• This topic has 16 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Si.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Plymouth Trails
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Anybody recommend any trails mainly off road setting off from Coypool?
    Have been doing a 20 mile route up through Cann over to Hooksbury wood (now trashed by the tree felling that’s been going on of late) up Crownhill Tor back to Cann via Wotter.
    Mainly evening rides twice a week.
    Looking for some inspiring off road circular routes.
    Any input would be appreciated!

jam-bo

Tag along with some of the yogis? They ride out of coypool a couple of nights a week.

julianwilson
    Free Member

That ride sounds like a right slog, the weather we’ve had!

+1 for the yogis. After riding round here for years, I still learnt loooooads of great trails from them. Unless you know you that you are pretty fast, I would start with a thursday or saturday ride as the tuesday one is often 3 hours and a lot more than 20 miles in that time!
    http://yogicycling.com/

Also, even if you don’t have a gps or smartphone, join Strava just to have a look at what/where other folk are riding: there are loads of local xc riders that strava most of their rides and you will find plenty of circular-ish routes from coypool between 10 and 40 miles.

Failing that, wait for the lovely xc-steve to pop up on this thread so he can point you to some of the many massive online routes he has recorded.

zelak999
    Free Member

Thanks Chaps, I always thought the Yogis a bit racehead for me, but i must give it a go, I’m not that slow!
    I will await xc-steve’s reply……………..

carlphillips
    Free Member

coastpath to wembury is a good one,lopwell dam route through southway nature reserve is also good, strava my name you’ll find a few..
    a few of us ride from coypool tues/thurs evenings and early sunday mornings really easy paced. and around a few hours long, distance varies though! like last night!!!
    yogis good bunch of lads and good for fun/fitness/routes but they don’t stop much..! as Julian says if you unsure of your fitness then start with the thursday group, the only problem with that evening is they don’t start from coypool they drive to yelverton then discuss where they going, then drive to that place, then ride a trail….a bit of a faff for me to bother with unfortunately.

my mail is in my profile if you fancy meeting up at all.
    I ride mon/tuesday during the days also if you have time off.

zelak999
    Free Member

Cheers Carl, I will take you up on that in the near future!
    Do you head to any trail centres often? Afan/Cwmcarn/FoD?

carlphillips
    Free Member

cwmcarn uplift tomorrow morning in fact!!
    we go afan once sometimes twice a year as a big group, quantocks rides a little more frequently but not as frequent as we should..

never been assed to drive to FOD

Taff
    Free Member

Is Cann wood demolished? I’m planning to come down that way in a few weeks as not ridden there since uni. I used to ride around Cann, across the other side of the river and head up to Princetown and do routes around Dartmoor

galactus
    Free Member

Cann all good still,some jumps gone…and some better 😀
    Tavy/chip shop better for DH
    Dartmoor still rules though 😀

sbd16v
    Free Member

i ride with yogi every thursday, and on the saturday fun rides

the tuesday night ride is quite racey but the thursday and sat fun rides are FAR from that, 10 miles in 3 hours is an average thursday slow and technical is normally the way.

were meeting at yelverton rock tommorow morning at 10 am, to drive on to a start point.

sbd16v
    Free Member

and as if by magic, someone just posted on the yogi mtb face book page

http://www.facebook.com/groups/120750471300542/

link to cann woods riders page

”A page for all latest information regarding riding at Cann Woods. Latest posts and news, a hub for all the riders to post any comments or problems up. ”

zelak999
    Free Member

Cheers folks.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Thought this was going to be a thread about the new trails debate… http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/plymouth-city-council-support-the-development-of-cycle-trails-in-the-plym-valley-2

Hey everyone! Zelak if I was you I’d ride with Carl as his trail knowledge easily trumps mine otherwise the Yogi’s Saturday morning ride could be a shout but their pace is a little above average but they’re a little more accommodating on Saturday’s if your slow. Mid week/tuesday’s ride’s entry requirements are if you can stick to the pace along the cycle path then your in.

If all else fails drop me an email Stephen[at]hodgemail.co.uk

Carl you heading out this Thursday? Might be free for a ride assuming my training schedule stays as it is!

carlphillips
    Free Member

no can do this thursday I’m afraid, mrs is out so i’m on kids detail…
    am out for long xc on monday from 9am onwards, tuesday is road ride to whitsands and surrounding area (again from 9am) then Haldon nite ride after work on friday for a few hours…

next week should return to normal and I’ll most likely be out on tues & thursday eve.

Mid week/tuesday’s ride’s entry requirements are if you can stick to the pace along the cycle path then your in

that about sums it up!! after that though it does calm down a tad, unless Si young is leading!

Si
    Free Member

New Plymouth resident too so be interested to join some of you at some point? Need to learn Plymbridge, Cann etc

jam-bo

Had enough of the hippies?

Si
    Free Member

Moved all over the place since then!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Plymouth Trails’ is closed to new replies.