Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Plumber help please – need to replace my dishwasher but the inline tap is stuck
  • mudshark
    Free Member

This is the tap but I can't turn it, trying to turn it towards me but only moves a fraction of a turn. It seems like there's a stop to the left of the tap that's stopping it from turning more. What should I do?

Hopefully you can see this pic:

clubber
    Free Member

Switch off the mains water at the stop cock will limit the mess

clubber
    Free Member

Oh, pic loaded now! See if you can take the plastic tap bit off (looks like there may be a screw holding it in place) then either reposition the handle so you can turn it or use a spanner/pliers/etc.

mudshark
    Free Member

Ah well that's another problem – not sure I've found the mains tap yet! Well I have found what I think is the mains tap but it doesn't stop the water to the kitchen so wonder if it's fed from the tank in the loft.

Taking the tap off sounds a good idea though it's a bit hard to get at.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I suspect you will have to find whatever it is you need to turn off to stop water coming through that there copper pipe and undo the nut. Those plastic taps can be right fecker…

mudshark
    Free Member

OK I got the tap off; when I try to turn the bit you can now see water starts to come out so that's not good!

phyncra
    Free Member

I would normally assume clockwise is off, but since this is just an isolating valve in theory 90 deg either way should do it – tho I could be wrong

Re the water- you often get a bit of leakage from these when you turn them off, but it shouldnt be masses.

prob a +1 for finfing the maions stopcock!

btw plumber I aint!

geoffj

What happens if you turn the brass bit 90 degrees anticlockwise? Surely that shuts it off?

mudshark
    Free Member

Well it's quite fiddly to turn, as the space is limited and I'm using a money wrench, but as soon as I start it leaks; maybe if I can turn it all the way it would stop leaking. Is anticlockwise the right way to try then as I was turning clockwise.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Unless it's a good quality one, odds are that it will carry on leaking. They tend to be made down to price and corrode.

geoffj

If its leaking then its time to replace it. Find the mains stopcock and do a proper job. As a last resort, you could use the stop cock out in the street.

wwaswas

well done for painting the wall pink between taking the two pictures, though 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

Well I've done it! I borrowed a little spanner from my model steam engine building neighbour and turned it off. Thanks for the support!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Plumber help please – need to replace my dishwasher but the inline tap is stuck’ is closed to new replies.