Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Plumbingtrackworld- non return valves
  • timbur
    Free Member

Evening all,
    I’ve got bad plumbing (Fnarr!)
    The bath until recently back filled the shower tray which I sorted with a 40mm non return valve. All jolly good. Now the bath drains much better but has started to fill the sink (only a small bit)
    The sink is 32mm and I can’t find a non return valve in that size. There is room for two 32-40mm reducers and the valve but I’m wondering if a Hepvo self healing valve might work?
    Any advice that doesn’t involve re-plumbing the entire bathroom gratefully received
    Cheers
    Tim
    🙂

footflaps

Why not fix the problem, which I’m guessing is a blocked drain pipe from the bath?

TheBrick
    Free Member

You might need to check venting too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    timbur
    Free Member

Nope, big bath sat in the middle of the waste run.
    Shower at one end sink at the other with the waste joining the soil pipe beyond the sink. The valve between the bath and shower stopped that back fill but the sink now fills a small amount. The Hepvo looks like it’ll do the job.
    We’ve been living with the problem for years but I’m sorting it now as I have some spare time now the nights are drawing in and works become manageable again.

timbur
    Free Member

Venting? Help????

timbur
    Free Member

Aha, bathroom water waste plumbed into vented soil stack.
    (Terminology might be wrong so be gentle)

nickjb
    Free Member

Assuming your sink is higher than your bath it seems unlikely the bath draining can fill the sink also assuming the laws of physics apply. Is not just some pressurisation pushing the contents of the u-bend up a bit (although most problems tend to suck the contents of the u-bend out, rather then the other way)? Maybe you need an AAV (Air Admittance Valve) somewhere in the system

slackalice
    Free Member

Sounds like pressure and a need for venting too, as per @nickjb. You’ll be able to get an AAV for the basin and is part of the u-bend assembly. Good plumbers or builders merchant will sort you right out!

jb72
    Free Member

Is your soil stack internal or external?

We had similar weird things happen. Turned out that because the soil stack was internal (and finished in the loft) … the air admittance valve in the loft had failed. Once replaced everything drained correctly.

If your soil stack is external this won’t apply.

Bear
    Free Member

There should be no need for non return valves in a waste system.

If you are using them they are masking a problem, sort it properly before a bigger issue might arise.

timbur
    Free Member

Lol- def a problem but short of swapping the bath and shower around at vast expense there’s no “proper” way round it. Going to try a Hepvo for the sake of £15. It could well be just the water in the u bend if the sink being pressured up. It would explain the limited amount.

andyl
    Free Member

Been thinking about installing them into our barn conversion as we will be on a flood plane (but very, very, very slim chance of flooding) and be on a septic tank. I looked at them in travis perkins after seeing them used on American RVs and thought for £5 they were a pretty good idea but they are £36 here: http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/en/plumbing-drainage/drainage/soil-waste/hepworth-bv1-self-sealing-waste-valve-32-mm/

I am sure the guy in TP looked them up and said they were only a fiver.

just spotted one for £19 somewhere else.

They do remind me of something used on stud farms…

STATO
    Free Member

Got those on the sink and bath in my bathroom in place of U bends as we were restricted for space. Seem to work fine.

Minor gripe that the input and output connections are not in-line, which is not really much more than and OCD issue were it not for said space issues under bath meaning its bending the 90 off the bath slightly, and hence the reason its leaked slightly twice in the last year, which reminds me i need to find a shallower waste and overflow to remedy the problem.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you get a non-return valve make sure you get the right size, cos you won’t be able to take it back to the shop.

timbur
    Free Member

Mol grips- not funny!
    Hepvos on eBay. Osma ones iirc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Plumbingtrackworld- non return valves’ is closed to new replies.