Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Plus 5mm headsets – what are my options?
  • IanB
    Free Member

I need a headset with plus 5mm lower cup to help keep the geometry the same when fitting a slightly shorter fork than the frame was designed for. I’ve seen the Cane Creek S3, but wondered if there are there any other options?

Thanks,

Ian

wwaswas

On-one smoothie+5?

warpcow
    Free Member

FSA do a +5 version of the Orbit MX IIRC. Although I would recommend the CC S3 too. I’ve had the regular version for a couple of years now, no problems (same for a regular Orbit MX).

ahwiles
    Free Member

losing/gaining 5mm will make sod all difference to the head angle, if the change in handlebar height bothers you, use an extra spacer under the stem.

IanB
    Free Member

wwaswas & warpcow – thanks. On-one is cheaper, so might go for that.

ahwiles – bar height isn’t the concern. Just trying to preserve a similar head angle when going from 475mm fork to a 460mm. Will probably try without first anyway, but assessing options in advance.

Ian

kamina
    Free Member

I had a +5mm (I think) race for a Chris King headset. It was not manufactured by them, rather some frame manufacturer who had clearance problems (maybe ventana).

edit: actually they make one themself:

http://chrisking.com/parts/baseplates

ahwiles
    Free Member

ok, so you’re losing 15mm…

use a +5 headset and a bigger tyre?

easy.

IanB
    Free Member

Thanks kamina – that looks perfect. Means I haven’t got to swap headsets if I want to swap forks back 😀

ahwiles – yes, that’s the plan – hence the original question 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Plus 5mm headsets – what are my options?’ is closed to new replies.