, ripping the hose out of my rear brake so threw in the towel. Gutted really, always enjoy riding Grizedale and the stages yesterday I thought were excellent.

ticsmon

I came off on the bottom section of stage 1. Over shot a jump and landed on my chest and elbow. Badly winded and very sore elbow but managed to finish. Feeling very sorry for myself today. Great day though. Think I’ll be having nightmares about the top of stage 1.

Tracey

Just bunged the order in for a new brake lever, Kevin fitted a spare last night and she also needs new cassette, chain rings and chain but that’s due to wear and not the crash. Left Abigale in bed this morning, just got a message saying she feels horrible, sick and her head still hurts. She is more upset that she looks like an Umpa Lumpa on the race photo. There was me thinking that her bright red face was all part of the colour thing in Enduro.

ricky1
    Free Member

Interesting day up grizedale then,punctures,offs,face plants,mechanicals and down right sunburnt,and may I mention hale stones,was an excellent day,I did ok until I lost my chain on stage 4 which cost me circa 1 minuite,narrow wide and clutch mech so must have just been rotten luck,lots of laughing and smiling going on,there was a guy at the start of stage 4 with a dislocated shoulder,looked in a lot of pain,he was being looked after very well by all the relevant staff,hope he’s ok,some seriously good times on the results board,mine not so good

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

another good day as always.
    another stupid slip of white paper to remind me how shit i am and ruin it and as always!

darrenspink
    Free Member

bjj.andy.w – Member
    A DNF for me. Burped the front tyre badly on the second stage during practice, would’nt seal so chucked a tube in. During the race I pinch flated on the same stage tried carrying on but crashed, bending my peddle and stripping the threads in the crank arm. Tried bodging the peddle but then I came off again on stage three, ripping the hose out of my rear brake so threw in the towel. Gutted really, always enjoy riding Grizedale and the stages yesterday I thought were excellent.

I saw your crash on stage 3, was at the bottom helping some other fella with his puncture, shame you couldn’t do the last one.

Simon

I was a bit disappointed with my times for 1 and 2, I should have done a couple more practice runs really. But no crashes, no punctures, no mechanicals and weather was almost perfect, I had a great day 🙂

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

I saw your crash on stage 3, was at the bottom helping some other fella with his puncture, shame you couldn’t do the last one.

I reckon the last stage would’ve been my strongest one as well, nice and peddelly 😉 Even if I hadn’t of knackered my peddle/crank coming off twice put paid to having a decent time 😥 Oh well, there’s always the next round 😀

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Just watched the race video those stages looks mega! Think I would have been right at home on Stage 2 fast and rocky like Peaks riding… Really pissed off that I had to miss it now.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘PMBA Round 2 …..you racing?’ is closed to new replies.