Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • PMBA Grizedale. Looks like we're in for a mud fest.
  • darrenspink
    Free Member

Anybody been there other the last few days? By the looks of the forecast and the weather over the last few weeks it’s going to be a slippy muddy affair. If it was purely all off piste then I would be running mud tyres but one stage is Carron cragg and I’m guessing the black run may also be in there, so magic mary’s for me. What are guys and girls running?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Datura on the front for me – spiky, lobo loco rear, cos I havent got another datura!

Any more info on the other stages?

Tracey

Abigale will be running the same tyres she uses everywhere, Butcher Control/Purgatory Control.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    slimporcini
    Free Member

I was there on Saturday and it was pretty damned sloppy. running a mary up front and a dampf out back. will be sticking with that combo for Sunday.

darrenspink
    Free Member

I was there on Saturday and it was pretty damned sloppy. running a mary up front and a dampf out back. will be sticking with that combo for Sunday.

Did you do any of the stages from last year on Saturday?

thestabiliser, cragg is all I know. Read a comment of strava from someone I follow who said that stage 1 from last Sept has been logged so im guessing that won’t be included. Last April the first stage started above the black run so it could be included this time. Stage four ‘maybe’ the same as the last stage from sept which finishes at the centre. Pure speculation obviously.

slimporcini
    Free Member

Yeah, I know the one you’re on about it has a few fallen trees on it. There is more on that side though and with it being a 14 mile loop i reckon we’ll be heading over that side. I hope they use the last stage from sept as i quite liked that. It’d be a big run but if they did a stage from the top of carron crag through the woods, down the black then onto the last stage of sept finishing at the centre, that’d be cool.

darrenspink
    Free Member

I hope they use the last stage from sept as i quite liked that.

I didn’t get chance to practice that so failed big time on my run, might just do it over and over and do the others blind.

Kev said that stage four was long and technical so you maybe right.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Kev said that stage four was long and technical so you maybe right.

>whimper<

Kahurangi

I’m wondering if it’s worth riding at G’dale on Saturday for a bit of a mooch and practice before Sunday or if I should just go and do a proper* ride on Saturday instead?

It’s safe to say that I’ve never ridden any of the stages before.

*like in the mountains

darrenspink
    Free Member

All the stages will be closed off on Saturday Jon so you’ll be limited. Im resting my legs from Wednesday/Thursday 😀

slimporcini
    Free Member

i crashed on that stage through shear exhaustion the root after the rock drop caught me out big time! this one is gonna be just as tough judging by the length and ascent of the loop. will be good!

slimporcini
    Free Member

as will I darrenspink, going for a spin tomorrow and maybe an hour saturday morning.

Simon

I’ll be leaving my Shortys on.
    Used worn out Butcher/Purgatory combo last year and I really struggled on that long stage that dropped down to Coniston.

chakaping
    Free Member

Used worn out Butcher/Purgatory combo last year and I really struggled on that long stage that dropped down to Coniston.

Snap!

Currently laid low with a virus so may not make the race. Anyone wanna buy an entry?

darrenspink
    Free Member

If you post on the PMBA facebook page you may sell it. Cut off is tomorrow I think.

chakaping
    Free Member

Posted on there, it’s great how they’re so flexible with stuff like that.

If nobody takes it I’ll just hope for a swift recovery and ride it for fun.

Would have stuck with my Trail Boss on the rear but I see Kev was rocking Magic Marys both ends!

Kahurangi

All the stages will be closed off on Saturday

I read the email and interpreted it such that there is one stage on private land or FP that it out of bounds so Don’t Even Go There.

However I’ve not ridden at Grizedale trail centre since I was 13 so assumed there might be some benefit in just riding the normal trails (I believe there’s a red loop and a ‘black’ section as well?).

Anyway, I’ll most likely steer clear on Saturday and go find some rocky stuff in the South Lakes to go and ride.

darrenspink
    Free Member

However I’ve not ridden at Grizedale trail centre since I was 13 so assumed there might be some benefit in just riding the normal trails (I believe there’s a red loop and a ‘black’ section as well?).

Yes there is, most of the stages will be fresh cut or off piste stuff or walking routes not normally opened up to bikes. You’ll still be able to ride most of the built trails there. Enjoy whatever you do.

yetiman1
    Free Member

Or just peddle to Coniston on Saturday for a ‘few’ Bluebirds at the Sun Inn! The perfect warm up?

darrenspink
    Free Member

Some pretty long stages.

So just the cragg out of bounds with the others unknow.

http://us10.campaign-archive1.com/?u=d0188321819cf91f6b88e4406&id=3addea9624

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I’m frightened.

