Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Plumbing – external sealant for slight leaks?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

My wife’s at home on her own, the toilet inlet is leaking at the valve joint.

There are external leak seal products, are they likely to help in this situation? Any recommendations?

sharkbait
    Free Member

It’s under mains pressure so I think you may be better off replacing the joint 🙁

IANAP

footflaps

Self amalgamating tape?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

Ok but I’m away from home, and my wife has to do this. I doubt she’s up for replacing joints.

I’d be interested to know if anyone’s used this:

http://www.diy.com/departments/sentinel-seal-x-leak-sealer-50ml/262261_BQ.prd?gclid=CMLiidnprMUCFUyWtAodpGMAwg&ecamp=SEAPLA262261_BQ&ef_id=VQ-lYAAAAJByGDzL:20150506094157:s

midlifecrashes

Drain cistern. Isolator in supply or main stopcock. Use bucket to flush loo until fixed.

Fernox LS-X does work sometimes, but why bother risking it.

wwaswas

what midlifecrashes says – just turn the supply off – there should be a quarter turn valve within a foot or so of the inlet to the cistern.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yep, just turn off the isolating valve when not in use until her hero returns.

muddy9mtb

plumbers putty… should be cheap and readily available at a plumbers merchant or local diy, similar to the b&Q stuff probably. As a temporary fix whats not to lose – then fix it properly on your return

andyl
    Free Member

Self amalgamating tape?

^ this. The silicone version might be easier for her to stretch around the joint.

Service valve on the inlet pipe? Probably easier to encapsulate the whole valve starting and finishing a good inch along the pipe either side.

edit: I did wonder which side of the valve. If the toilet side just turn off and put a bucket underneath or wrap in a towel.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s the toilet side, apparently. Problem is the pipe goes straight down into the floor.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/sd9Rup]toilet[/url] by molgrips, on Flickr

brassneck

Putty for a quick fix, but I’d expect to replace it when you get home.

Tape if you can get a tight pull all around the joint, and don’t spare the layers 🙂 – but also I’d replace. Any mains pressure joints need proper sorting or they’ll go again when you’re all away for 2 weeks.

johnners
    Free Member

Any chance she could just nip it up half a flat? Might be all it needs.

molgrips
    Free Member

She tried nipping it up, to no avail.

Is the valve in that picture a quarter turn one? I told her to set the slot horizontal..

mrjmt
    Free Member

Just turn the valve, flush it and see if it refills?

andyl
    Free Member

yeah just turn the valve slot so it’s across the direction of flow – ie horizontal. Wrap some towels round and keep changing them as there will only be a little bit of water up to the spout inside the cistern.

molgrips
    Free Member

Seems that turning the valve horizontal has indeed stopped the flow. Thanks folks. I will re-do the joints when I get home.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Plumbing – external sealant for slight leaks?’ is closed to new replies.