Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • PMBA Grizedale Enduro – Hostel or Campsite suggestions
  • fr0sty125
    Free Member

As above I need a campsite or hostel I will be traveling via train and bike so need somewhere close. Any suggestions?

samcamsdad

There are youth hostels in hawkshead and coniston, and a decent campsite at saterthwaite, which is probably closest.
    Just so you know, the Windermere ferry is going to be off, so if your planning on riding you’ll have to go the long way round.
    It’s also the brathay marathon on the same day, so accomodation could be getting full, and some roads will be closed around lake.
    It’s not the best day to be having an event in grizedale to be honest!

jambalaya
    Free Member

We’ve stayed at Queens Head Hotel in Hawkshead, liked it and gave it a good review. Some rooms where newly refurbed and very nice, the ones which where not where a bit tired but that was 2 years ago now. The pub is quite lively and food pretty good so it’s worth a visit if you stay there or not.

Queens Head Hotel, TripAdvisor

Hawkshead has a campsite just on the outskirts of the town, so an easy stroll to the pub etc. Large-ish pay and display car park too. There where quite a few mtb-ers there.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Just so you know, the Windermere ferry is going to be off, so if your planning on riding you’ll have to go the long way round.

That sounds a bit crap!

EDIT Just found out they are running a pedestrian and cycle service

samcamsdad

It looks like a passenger ferry is running from Bowness bay, witch will take up to two bikes, if there’s room. Google Windermere ferry closure, and you’ll find the details. ( sorry, not sure how to post a link from my phone.)
    The two campsites in hawkshead are nice but its a hell of a climb to get to grizedale visitor centre.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The two campsites in hawkshead are nice but its a hell of a climb to get to grizedale visitor centre.

Just to add that when we where there (walking trip) all the mtb-ers drove out to the riding.

tomaso
    Free Member

Big vote for Hawkshead YHA

Kings Arms pub in Hawkshead for post ride recovery beer!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Just to add that when we where there (walking trip) all the mtb-ers drove out to the riding.

There’s a bridleway from hawkshead up into Grizedale that’s less steep than the road. And it’s not that bad anyway you big jessies

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Hawkshead YHA is booked up so I think I will try Saterthwaite campsite just need to get Monday off work to make it all work really.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘PMBA Grizedale Enduro – Hostel or Campsite suggestions’ is closed to new replies.