Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Plumbers/Heating Engineers
  • eskay

I came down stairs this morning to a failed boiler!

I have an old Glow Worm balanced flu type and the heat exchanger has sprung a leak.

I have heard people say before that you should try to keep these type of units going because they are pretty bomb proof compared to modern day alternatives.

So the questions is, replace the heat exchanger (£400-£500) or replace the whole thing?

What is a ball park figure for a replacement boiler?

bruneep

I left a failed boiler in bed this morning.

RustyMac

Bruneep – You going to go looking to exchanger for £4-500 as well?

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d try and keep it going. New ones are a little more efficient but you will be unlikely to cover the savings.

bruneep

Was looking to trade in, however cost to change was too much. Will just run this one into the ground and see what options are available online at the time.

soops
    Free Member

New boiler.

RustyMac

Lol at neep

JAG

First things first: they are not Engineers, they’re Technicians 😀

But I’d swap the heat exchanger. A new boiler will cost £2000 to £3000.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“First things first: they are not Engineers, they’re Technicians ”

if you over simplify what it is they do perhaps.

ill let them have the title heating engineer having seen what some of them can do…..(some of it involves more calcs and design work than the stuff i do as an engineer)

much like a kwikfit fitter is a part fitter not a mechanic – a mecahnic fixes things he doesnt just replace consumables.there are extremes at both ends of the title.

4-500 quid for a heat exchanger – how expensive was your boiler – a replacement wont be much more unless its a monster im sure – glow worm aint a premium brand are they ?

i dont buy the bomb proof part – more like cash cow thats easy to fix 😉

dooosuk
    Free Member

I was quoted £1200 to replace my boiler next summer when he’s quiet. To replace now I’d think prices would be sky high.

Fix it I say.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Plumbers/Heating Engineers’ is closed to new replies.