Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • plumbing help flexi hose spanner to tap
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

….HELP !!!

Flexi hose burst this morning on the hot water tap (basin) have fitted new hose but can’t tighten the hose onto the tap (easily) as there really is no room for a spanner.

1. is there a certain type of spanner i can get to tighten hose onto tap ?

2. any other ideas ???

3. hand tight isn’t sufficient …

thanks in advance

somafunk

Get yourself down to screwfix for a tap wrench

boblo
    Free Member

Yep Google ‘tap spanner’

peterno51

Does the whole tap (single tap?) come out the top of the basin? Is there a ‘collar’ large nut thing that holds the tap to the basin?

Edit: there are loads of permutations of hose type fittings, what you got?

csb

Is it a mono bloc tap (one tap, hot and cold combined)?

The pipes that are compression (or plastic push fit) fit at one end, are called tap tails, and the other end is 10mm screw fits. They should be hand tightened.

csb

Tap spanners and wrenches are for fitting the tap itself to the basin, not for the feed pipes.

csb

You tube some videos that look like what youve got.

Murray

Take the basin off the wall. Tighten with normal spanner. Put basin back up. (works for close coupled toilet cisterns so may work for your basin).

Bear
    Free Member

Tap spanners are for tightening connections onto taps, although not so common these days because of monobloc mixers.
    More often you need a socket set or long box spanner to tighten tap into basin these days.

You could try a handtight tap connected from speedfit I think, or you might be lucky and find a flexible connection from fluidmaster that you can hand tighten, although they are quite bulky.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Two taps, bought one of those tools from screwfix, will try later….

Thanks for all replies

singlesman
    Free Member

Tap connector end really doesn’t need to be too tight, don’t over do it, just pinch it up.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Just replaced all the fixtures and fittings in my downstairs loo. Tap connectors are good for standard normal separate hot and cold taps. In my case removing the sink off the wall wouldn’t have made access any easier because the tap connection was up inside a void in the porcelain.

My tap connector end was a bit bulky and I did struggle a bit to get good purchase and torque on without it slipping, but as has already been said you don’t want to crank up the torque on these things as you can damage or split the washers you are tightening the nut up to. Just go good firm ‘nip’.

Bear
    Free Member

Any fitting only requires tightening to stop it from leaking, whether that is a nip or hanging on the end of a pair of 24″ stilsons! Preparation is the key to a good seal, clean surfaces, meeting nice and square, good quality washers or sealant, and probably a fitting of suitable quality too!
    Remember though that if on mains pressure, that can sometimes double during the night.

dovebiker

Adjustable basin wrench

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘plumbing help flexi hose spanner to tap’ is closed to new replies.