Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Plumbing Query (Lead Pipe capping)
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Our empty terrace house used to be connected to an out house, with a water supply. All that is left now is the 2m long led pipe that connected it.

We already knew the previous owner had bodge capping the pipe ie modern plastic cap.

WIth the water off it is evident the lead pipe is very soft, and is larger diameter (I guess not metric) than the plastic cap, so it was never going to fit great.

What is the correct way to cap a led pipe, and what is the best way to bodge fix a led pipe?

Thanks

big_n_daft
    Free Member

remove all the lead, if you are on a common supply apply for a new connection via the water companies scheme to remove lead pipework

Bear
    Free Member

Fold it over and solder it up!

Or you can get a transition coupling (water main fittings) that will convert it to plastic then cap that off.
    http://www.philmac.co.uk/products/universal-transition-couplings/

or get a lead loc and then cap the outlet from that http://www.melimatic.com/7.html

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I know it would be best to take the pipe out, but the house is up for sale, and to be honest not really some thing I want to fork out on.

Probably will try philmac, but its trying to find a local supplier 🙁

marcus7
    Free Member

Where are you based?

mugsys_m8

Why don’t you just look at disconnecting the lead pipe at the main house connection rather than trying to cap the outhouse end of the lead pipe?

Or am I missing something?

carlos
    Free Member

FD – try your local Travis Perkins, most stock/deal with Plasson, who do a variety of lead to plastic/copper converters, add a little plastic/copper and then just cap as normal with a stop end

To bodge it just fold it over and solder it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Its in Sheffield, although I live near Bradford, so a bit of a pain. Daft question, if I bodge and solder, is it just a standard soldering iron and solder?

andywoods
    Free Member

+1 for leadloc

nealglover
    Free Member

Have seen plenty bent over and hammered flat and it seems to work pretty well.

Personally I would use a leadloc fitting and cap properly.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Plumbing Query (Lead Pipe capping)’ is closed to new replies.