Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Plumbing question…knocking noise from pipes?
  • cvilla

So had to use/adjust water stop-tap recently and ever since we get some knocking noises from pipes, usually when cold tap is turned off, BUT I can also hear the noise when there is nothing else being used i.e. no heating, no washing machine, no WC flush etc (I know as I am the only one in the house at the moment!).
    So any ideas, trapped air! problems with water supply? for info system boiler, immersion cylinder, tanks in loft. Not been in loft yet, but is there anything to see, pipes all insulated?
    Is this just too much pressure affecting some loose pipes or air? Any advice appreciated. Thanks Chris

footflaps

Could be the header tank valve bouncing? This would happen after it refills which will be after you have used some hot water / cold water in the bath / shower.

Drac

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqFh0QWE-Y0[/video]

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    patriotpro
    Free Member

lol @ drac 😆

patriotpro
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=t_egDyfSves[/video]

joemarshall
    Free Member

use/adjust water stop-tap recently

You did turn it back full on, absolutely full on (maybe a little bit of a turn back off just so it doesn’t stick, but basically fully open) didn’t you?

I had this, and it turned out I’d not opened the stopcock the full amount.

If so, go and do that, and it should fix it. There’s no reason to have a stopcock not fully open, doesn’t change the water pressure in the house, and leaving it like that makes pipes go bang (and can be bad for pipes and for the stopcock so I’m told).

cvilla

Joe, good advice, initial test seems to have worked, 2 points 😉

I’ll post an update if the ‘tune’ changes!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Plumbing question…knocking noise from pipes?’ is closed to new replies.