Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 134 total)
  • Plebgate, the rulers strike back!
  • MSP

How dare you cause embarrassment to the ruling classes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20751703

ohnohesback
    Free Member

No good deed goes unpunished.

binners

You can shoot darker coloured people repeatedly in the head. That’s fine. We don’t mind that. But don’t you be bloody questioning your betters, you bloody peasant!!

julianwilson
    Free Member

Hopefully alongside this case, the investigation into the “false information” in the log-book will also remind us of what Andrew Mitchell does actually think of us normal voters/taxpayers. You’d have thought they would have just moved the ‘offending’ officer sideways and tried to bury the whole embarrasing thing. 😈

molgrips
    Free Member

I guess you lot know much more about this than anyone else, perhaps you should write into the BBC cos they seem to know less than you.

binners

You’d have thought they would have just moved the ‘offending’ officer sideways and tried to bury the whole embarrasing thing.

Quite. But the thing with this lot of Tories is that they’re so inherently nasty and spiteful, particularly Call-me-Dave, that the desire for vengeance over-rides everything. Even if its completely counter productive.

For a start, its thrown the whole thing back into the spotlight, but I suspect there’s further elements to this, that are lying in wait to bite them on the arse. They’re really not remotely as bright as they smugly think they are

D0NK

Hang on so senior politician says “the police are lying” in the national media, no problems, but when a policeman says “no we’re not, look” that’ll get you arrested. hmmmmm. Disciplinary possibly but arrested?

edit or has he been arrested for a shedload of leaks and plebgate is just one of them?

molgrips
    Free Member

They’re really not remotely as bright as they smugly think they are

Ironing 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Disgusting. Didn’t this shower of **** that call themselves a government learn anything from the fictional inquiry on leaking in The Thick Of It?

I guess you lot know much more about this than anyone else, perhaps you should write into the BBC cos they seem to know less than you.

WTF are you on about?

deviant
    Free Member

Regardless of the case, a source (possibly the officer) has seemingly leaked an official police report to the press….very naughty, every serving officer knows this isn’t to be done.

binners

David Mellors comments in the Guardian are priceless

The former Tory minister David Mellor said it was good news that the police finally seemed to be taking leaks to the media seriously. “What happened in the Mitchell case was a serious breach of duty with not only the full details of police reports being leaked, but the actual documents being handed over to newspapers,” he said.

“This was disgraceful. The question has to be asked, what took them so long?”

After everything that’s come out with the Leveson Inquiry, there’s a certain irony (clearly lost on them) to Tory MP’s getting on their high horses and pontificating about collusion between the police and the press

You really couldn’t make it up 🙄

geoffj

WTF are you on about?

Perhaps molly is on about the fact that Andrew Mitchell has steadfastly refused to admit that he used the term attributed to him and perhaps, just perhaps he has told the truth.

IMHO the way he remonstrated / behaved with the plods on the gate was enough for him to go, irrespective of what he actually called them.

MSP

Regardless of the case, a source (possibly the officer) has seemingly leaked an official police report to the press….very naughty, every serving officer knows this isn’t to be done.

Yes and there have been many serious cases ignored and left uninvestigated, however embarrass a politician and reveal his lies (whistleblowing by most peoples definition) then don’t expect to be overlooked in the same manner.

deviant
    Free Member

Forget this case in particular….and I know that will be hard for the class warriors on here.
    I ‘could’ release to the press radio conversations, reports and emails about what happens in the ambulance and some of the shocking (life threatening) decisions that are made….I don’t however because although the issues would at last be in the public domain and backed by evidence I would find myself out on my ear as neither my employer or by professional registering body would consider this appropriate behaviour and its a massive breach of confidentiality.

I suspect this is the real issue here but the usual suspects will scream ‘tory conspiracy’ of course.

chakaping
    Free Member

Perhaps molly is on about the fact that Andrew Mitchell has steadfastly refused to admit that he used the term attributed to him and perhaps, just perhaps he has told the truth.

The word of a policeman is usually considered adequate evidence to convict somebody.

True, but there are many, many more leaks of official docs by politicians on all sides. Leaking was actually part of David Cameron’s policy making process in the early stages of the coalition.

