Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Plinth heaters in kitchens; any good?
  • IHN

Operation Deargodwillthiseverbefinished continues apace (a slow pace) at IHN Towers.

The kitchen and utility room are being knocked into one, new swanky kitchen etc etc. The layout will be such that there will be no exposed walls on which to hang a radiator, so our heating options are plinth heaters or underfloor heating.

Are plinth heaters any good?

thehustler
    Free Member

the fan type kick out good heat, but they chew electricity

IHN

More than electric underfloor heating would?

v8ninety

Central heating connected plinth heaters (smiths type) have a thermostat controlled fan, are effective and avoid the electric bill issues. Bit noisy though.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

I’ve had both the central heating, plumbed in version and now the electric only version.
    It’s only used as a back up and very rarely at that.
    As others have said, they’re noisy and I’d only regard them as a last resort.

z1ppy

No idea about plinth but our electric under floor heating is just brilliant… can’t say how much it costs but we only have it on low, and didn’t check consumption pre kitchen re-do.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

water based underfloor – mine was cheap to install and is soooooo good.

jb72
    Free Member

I don’t think I’d want to try and heat a room just using plinth heaters.

razorrazoo

I’d try and avoid it due to the noise of the things, we had a similar need in a small kitchen, but hardly used it due to the noise and the localised blowing of hot air.

IHN

Can’t really do water-based due to issues with floor heights.

justinbieber

Contrary to what has been said above, we have 2 central heating fed plinth heaters in our kitchen, and while they are a little bit noisy, it’s not unbearable and they work pretty well. They are the only heaters in the kitchen and they do a pretty good job of heating the space evenly.

Underfloor would have been ideal, but the cost put us off as we would have had to dig down

IHN

When we say noisy, do we mean as noisy as a ‘normal’ fan heater?

v8ninety

Less noisy than a normal can heater, and two settings too. They are a ‘bit’ noisy, rather than obtrusive noisy. IMO.

stumpy01

Interesting – didn’t realise you could get ones that plumb into your central heating…..

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Plinth heaters are noisy, but they’re great on a cold morning when warm air hits your ankles and re-routes up your dressing gown…

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Can’t really do water-based due to issues with floor heights.

We didn’t think we could either but did and didn’t have to dig down.

divenwob
    Free Member

You can get some really thin UFH setups,probably best at 16mm overall depth,you can lay timber flooring / Tiles directly on top.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

What type of floor is it? Screed or joists. If joists water UFH isn’t that difficult to install. I also know someone who had his screed floor dug out to install water UFH, wasn’t too expensive but one hell of a messy job. I had a ch connected plinth heater in my first house. It was pretty useless. Luckily it was a small kitchen so by leaving the door open the heat from the adjadcent rooms rads was enough to heat it.

crankboy
    Free Member

We have a small otherwise unheated kitchen with a fan type electric plinth heater. It is rarely used but on a cold winters morning it goes on and is effective. We normally leave the door open to allow the wood burner in the living room to heat the kitchen. Or rely on the heat from the oven or stove. Our kitchen is truely very small we are probably among the few who looked at Millibands “second” kitchen with envy before the full story came out.

chestrockwell

I had a Dimplex one in my old (small) kitchen. It did the job reasonably well and wasn’t too noisy. The thermostat was keen though so it cut out earlier then necessary.

allfankledup

We had a kickspace heater at my parents, which I think is the old name for a plinth heater

Whilst they worked fine, they were normally blocked by one of our staffies

jools182
    Free Member

I’ve got a central heating one

It is a bit noisy, but nothing ridiculous, just squeaky until it gets going 😀

It’s a small kitchen and I didn’t want a radiator on the wall

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Plinth heaters in kitchens; any good?’ is closed to new replies.