Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Pls recomend me a road bike for 600-800 squids
  • marionheck
    Free Member

Evening.

Anyone recommend me a bike in the 600-800 range, for a friend. Her limit is 1k, but not sure it is worth her spending that much.

Have seen the carbon offerings from planet x and ribble, which really do look like great value for money, but was wondering if there is anything else out there. I know they are a bit more than i am looking for, i think she would be better off buying a few more bits of clothing and stuff rather than spend the full 1k on just purely the bike.

But looking at the the two carbon ones they really do seem head and tale above the offereing from the main stream bike shops for the same price range.

So any one bought / or know of a great bike in this price range.

Many thanks

Dave

Bregante

/url]

Just been reading up on the Planet X pro carbon – now £899. Gets a great write up.

wwaswas

talk to planet-x – if you can't stretch to carbon get the Alu one – same geometry and a cracking ride.

Ed2001
    Free Member

First she needs to decide what she wants it for, race, train, sportive, leisure ride, commute etc etc. Then she needs to make sure she gets a bike that fits her properly. Planet x, ribble etc sell perfectly good cookie cutter carbon framed bikes but they may be completerly unsuitable for the riding she intends to do. This is the sensible advice.
    The less sensible but more atractive view is to be seduced by carbon and shiny groupsets and blow nearly £1000 on an unsuitabe bike you have never sat on from the internet.

poppa
    Free Member

Do planet-x come built or do you have to do it yourself?

fbk
    Free Member

Current offer is "Built for free" so built (saves you the normal £100 fee).

They take a lot of beating, especially with the current offers

aP
    Free Member

Is this a bike for someone who's never ridden a road bike being advised by someone who knows nothing about road bikes?
    I'd really, really recommend that she starts off by going to her LBS at least to start with.

Ed2001
    Free Member

aP you just know that won't happen its so easy to look at the bikes at places like planet x, ribble etc push a few buttons and hey you've bought a bike, simple, easy, non threatening. My first thought is buying a race bike like a planet x , ribble just as winter arrives 😯

marionheck
    Free Member

this is mainly for recreational riding. She will never race, more just for the fun of going out. Want comfortable geometry with a fairly short top tube so she is fairly up rife and relaxed.

She has ridden my road bike ( a cervelo, my wifes, a look and her boyfriends a trek) so she has had a feel of what size bikes she likes and what sort of geometry. I have a failty good idea of the sizifn of the frame for her.

I am just after any other decent bikes out there for me to look at int his price range.

I have ridden and raced on road bikes for 6 years now, so feel i am quialifed to advise. just looking to find anything I have missed.

Many thanks for all your thoughts. Any more bike ideas?

simon_g

Spesh Dolce Sport or Elite looks pretty good for that. Meant to be a bit more relaxed and compliant than a full-on race bike too.

marionheck
    Free Member

Thank you simon, will have a look at them.

Cheers

Dave

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Pls recomend me a road bike for 600-800 squids’ is closed to new replies.