Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Plumbing/heating types here?
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

Can I use flexible pipe for central heating? It would be so much easier to deal with, if only because it comes in sensible lengths. Want to run an extra pair of radiators in another building, about 4 metres from the house. (Insulation isn’t an issue.) Once inside the very old building there isn’t a straight line so a degree of flex would be easier to deal with.
    This sort of stuff
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-pe-x-barrier-pipe-15mm-x-25m-white/54479

nickjb
    Free Member

How flexible? You can use pushfit like hep2o or jg speedfit. It’ll bend quite a bit. Just need the barrier type (which most of it is these days)

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yes. Make sure you use inserts and cut with a proper pair of pipe cutters not a hacksaw as that’s the kind of thing I do when just bodging site cabins together.
    Perfectly acceptable, we do all our rad drops in copper tho, up to the first elbow. You can also buy it in rolls rather than legnths.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    martinhutch

Speedfit type stuff? – yes, although I’d want to be back to copper compression fittings for the actual connections to the rads.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Its a roll I want to use to avoid a joint which will then be insulated and “permanently” hidden along an outside wall.
    Its is also way cheaper! So many versions to choose from. Is the one linked OK?
    Copper planned for the very short length from elbow at ground level to rad.

wrightyson
    Free Member

That link is fine. However what type of insulation are you considering and what value is it good for? I’d perhaps consider trace heating if the pipe could theoretically sit for long periods in winter with cold water in it.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Insulation? Hmm. Thicker than normal grey stuff encased in some form of plastic trunking. Can’t be too thick as it has to enter the shed via the door frame and not be in the way at that point so one pipe on top of other. Once inside it will split to 2 rads. 3.8 metres outside although half that buried in my log store.
    Accepting some heat loss although bright ideas welcome.
    oh yeah. Does it sag between clips. Thinking about the internal bit.

footflaps

Doesn’t some of the flexible stuff have quite a low upper temp limit, sure I’ve seen 60C somewhere?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Doesn’t some of the flexible stuff have quite a low upper temp limit, sure I’ve seen 60C somewhere?

We use in our new build housing as do loads of other companies. Its fine for heating requirements.

Its not the heat loss id be concerned about, it’s the fact that if it was switched off or the rads in the shed weren’t calling for heat then could it theoretically freeze? Not a major issue as it would be outside but a ballache non the less. Trace heating can be done very simply, we do it on external sprinkler tanks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Plumbing/heating types here?’ is closed to new replies.