Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Plumbers: Myson Kickspace heaters?
  • wwaswas

Any good as the sole source of heat in a kitchen?

Background;

We’re moving a kitchen from one room to another.

Room we’re going to has a 60×120 double panel rad in it at the moment. This is probably too large as we have to keep the thermostat right down or the room gets too hot.

There will be a lot less wallspace and it would be good to not have a wall mounted radiator once the kitchen is installed.

So, can I just remove the radiator, take the existing tails and run pipes to a Myson thingy and expect to get enough heat to warm the room properly?

Was looking at one of the duo ones to give a bit of heat one cooler mornings when we might not have the CH on but could go for one of the larger CH only ones if it was needed.

wwaswas

*bump*

patriotpro
    Free Member

My Mum has one but only cos she doesn’t really have an alternative so in that respect it’s fine.

Ooops, just seen your your thread-title “plumbers”, i’m not a plumber.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

We have one that came with the house – it’s noisy but reasonably effective

wwaswas

patriotpro – I’m happy to take the usual ill informed ramblings of the bored at work/home along with any google search results people can find on my behalf alongside any opinions based on actual first hand experience 🙂

forge197
    Free Member

Have one in the rental property I am in its either on or off and when on it’s noisy, I wouldn’t have one through choice.

Had one in a previous house we owned didn’t use it as its intrusive and again seemed to be on or off which for both is a manual process it never seems to go on and off automatically.

If having a new floor is underfloor heating an option?

midlifecrashes

We have one, not the Duo, it wasn’t available when we did ours years ago, so it’s the equivalent of the hydronic. It’s not very good, noisy and less heat output than expected. That said, it’s in a kitchen which is a single storey offshoot with three uninsulated solid walls and a not very well insulated roof. So maybe if I had done the calcs they would tell me I really needed three of them. In your situation with a room that already gets too warm it might be fine. I’m glad though that I left a little bit of wall free for a big vertical panel radiator as plan B.

Edit: don’t forget if you do go for it you’ll need wiring to power it, which will need to be have a room thermostat in the circuit as you can’t run a TRV on them, but if I remember rightly the wiring and plumbing were a doddle. Mine is thirteen years old and hasn’t skipped a beat, they may also have tweaked them over the years for more heat output.

thehustler
    Free Member

patriotpro – I’m happy to take the usual ill informed ramblings of the bored at work/home along with any google search results people can find on my behalf alongside any opinions based on actual first hand experience

so why would you be asking a plumber for advice about an elctrical product?

Bear
    Free Member

Because it is connected to the heating system?

nickhart
    Free Member

i’m not a plumber either but we had a kickspace heater. not sure what make it was but it was brilliant. the only source of heat for a 4m square kitchen/dining room. it was one of the best things we ever bought for the house.

globalti
    Free Member

We considered one for our chilly utility room with three outside walls, all lined with units or doors. Our plumber advised us not to fit one because, he said, the water galleries are very narrow and if there’s crepe in your CH water the first place it will collect will be the matrix, which is also at the very bottom of the circuit.

The other problem is that when the boiler isn’t running the ‘stat could call for heat and the fan could run for hours, turning out no heat at all.

So we went for a Myson electric, controlled by a 240v room ‘stat, which is remarkably sensitive. It works OK and takes the chill off the room and helps stuff to dry. It is quite noisy though, I wouldn’t want it in a room we actually spend time in.

midlifecrashes

The other problem is that when the boiler isn’t running the ‘stat could call for heat and the fan could run for hours, turning out no heat at all.

Doesn’t happen, fan doesn’t turn without heat/flow, a sensor in there stops that, though we have a switch on ours for summer mode just to work as a cold air fan. Just realised mine is a Smiths, not a Myson, but they are very similar.

wwaswas

Thanks for the feedback. Think I’ll look at the standard ones with a thermostat rather than mixed.

We won’t be sitting in the kitchen so some fan noise would be acceptable.

northernmatt

I was speaking to a chap about them at work today. If you go for a 600 wide one it’ll kick out between 1-1.5kw so should be fine if a 6×12 DC is too much. Bear in mind they come with a white grille as standard so if you want any other colour add about £20-30 on to the price.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

can’t you just lift the raditor off it’s brackets, tip it flat and lie it on the floor under your new units and drill some vent holes?

markrh
    Free Member

oliverd if you’re not a plumber you should be 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Plumbers: Myson Kickspace heaters?’ is closed to new replies.