• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by fossy.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • plumbingtrackworld – why won't my heating work?
  • stany
    Free Member

Every winter we seem to play the same game.
    We had a new boiler fitted about 4 years ago, and it’s serviced every year.
    The heating all around the house seems to work fine when the temperature outside is mild, but as soon as we get to low single figures or below, only the bathroom towel rail and 2 other rads will get hot.
    We’ve had about 3 differing plumbers look at the issue but invariably this happens when the outside temp has warmed and all the heating is working again.
    The boiler company sent their own engineer last winter after plumber 3 insisted it was a boiler issue, but now we’re into this season’s freeze, the same old issue is back.
    Granted, I’ve not personally balanced the rads, but I’ve not the time or knowledge to do so.
    None of the 3 plumbers have recommended this though.
    Is there any hope out there for a warm house….and wife?!

kormoran
    Free Member

Are you sure they were plumbers and not bike mechanics?

(psssst…wrong forum mate)

belugabob
    Free Member

Did you bleed from the bottom or the top?
    Did you use DOT4 or mineral oil?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andybrad

Pipes freezing?

Airlock?

newrobdob
    Free Member

Where is the boiler? Upstairs?
    Where are the rads that work and the ones that don’t?

stany
    Free Member

From the top…

Forum fail
    Mineral, always
    No idea
    Downstairs rads are not warming much. Upstairs are fine.

stany
    Free Member

Oh, and boiler is upstairs too.

chestrockwell

Suggests the boiler is not powerful enough for the amount of rads you have to me. Try turning off some that work and seeing if the ones that don’t then do.

fooman

We have a couple of radiators that weren’t hot enough in winter, furthest from the boiler, turned out the TRVs don’t seem to open enough, even on the highest setting, and despite being replaced. Unscrewed the TRV head (held in place by a lock ring) and boom, hot radiator.

Bear
    Free Member

Could be balancing, but you say they all work fine when the weather is warmer?
    Or is it that some are shut or partially shut by TRV valves?
    It could be undersized boiler, radiators or pipework, or even pump.
    Or a combination of them.
    It could be debris in the system.
    You need to know what flow temperature the boiler is producing, and also the return.
    There could be a bypass valve somewhere incorrectly set, or even worse a manual bypass that is fully open.
    Lots more info needed to give and probably a site visit by someone who will take time to inspect the whole system and probably take some measurements to check heat losses, radiator outputs, temperatures etc.
    I’m not surprised nobody has tried to balance the system as most seem incapable of understanding the concept, I’ve some notes which I can mail you on balancing that has helped a few here I think. timATj-twren.eclipse.co.uk

newrobdob
    Free Member

If at certain times all the rads heat up then there might not be a blockage. I reckon you need to balance the system properly first, it’s not very difficult, a cheap pipe thermostat and a screwdriver is all you need. It might be that when it’s cold the upstairs rads being closest to the boiler are using up all the heat before it gets downstairs. I had this issue with a new rad I put in downstairs, balanced it all and it was fine.

tillydog
    Free Member

Is the boiler on all the time in the cold weather, or is it still cycling on and off? (or modulating down, anyway).

If so,

I reckon you need to balance the system properly first

– Likely that the rads nearest the boiler are taking more flow than they can lose heat from, so hot water is just circulating back to the boiler which thinks its job is done and turns itself down/off.

Measuring the temperature of the inlet and outlet pipes from the radiators will tell you if this is the case straight away.

stany
    Free Member

The boiler is on/off, not powering all the time, so it obviously thinks it’s job is done.
    Plenty of heat around the house today while it’s 6 or 7 degrees outside.
    Thanks for all the answers. The obvious next step, as I’ve already acknowledged, will be balancing.

just5minutes
    Free Member

[deleted – someone’s already suggested it]

singletrackmind

IANABE
    but I would look at the pump speed setting , if its variable
    Lever on side of pump with 1 11 111 on it. If its on #1 then try it on #3.
    You will need to pop off the cover to do this . You wont die .
    If the boiler is flaming out , and the downstairs rads are cold this suggests bypass valve . Could be something as simple as lowering the flow to the upstairs rads to increase flow elsewhere.

This is going to be the most idiotic questin ever , but have you tried setting the upstairs TRV’s to frost and the downstairs to furnace? Fire it up and see what gives . Is there a towel rail on open loop? wind that off as well .

Is there a magnetic trap installed?
    Was it powerflushed when commisioned?
    Have you tested / checked your inhibitor ( nails in jar.- lid on )

fossy

We lost 2 of the downstairs radiators after the system got drained due to a leak. Couldn’t get them to heat up, but remembered turning off all the upstairs radiators when this happened some years earlier. It worked. Then turned on the upstairs rads and ensured they were bled – we have one radiator that seems to be the point where air gets, so only ever need to bleed that rad.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘plumbingtrackworld – why won't my heating work?’ is closed to new replies.