Weren’t many arrests that I can remember though.

druidh
    Free Member

And we know that’s always a guaranteed success….

chakaping
    Free Member

And we know that’s always a guaranteed success…

Well, glib point-scoring aside, it does tend to work quite well most of the time.

binners

The issue here, for me, is the blatant bloody hypocrisy of it. The Tories, as Levenson has repeatedly shown, have been more than happy to collude with the nice, cosy relationship between the police and the press (owned, lest we forget, by their fellow ‘kitchen supper’ guests). Mainly as these leaks generally tend to suit their right-of-centre agenda’s.

So its a bit bloody rich to now start moralising about it when, for the very first time, the same cosy relationship delivers up something you don’t like.

They’ve been more than happy to use these avenues for years! Therefore, when you’ve been happy to do so, you can’t then say you’re horrified that such things occur, and expect not to be laughed at.

br
    Free Member

But the thing with this lot of Tories is that they’re so inherently nasty and spiteful, particularly Call-me-Dave, that the desire for vengeance over-rides everything. Even if its completely counter productive.

Nothing to do with them been ‘Tories’, its the Politico-Classes, and they ain’t limited to politics – you’ll meet them in all walks of life, usually they’re management…

cynic-al
    Free Member

druidh – Member

chakaping »
    The word of a policeman is usually considered adequate evidence to convict somebody.

And we know that’s always a guaranteed success….

More importantly, it’s guff. In Scotland at least you need corroboration, and coppers’ evidence is challenged daily in the courts.

billyboy
    Free Member

If the arrested officer was selling info from police computer systems for personal gain, then that is probably not a good thing.

If he/she was just revealing The Truth to the Nation out of a sense of public duty, then that is a good thing.

Either way “arresting anyone for telling/conveying the truth to the public” has got to be a morally questionable act in itself. But then the Met currently has Hogan-Howe in charge and he is a government attack dog.

The way I view it, they are putting in a lot of effort in trying to ensure that the next Mr Mitchell is allowed to behave like a complete shit with impunity, and that is not a good thing.
    I also believe that is the undeclared aim of MacAlpine’s legal campaign against anyone who mentioned his name in an attempt to bring clarity to the recent foggy mess of a public sex scandal. Setting aside the fact that MacAlpine seems to be innocent of a matter that is now never going to be properly investigated, I believe his current legal moves are going to ensure that there is less danger of the ruling classes being confronted with their sins in the future.

The public good is not being served.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Didn’t we just have a big report into press standards, which covered, amongst other things, the totally unacceptable practice of police officers illegally leaking information to the press, often in return for money.

Leve.. Levershon or something, I seem to recall it being called…

julianwilson
    Free Member

Zulu- yes indeed.
    What will be interesting is whether the prosecution offending/leaking officer (and whether he/she was paid by the press), or what Mitchell really said/did ultimately makes the most headlines and is remembered in 5 years time. 😆

konabunny
    Free Member

Is it pish.

binners

I thought that 2 coppers had written the same thing in their notes about Mitchells outburst. And I’m not having it that they could have discussed it first, to get it straight. As that would be wrong, and I’m sure the police would never dream of doing such a thing 😆

Having said that; Mitchell’s repeated assertion that he ‘did not use the words attributed to me’. And his refusal to expand on that, sounds a bit like Bill Clintons “I did not have relations with that woman” comment. ie: a right load of old bollox

cookeaa

I was listening to the recurrent waffle about this on the way in to work this morning and couldn’t help but think it sort of had to happen, post Leveson report, with complaints about Police and Press being a bit cozy and what not…

Rozzers just shouldn’t be leaking any documents right? Irrespective of motive, or set against the behaviour of a twatty politician, it’s a fundamental cornerstone of policing; the leaking of documents will compromise cases and convictions, and hence should not happen and is a serious issue.

I don’t doubt that Andrew Mitchell is a lying scumbag but reading between the lines this was a relatively minor altercation that has massively overun it’s course and scope.

TBH this could have been allowed to slide by now it was three months ago, Mitchell’s in the dog house and the story had slipped out of peoples minds for the most part, I certainly doubt anyone was particularly fixated on who leaked the information.

