Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Plumbers – tap fittings
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

Just checking my thinking is correct on this one.

Replacing a sink from one with two separate taps to one with a mono block. Currently the two copper water supply pipes come out of the wall horizontally, turn through 90 degrees and go straight into the tap connections with the taps connected directly. I need to put an elbow joint on to enable the flexi pipes of the mono block tap to connect without kinking the flex-hose and I want to put in an isolation valve too for easier maintenance in the future.

So have I got the required fittings right? The brass elbow joint is 15mm at the male end to connect to the tap connector on the end of the copper supply pipes, the ball isolation valve which was a compression fitting on each end to screw into the female half inch end of the elbow with PTFE tape providing sealing (not shown on photo). The end of the monobliock flexi will connect to the other end of the isolation valve which has a rubber gasket to seal.

Have I chosen the right fittings? seems to me It would work but not sure if I need a rubber washer/gasket down the end of the female end of the elbow fitting.

Cheers.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Your photo isn’t showing, but don’t connect flexi tap connectors to an isolation valve as the valve has a tapered fitting and the tap connectors need a flat mating surface to seal properly., plenty do do it, but I’ve also seen plenty leak too.

tjagain

IIRC the pic had a cast iron elbow onto a isolation valve which is not right. Isolation valve fits a compression fitting. Tap connector is tapered.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Thanks. I wasn’t sure about it hence the check. I’ll try to see if I can find an elbow tap fitting to compression fitting then a short piece of copper pipe to connect the isolation valve to so it’s all done by compression fittings.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Toolstation sell a pair of adapters to go into a compression fitting that a 1/2″ tap tail can screw straight onto with a flat mating surface.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Plumbers – tap fittings’ is closed to new replies.