Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Plusnet broadband – any good???
  • peakprowler
    Free Member

Plusnet are doing good deals on phone/broadband & I am looking at switching from AOL. Can anyone offer any feedback on thier service or any other kitter deals about???

SidewaysTim

Was with them for years. Limited downloads unless you pay a bit more. I've switched to Opal (talktalk) now as the line rental/braodband etc worked out a fair bit better for the same money.

Plusnet rarely failed though.

grumm
    Free Member

I use them and they have been fine, though their 'unlimited' service isn't unlimited – probably true of most of them though.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I use plusnet. It'sThey've been a bit flaky for the last few months (DNS failures at peak times mainly) but they seem to have sorted it out. They're 'OK' or possibly better, but not perfect.

tinribz
    Free Member

A friend of mine (cough) got cut off by them for breeching their 'unlimited' limit. They also used to have regular 'accidents' every 6 months or so that wiped out the ftp website area. Presumably it was getting full. OK I suppose if you fit their preferred customer profile.

walla24
    Free Member

parents are with them, get sent letters when i'm home from uni suggesting that we should switch to a more 'commercial' download package.
    Get some good speeds out of them mind and connections never drop.

Mr_C
    Free Member

I was with them for about 3 years. Started off on an 'unlimited' package which they changed with no notice to a '20 gig limit', however, if you went over 12 gigs in a month they send you an email telling you that you are approaching the limit and they will be throttling the connection until the end of the billing period. The connection would drop at least twice in an evening.

I've since moved to Sky – truly unlimited for less money and in the year I've been with them the connection hasn't dropped once.

tyke
    Free Member

Been with them for 5 years. Overall very good, reliable and reasonable speeds – 5MB and I'm about 3kms from my local exchange. The download limits only apply to peak hours – 4pm – midnight. You get unlimited downloads outside of this time.

Only issue you might have is that they use packet shaping, so for example if you use torrents or BBC iPlayer to download stuff then download speeds get restricted even if you are within your download limits.

tinribz
    Free Member

Ditto Mr_C. If you sweet talk them sky will give you 8M unlimited broadband for a tenner if you get the TV.

Farmer_John
    Free Member

Shambolic.

From a recent experience with a member of the family, although they set the line up quickly it's currently yielding a 0.3Mb uplink speed and 0.16Mb download speed.

They've been "investigating" for 4 weeks and despite ADSL normally offering a higher downlink speed than uplink, and the same line previously achieving 2Mb download speeds, they have as yet, not fixed it.

Their tech support is utterly useless – they ask endless detailed questions which when answered go unread – they just try and close down tech support calls irrespective of whether they are resolved.

I'd say they are marginally better than TalkTalk but not much – and that says a lot.

MrOvershoot

Been with them since 2003, in my case absolutely faultless.

Getting up to 12meg on an 8meg package

PlusNet Premium £11.99 a month

* 80GB usage allowance
    * Unlimited overnight usage
    * Up to 20Mb speeds1
    * Free easy setup wireless router
    * Free connection
    * 24/7 support
    * No-contract option
    * Save money with referrals

Northwind

I was with F9 til Plusnet took them over, now with Plusnet always been pleased with them. Only criticism I have is that they let me rattle on on an inferior F9 tariff (and even throttled my connection for exceeding my usage) when there was a tariff that was half the price with twice the usage available. Pretty poor service. But, they've been reliable and generally good.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Plusnet broadband – any good???’ is closed to new replies.