Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Plymerf commuting routes
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Anyone on here commute across Plymouth???

Looking for a sensible bike route from Torpoint Ferry to Crownhill area – and don’t much fancy the A386 Outland Road

jam-bo

through swilly. quickly.

Dibbs
    Free Member

through swilly. quickly.

😆

rkk01
    Free Member

with Kevlar armoured tyres, obviously…

jam-bo

along the dock wall, up through st budeaux and along crownhill road?

rkk01
    Free Member

I wondered about that – up Weston Mill…

julianwilson
    Free Member

Geddon u janner!

A386 is the quickest way for sure, I’ve done it a couple of times (mum lives along there) but not at rush hour and its true you get squeezed a bit by the co-op/pounds house as a cyclist. Someone even got killed there (by a hit and run) at 2am recently!

St Budeaux or weston mill is a long diversion though. Through Swilly (signposted as North Prospect -go up there and then right onto Ha Drive and left onto Honicknowle lane) is a bit shorter but has a rather impessive hill in it at one point -not too bad a route if your destination is nearer transit way tesco end of crownhill road rather than crownhill village itself.

Otherwise, may I suggest as a slightly stoppy-starty (lots of back streets and t-junctions) but only a little bit longer route the following:

Ferry Road, Across Devonport park to Milne road/Portland place, across devonport road to garflied terrace, the Elms, Wingfield Road, De La Haye Avenue, Across bottom of Central Park to corner of Barn Park and Trelawney Road, up Barn Park rd to cross mini roundabout to Broad park road, left onto weston park road, right onto burleigh lane, Tor Lane to Tor Road to come out near the EDF building and the manadon roundabout/flyover, to drop down to the south-east ‘corner’ of the roundabout and take the cycle paths underneath it (I haven’t ridden the footbridge bridge suspended underneath the A386 for ages but everyone used to ignore the cyclists dismount sign) and then come up the left side of tavistock road but on the residential road that runs separate and high up on the left: last 200m is shared pavement alongside the main A386/tavistock road -in traffic the last bit of the main road after the flyover up to crownhill is pretty horrible. You can get to Crownhill village and the north east side by taking the underpass at Bladder Lane park or quiet cycle route up the left side gets you to police station/crownhill fort side.

I’ve never ridden all that as a one-er otherwise I’d send you the strava trail of it, now I have typed it all out it sounds well complicated!!

[edit] Oh BTW to be a tru janner u callz it Plymuff, or just ‘the muff’, innum.

harryjan
    Free Member

I’ve commuted Outland road to Derriford for the best part of 5 years without any issues.

Good few sections of cycle ‘paths’ (Lines) and others bus lanes to make use of.

The only real annoyance to me is the cycle path ending 1/2 way up the hill after the flyover.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Plymerf commuting routes’ is closed to new replies.