Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Plumbing Q. Speedfit v HEP20.
  • scrumfled
    Free Member

The last time I plumbed anything it involved a gas torch and good old copper. Apparently its ‘simpler’ nowadays with plastic pipe, except Im looking at two 15mm pipes sticking out of the floor and wondering how the hell you know if they’re speedfit or HEP20 (Im told the inserts are different, so want to make sure i get the right ones).

mikedabear
    Free Member

Hi, Wrong forum but anyway. Speed fit is white and Hep2o is grey.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Hep2o is grey.

Hep2O used to be grey but it isn’t any more

In theory you should only use consistent stuff pipe/inserts/fittings but the pipe is pretty much all the same and the inserts are just to give it extra strength so it’s not an issue.

How have you got pipes sticking out of the floor, with inserts already in them, but no fittings?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikedabear
    Free Member

Hep2O used to be grey but it isn’t any more

That shows how long ago I used Hep. I prefer JG as it easier to disassemble. I suppose you are going to tell me that’s changed now 🙁
    Any way speed fit should have the JG logo on it.
    As simons_nicolai-uk – Member has said the fittings should be compatible with each other.

sig123
    Free Member

No, pipes are different do not mix and match you will end up with a leak, speed fit is white and will have it wrote on it.

andyl
    Free Member

You can get speed fit in grey or white.

Colour is NOT the way to tell.

It might work but generally the best way to combine different pipe standards (pressurised and waste) is a compression fitting.

All my JG stuff has JG written on it, the pipe will normally have cut markers too. Not used other brands.

BigJohn

Little arrows on the JG Speetfit pipe. Also the pipes are a 3 part laminate, white blue white so you should see a blue ring in the cut end.

kissmylapierre
    Free Member

15mm pipe is the same OD weather it copper plastic Barrier or PEX the inside will vary slightly all fittings and pipe are interchangeable there was a british standard about all this. the places to be careful are with chrome tube never fit push fit on this compression only the other place to be careful is inserts there a slight variations in the insert due to pipe wall thickness should be firm not hard to insert.
    if you do use compression fittings always fit an insert and use soft copper olives not brass olives.

alextemper
    Free Member

If any of the runs carry hot water then I would use the barrier pipe with either manufacturer. It’s double skinned and less prone to sagging due to heat from the water unlike the standard single skin pipe.

If you use HEP, double check that the metal grabbers inside the fittings are the correct way around. There are occasions where these have been put in the wrong way around from factory and cause the fitting to pop off the pipe when pressurised. Not what you want to happen.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Top tip – don’t stick your finger into a speedfit connector to see how it works……

takisawa2

I used Tectite Sprint fittings to plumb a rad in yesterday. Very easy to use.
    Really impressed

Onzadog
    Free Member

Rockhopper, thanks for the early morning chuckle.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

If you use HEP, double check that the metal grabbers inside the fittings are the correct way around. There are occasions where these have been put in the wrong way around from factory and cause the fitting to pop off the pipe when pressurised. Not what you want to happen.

or when lovely wife takes them apart and reassembles the wrong way around when plumbing in pumped shower. We got back from the pub to the sound of an indoor waterfall. You could see a wet patch on the outside wall of the house for about 6 months….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Plumbing Q. Speedfit v HEP20.’ is closed to new replies.