Stage 4 is freaking me out. Stage 2 looks like last sept stage 2. Top section of that did for me last year and haven’t ridden it since, done middle and bottom and fine with them but if 4 = > schralp than 2 I’m ****.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Man up, it’s only a bike trail. I’ll be riding the enduro there later in the year, reading this thread with some interest.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

A steep slippy pointy rooty rocky hurty stabby bastard of a bike trail. Probably.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Loosen up, keep looking well ahead and enjoy it fella. Who cares where you finish, a great weekend is the goal.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Was it muddy? Yes it was, and rooty. So much mud and roots I don’t want to see either for a year. Really enjoyed stage 2.

Simon

It wasn’t quite as muddy as the last PMBA I did at Grizedale but I’m glad I went with the Shortys.
    I had a great day out, but it was hard.
    We picked an early start time and ended up riding practice and race with only a 15 minute break in between!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Top of 1. and 4 were pure endurocross for me, which was annoying cos I actually got down 1 in practice, bar the drop. Cracking day out though.

Tracey

After a great day at the Steel City DH we travelled straight up for an early start on Sunday. Practice was a nightmare for both Ed and Abigale. They both crashed on stage 4 which put Ed out for the rest of the day with a damaged shoulder and a broken rear brake lever. Abigale managed to buckle her front wheel and with no spare time to sort it decided to ride with it any way.
    There was a red flag behind her on stage two so she was one of the unfortunate ones who had to do the climb back up from the bottom to the top to do the re run. She flatted the back tyre on stage three, not checked the rim yet to see how carbon holds up.
    Even with her problems she still had a great time and looking forward to round three.
    Once again the organisers have come up with the goods. Thanks to everyone for the efforts put in

Kahurangi

Cunning how that profile up there disguises the mid-way uphill sprint on S4 and the flat sprint to finish, isn’t it!

Anyway, I’m starting to think I enjoyed it now.

Also cheers to Tracey for the marshalling and timing chip stuff!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

A steep slippy pointy rooty rocky hurty stabby bastard of a bike trail.

I was right about that at least.

Anyone else struggle to pick lines on Carron cragg? with everything wet I couldn’t tell the difference between solid ground, slop or rocks, must need glasses.

lost 20 seconds on last sept’s time and I rode it crap then!

stcolin
    Free Member

My day lasted about 20 yards when on the first stage practice my rear shock blew up. From what I rode, it looked really good, I was gutted I couldn’t race.

Simon

Thestabiliser, I think I spoke to you on one of the climbs. You told me you were local but you’d not ridden any of the fresh cut stuff until last year.

slimporcini
    Free Member

a top day’s racing. I dropped the chain on stage 2 and stage 4 which cost me dearly as far as times went, still managed to beat 44% of my class so taking positives from that.

slimporcini
    Free Member

Tracey, was that you checking everyone’s dibbers at the start of the race?

Simon

42nd in Vets for me. An improvement on Gisburn Rd1 and last year’s Grizedale Rd5.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Another great day by the PMBA crew. Many thanks to Mike, Kev, Glenn, Dunc et al.

Stage 1 and the top of 4 were very tricky but 2 and 3 were good fun, as always.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Ah, rings a bell, good to meet you! Id say mid pack is pretty damn good, there were some very handy riders on course.
    I think all the stages had a bit more for everyone this time round. Really struggled last year, but after the mudbathdeathroots at there was a fun flowy bit on each stage. Haven’t improved much placings wise but bettered timewise overall. Would love to crack riding the fresh cut but not sure if the risk of injury’s worth it.
    Might not do anymore and get back to some xc but its definitely improved my riding. (From a shockingly low base!)

chakaping
    Free Member

Sounds like I missed another epic, but in my absence my pal Neal has done a race report…
    http://unduro.co.uk/mtb/pmba-enduro-series-round-2-grizedale/

🙂

Tracey

Yes that was me checking in the transponders at the start and helping with the signing on. Only three weeks to go before my Xray and hopefully the all clear to get back on the bike.
    Just sorted Abigales back wheel, after clattering down the last part of stage 3 with a flat, the tyre is ready for the bin or the pub bike. I am amazed and relieved that I cant find a mark on the carbon rim. Must be down to luck.

Simon

Would love to crack riding the fresh cut but not sure if the risk of injury’s worth it.

At one of the Grizedale rounds last year I rode with some riders that are much faster than me. The thing they had in common was that they were not afraid to crash, and they did a few times in the actual race and still kicked my arse!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘PMBA Grizedale. Looks like we're in for a mud fest.’ is closed to new replies.