Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Plumbing question
  • faz083
    Free Member

Kitchen tap at home is a mixer tap, two spurs off a pipe come up to it. The cold works fine (tap is on ground floor), but the hot has always been a bit slow off the mark. Might take 10 seconds to fill a glass rather than the 3 it might take the cold, for instance. I’ve taken the actual tap off and turned the taps on, and it’s obviously not the tap where the water exits as it’s still slow bubbling out of the base, whereas the mains cold is fine and practically hits the ceiling.
    Yesterday after a few days of little use, something changed, and now when you turn the hot tap nothing happens for about 5 seconds, then a very faint trickle comes out. It does not get any quicker.
    There is a tap further along the line (at the end actually – but still further away from the boiler), which has excellent hot pressure, and always has.

Obviously the tap is dodgy, or something in the spur, but I’m confused where to go next.
    I’ve had a nose in the boiler cupboard (it’s an immersion heater), and there are plenty of stopcocks of which the pipes are cold, but the hot pipes don’t seem to have any ‘normal’ looking stopcocks, just some wierd things which don’t look right. Is it feasible there is no stopcock and a tank drain is in order? At least then I can take the tap off and have a ganders.

help much appreciated!

bencooper
    Free Member

Sounds like an airlock – our kitchen mixer gets this sometimes if the boiler temp is a bit too high. My fix is to put my hand over the tap and turn on cold, forcing the cold back up the hot water pipe – do this for 30 seconds, then try hot again, and it has usually cleared it fine.

faz083
    Free Member

Ok I’ve tried that. It didn’t seem to work, to be honest, it’s no worse, but no better either.

thanks for the suggestion though

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Bear
    Free Member

If the tap has a flow straightener on the outlet of the spout I suspect there could be scale / debris on it. Usually see a pair of flats and it should unscrew.

faz083
    Free Member

I’ve taken the spout off and the water still trickles out when I turn the tap, so not that.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Plumbing question’ is closed to new replies.