Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Plumbers – radiator advice please
  • matt_outandabout

We have microbore pipes, older Wickes 102 boiler in extended 1970’s semi.

Out the back, in the extension there is a lack of radiators and it is cold. We plan more extension and fully understand the boiler while fine at present is on borrowed time, hence a ‘hold’ on major improvements or changes for now.

I have leaky radiator, that has rusted through at top bleed valve area. It is single panel, single convector.

What is the highest heat output radiator I can get (900mm wide) – is it worth a triple, or stick with a double/double?

bamboo
    Free Member

Have a look on trade radiators website. I’ve bought a couple from there, they seem good to me and there are tables of all the heat outputs for each radiator they sell

Cheers

matt_outandabout

I am more aware that microbore increases flow rate on lower volumes – and I don’t know if this means that small, high volume or high high output rads are less worth it/not going to achieve outputs.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matt_outandabout

I am more aware that microbore increases flow rate on lower volumes – and I don’t know if this means that small, high volume or high high output rads are less worth it/not going to achieve outputs.

globalti
    Free Member

The discussion is irrelevant until you insulate the extension properly with modern materials such as Cellotex and foam-backed plasterboard. Once you’ve done that, the 750 watts from a hard-working games computer cooling fan will be enough to warm the room, as my son now knows in his extension bedroom.

matt_outandabout

I agree.

However, until the extension and changes happen in late 2016 (when we can sell BTL flat), I need a replacement radiator….I don’t want to insulate massively and then discover that a wall or area needs structural column or similar in there…

globalti
    Free Member

Microbore or 15mm makes no difference; the same size of radiator will fill up with hot water at the same temperature and give out the same heat. With microbore all that happens is that the water flows faster in the pipeline.

matt_outandabout

Cheers – triple it is then.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Plumbers – radiator advice please’ is closed to new replies.