Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Plumbers of STW… help please!
  • robertgray05
    Free Member

What would cause my hot water to splutter?

Cold water runs fine with good pressure, a mixer tap about halfway hot/cold runs fine and smoothly, but hot water only splutters uncontrollably, meaning you get burny burny hot water all over everything if you stand too close. Additionally, our shower pressure is a bit rubbish and I wonder if this is making it worse.

Ideas?!

Cheers! B

nealglover
    Free Member

Is it just from one tap ?
    Where is it ?
    What sort of hot water system?
    Any work done recently ?

robertgray05
    Free Member

From all hot water taps
    Flat is all on one level, hot water tank is next to bathroom, kitchen tap is 10 yards away
    Hot water tank has 2 immersion elements, one of which is almost never used (connected to a booster switch)
    No work done recently
    Shower pressure has gotten worse recently, feels like spluttering has too but not sure

nealglover
    Free Member

Is it a vented or unvented cylinder ?

takisawa2

Tank stat knackered ? Causing the element to stay on all the time & boil up causing air – stuttering ? Either way, check the tank temp & I’d leave it off till fixed. Hot water tanks can go pop…

robertgray05
    Free Member

Unvented

I’m not aware of the tank ever becoming too hot, at least, touching the outside of the inch-thick foam insulation never feels any more than pleasantly warm?

nealglover
    Free Member

Is the water any hotter than normal though ?

If you haven’t already, it would be worth draining and re filling the cylinder as this need to be done from time to time to re establish the air gap.

Found this to save me typing it all out 🙂

……

Turn off CW supply.
    Open lowest hot tap
    Hold open the red (usually) topped (Pressure and temperature relief)valve on the side of the tank by turning it – you may get it to stay open, or you hold on for an eternity until the hot tap stops flowing. Could be 15 mins or so
    (Let) close the red topped valve.
    Shut hot tap.
    Open mains supply.
    Wait till filling noise stops.
    Open that same hot tap – it will sputter a lot as the air comes out.

robertgray05
    Free Member

Update: it worked. Drained the cylinder only partially, got a good slug of rusty water out and taps now running splutter free. Thank you!

Shower pressure still poor though. Bummer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Plumbers of STW… help please!’ is closed to new replies.