I find it interesting that the follow up has been handled quite so publicly (by the Met?) and that Ministers have seen fit to comment at all, I’m not actually all that sure the Tory’s are that complicit in this officer’s public shoeing, had they been properly briefed they’d all be saying.

“It would be inappropriate for me to comment on an ongoing investigation”

Or words to that effect…

As it is it has the net, negative effect of appearing as though a bunch of Tories are gloating having gotten a plod scalp as revenge for one of their own…

Everyone’s a loser in this particular game it seems.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I haven’t read all the above.

There should be questions about the need for and the correctness of the arrest, which may include mention of Richardson v Chief Constable of West Midlands [2011] EWHC 773 (QB) and the policeman prolly has a answer in public interest.

Meanwhile some of us plebs, who make up the public, are very interested in the doings of our betters.

And it will get very interesting if the Sun and the DT, who used the info, have the guts to get involved.

robdixon
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20764044

something’s a bit fishy here – now one of the original officers who claimed to have witnessed the altercation is being investigated…

nicko74

Didn’t we just have a big report into press standards, which covered, amongst other things, the totally unacceptable practice of police officers illegally leaking information to the press, often in return for money.

Leve.. Levershon or something, I seem to recall it being called…
    Well quite. But the whole thing’s a storm in a teacup.

“MP called a policeman a PLEB!!”
    erm… so what?

“Policeman LEAKED the report that an MP called a policeman a PLEB!”
    OK, well that’s fairly naughty, but again, if it hadn’t’ve been blown out of all proportion first time around, this probably wouldn’t have been picked up.

I mean seriously, it’s like two bullies fighting in the playground. Neither of them particularly represents me, and I really don’t like either of them, but it’s quite funny to watch.

konabunny
    Free Member

I mean seriously, it’s like two bullies fighting in the playground. Neither of them particularly represents me, and I really don’t like either of them, but it’s quite funny to watch.

Apart from the fact that only one side did anything unlawful!

allthepies
    Free Member

CH4 news apparently have the CCTV footage and will show it tonight. Silent though so no smoking gun, but this story is looking more and more like a political stitch up on Mitchell.

julianwilson
    Free Member

nicko74 – Member

Well quite. But (in spite of pursuing the most unfortunate and embarrasing possible example of leaked police reports in recent years) the whole thing’s (being touted by the government as) a storm in a teacup.

MP chief whip of governing political party narrowly avoided arrest for a public order offence, using language unrepeatable on this public forum barring the word called a policeman a PLEB!!”
    erm… so what?

“Chief whip publicly denied the above; Policeman LEAKED the report that an MP called a policeman a PLEB! detailing the circumstances of chief whip’s near arrest”

OK, well that’s fairly naughty, but again, if it hadn’t’ve been blown out of all proportion the chief whip of the governing political party hadn’t tried to lie his way out of it the first time around, this probably wouldn’t have been picked up.

There, fixed it for you. 😀

robdixon
    Free Member

Interesting…

“Exclusive: Dispatches and Channel 4 News reveal CCTV footage of the exchange between Andrew Mitchell and police officers that raises questions about the account in police logs leaked to the media.”

CountZero

On the BBC News earlier it seems as though the officer who ‘overheard’ the exchange wasn’t even there!
    If that’s the case, then all the newspapers and politicians whining about it was unacceptable that a whistleblower was being victimised for performing a public good might all be wearing an omelette facial… 😀

allthepies
    Free Member

FTFY 🙂

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Ooh, watching the video on C4 now!

its really not looking good for plod is it?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A political stitch up on the massive cock Mitchell?

Frankly, my heart bleeds.

igrf
    Free Member

Zulu-Eleven – Member
    Ooh, watching the video on C4 now!

its really not looking good for plod is it?

No, not at all and watching that video of him leaving he didn’t appear to be ranting in the way I might have if they’d made me walk around and I was something to do with the cabinet, I’d have demanded they be shot at the very least. Coppers, I hate every last one of them.

mefty
    Free Member

Doesn’t look good for the police or their federation whose denial of Mitchell coming clean at their meeting is laughable in light of recording.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Has Ed Milliband called for a judge led inquiry yet?

😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘Plebgate, the rulers strike back!’ is closed to new replies.