Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Plumbingtrackworld again
  • molgrips
    Free Member

There are a couple of tiny leaks in my heating system. As in, a few drops an hour, the pressure drops over the course of weeks.

Is there something you can put in that’ll seal the leaks, kind of like Radweld for car radiators?

Actually come to think of it, I have a bottle of Radweld in the garage…. (joke)

HolmwoodDave
    Free Member

Yep Fernox Leak Sealer should do it
    Linky
    Go to a plumping merchant, most of the big ones stock it (Plumbase etc).

jam-bo

If you know where it’s leaking from, why not fix it?

molgrips
    Free Member

Well, it’s somewhere behind the boiler, and it’s also from one of the motorised valves. They are both very small, so if I can patch it up rather than have to drain it and replace valves, I will.

dropoff

Think I’ll stay away from the plumping merchants till after xmas :):)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Your just letting your self in for a world of hurt.

A leak in a connection is one thing but in valves and you want to put in a chemical gunker …… Lovely idea.

I would think of a suitable analogy but i cant think of anything you could relate too….

Stick in some stans sealant or an egg white ?? …. Will be about as good for the system.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

and it’s also from one of the motorised valves.

gotta say, bite the bullet – new valve.

is the valve inside the boiler, or is it a regular 2-port/3-port motorised jobbie?

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s in the airing cupboard. Just a straight through on-off job like a tap with a motor and gearbox clipped onto the top of it.

If I can work out how to drain it down without making a huge mess.. maybe…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Can you try freezing it please ? And record the outcome ?

A long hose is your friend to drain

molgrips
    Free Member

I could just do what I did when I changed the downstairs rad – just drained enough water from the lowest point to equalise the pressure (a few litres), and create enough a vacuum up top to stop the water running out.

Of course, I’d have to make sure to do the downstairs tap back up before removing the valve at the top…!

molgrips
    Free Member

Right. Took the valve off, took it to the plumbers place. Turns out after long humming and hahing that it’s only available with the actuator and I could only get after Christmas.

So I twiddled it and oiled it until it stopped feeling gritty, and refitted it along with some more inhibitor. No leaks so far!

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Did you not try to tighten up the nuts first?

molgrips
    Free Member

It wasn’t leaking from the threads where it was fitted, and the valve itself is not adjustable or tightenable like a normal tap.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Plumbingtrackworld again’ is closed to new replies.